DEFIANCE game and TV show - sink or swim?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

--- merged: Apr 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM ---

--- merged: Apr 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM ---
It does not look like it will be torn down . I believe like you guys said . When the weather get's warmer . They will begin shooting again . Sure the show is silly but I won't mind if it keeps going as I would really like to watch a bit of the work that goes into shooting a series . My daughter is in college taking Broadcasting and Communications . I am hoping she can get in on the action somehow , even if it is to get coffee's and also she is at the top of her class and has already won a Dean's Award from the college for outstanding filming in her first year . And yes ,,, It was a short Si-Fi film . :) :) :)

:daniel_new_anime021: Kudos to her!

And great job on the pics. So fascinating to see things from a different perspective.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Ok, this show is officially gutter trash....an S&M bondage scene? Is that what they think they need to do to being in viewers?

I'd rather they did what I suggested to boost SGU ratings:

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/would-cannibalism-attract-viewers-to-sgu.23246/

as the ep progressed i was thinking that "hey this ep is a bit more watchable" then, the frying pan and the whore--WTF? really, WTF?

and the teen angst chic needs wardrobe to get her pants that fit-she is fat (or at least looks it the way they have her dressed)

the Datak-or whatever Mr "Alf meets Tony Soprano" character's name is kind of growing on me-but that is not saying much

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True, Datak's character was a bit less intolerable. He may be the equivalent of a gangster but at least he has courage - stood and fought for the town in the premiere and here fought the Hellbugs to defend his family.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Ok, this show is officially gutter trash....an S&M bondage scene? Is that what they think they need to do to being in viewers?

I actually groaned and rolled my eyes at the clunky S&M scene, it was that bad. It was a perfect example of hack writing. It wasn't shocking. It wasn't titillating. It was just dumb.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I haven't been able to sit through an entire episode since the pilot. I got bored about 5 minutes into yesterday's ep and changed the channel to watch Fast 5 for the 3rd time.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I haven't been able to sit through an entire episode since the pilot. I got bored about 5 minutes into yesterday's ep and changed the channel to watch Fast 5 for the 3rd time.

I had the same reaction the the Warehouse 13 premiere. I actually changed the channel about 3 minutes into it. I couldn't help thinking that this Monday night line up on SyFy really ain't doing it for me anymore.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

watching defiance = cure for insomnia
--- merged: Apr 30, 2013 at 8:23 AM ---
I actually groaned and rolled my eyes at the clunky S&M scene, it was that bad. It was a perfect example of hack writing. It wasn't shocking. It wasn't titillating. It was just dumb.

yeah, i mean who does that--cook in bed?
:anim_59:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I have only seen 2 episodes so far . I am going to watch it because it was and is being made steps from my house in an industrial park . I have to agree the graphics have been weak in a few spot's and even the story but I really like the gansta guys wife . She does her character perfectly . I would have never guessed it was Jules Vern from Ware House 13 and Dexter's ex dead girlfriend plus Dexter's deceased wife is the Mayor .
I have noticed a theme over the last few years or so and I am sure you have also noticed this . A lot of the new shows are apocalyptic . End of days themes in every one or alien invasion . You would think they would try something else for a Si-Fi feel to it . Not sure what to be honest . I do not have cable or Sat so I find out about shows from here or adds on regular feeds on HD signals . I get around 8 channels by aerial .
Have to agree though that Defiance at least has a number of different aliens that should keep things interesting though we have really only seen three that I can think of who will have anything to do with how the show moves forward and who are having interations with authority or conniving .

I wish I could be a stand in or extra . Now that would be fun :) Get blown up or have a bar fight or be in the whore house !!! Woohoo !!!
Think I will loiter a little this summer if they are filming again :) :) :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I have only seen 2 episodes so far . I am going to watch it because it was and is being made steps from my house in an industrial park . I have to agree the graphics have been weak in a few spot's and even the story but I really like the gansta guys wife . She does her character perfectly . I would have never guessed it was Jules Vern from Ware House 13 and Dexter's ex dead girlfriend plus Dexter's deceased wife is the Mayor .

Yes, Jaime Murray is great! She does really good work in whatever she's in. Julie Benz is good too. :beckett_new049:

I have noticed a theme over the last few years or so and I am sure you have also noticed this . A lot of the new shows are apocalyptic . End of days themes in every one or alien invasion . You would think they would try something else for a Si-Fi feel to it . Not sure what to be honest . I do not have cable or Sat so I find out about shows from here or adds on regular feeds on HD signals . I get around 8 channels by aerial .
Have to agree though that Defiance at least has a number of different aliens that should keep things interesting though we have really only seen three that I can think of who will have anything to do with how the show moves forward and who are having interations with authority or conniving .

I wish I could be a stand in or extra . Now that would be fun :) Get blown up or have a bar fight or be in the whore house !!! Woohoo !!! Think I will loiter a little this summer if they are filming again :):):)

You should totally sign up to be an extra on the show! I'd do it in a heartbeat if I lived close enough to a production site. :daniel_new_anime021:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

The show seems to have certain things in it because they are in the game. Its the reason they are using money in this show. Money? And Im really hating the way the "aliens" have personality flaws and behaviors that are totally, completely human and even follow the personas of Old West type characters. The "alien" female doctor calls her patients bitches? So, there were dogs on the alien planets and they were there long enough for the term for a female dog to be associated with an undisciplined female? Why is there a whore house in this town? Really? Wouldn't people just hook up and do the nasty without ever needing to go to a brothel? Why are certain private individuals controlling resources in Defiance? Why are most of the alien animals in the show hellbent on attacking everyone? All because the game has these things in it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The show seems to have certain things in it because they are in the game. Its the reason they are using money in this show. Money? And Im really hating the way the "aliens" have personality flaws and behaviors that are totally, completely human and even follow the personas of Old West type characters. The "alien" female doctor calls her patients bitches? So, there were dogs on the alien planets and they were there long enough for the term for a female dog to be associated with an undisciplined female? Why is there a whore house in this town? Really? Wouldn't people just hook up and do the nasty without ever needing to go to a brothel? Why are certain private individuals controlling resources in Defiance? Why are most of the alien animals in the show hellbent on attacking everyone? All because the game has these things in it.

Such good points you make. You've got me revved up now, lol! :anim_59:

#1. Money -- what is their currency based on? What gives it value? I highly doubt that in a world that messed up that gold would have much value as a base for currency. Hell, in ancient times salt held more value than gold because it was useful. Are we expected to believe that the larger government that they alluded to is minting currency? If so, the question still stands of what gives this currency value in a world of privation?

#2. Giving aliens human personas replete with fully developed language skills including the casual use of slang is ridiculous. This show fails on an epic scale on this point.

#3. Private ownership of major resources and industry also begs the question of currency and where it gets its value. You could get some people to work for you if you paid them in potatoes but you wouldn't get anyone to work for you if you paid them in worthless paper. So, again, this show fails by not explaining how things work.

#4. Why would a town like Defiance, which is a closed town, have a prison? I can understand having a jail, you know, a place to toss the town drunks on occasion, but there's no way a town that is besieged by attackers on a regular basis and struggles to survive would waste time or resources housing murderous criminals long term. They would either put the offenders to death or they would exile them into the surrounding wastelands. It really is that simple.

The way I see it these folks are writing some incredibly bone-headed stuff and are expecting us to swallow it. That's just insulting to the viewer's intelligence.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Man you guys are hard on shows lol . Keep up the good work . I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so I come here to get the goods on what is what . Anytime I watch a show I am not catching half the stuff you guys and gals are pointing out :) :) :) I guess that's why I have to watch them a few times to get the gist of things .

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually a lot of these issues would resolve themselves if the writers had remembered in the pilot to actually explain the backstory and premise of the show. Aliens speaking English is not that big a stretch as they have been here 30 years or more, and indeed many are born on Earth and grew up in communities with both humans and aliens - so some melding of the cultures is to be expected. Again, this type of stuff should at least have been referred to in the pilot.

It is the total lack of backstory that drives questions about how they even can have an economy and so forth.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Man you guys are hard on shows lol . Keep up the good work . I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so I come here to get the goods on what is what . Anytime I watch a show I am not catching half the stuff you guys and gals are pointing out :) :) :) I guess that's why I have to watch them a few times to get the gist of things .

Believe it or not I really don't want to be hard on this show; I want to like it. We need good scifi shows on TV so I'm all for that. It's just very disappointing when a show that has so much effort put into it turns out to not be written very well. I can generally overlook holes in the premise but not when they get so big that I can drive a truck thru them.

I still think you should try to be an extra on the show if given the chance. It would probably be fun. Hell, I'd do it just for the experience and fun time of it all despite not being a raving fan of this particular show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually a lot of these issues would resolve themselves if the writers had remembered in the pilot to actually explain the backstory and premise of the show. Aliens speaking English is not that big a stretch as they have been here 30 years or more, and indeed many are born on Earth and grew up in communities with both humans and aliens - so some melding of the cultures is to be expected. Again, this type of stuff should at least have been referred to in the pilot.

It is the total lack of backstory that drives questions about how they even can have an economy and so forth.

I get that, but have you ever been to St Louis MO? If so, you would know that the culture in the town of Defiance is not representative of St Louis at all. More like Houston TX of the mid 1800s, or perhaps Tulsa OK. Im not willing to give them a pass on that one. They are trying their hardest to re-skin the standard Western genre into a scifi-drama and the way these characters act and interact reflects that directly. We even have the main character Nolan taking on his Sheriff's badge:

Untitled-1.png

The show is literally CONTRIVED to make the game fly. The snarky female alien doctor is trying to channel a country doctor with a foul mouth but it just doesn't work at all because she is an ALIEN. Arent aliens supposed to act well...alien? Even some sort of accent or weird inflection or something not human. No amount of backstory could explain the use of money in Defiance or anywhere on earth after the Arkfalls. Nor could it explain how private individuals could "own" or control important resources. The alien gangster boss and his wife make absolutely no sense at all to me. They all look like rejects from the Malfoy family in Harry Potter. :anim_59:
--- merged: Apr 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM ---

Its sorta like when you first detect a fart. You say to yourself "Ew...who just cut a fart"? You begin searching with your eyes for the sheepish facial expression, or the telltale lifting of the hips to one side. :confused0006:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I wish I could be a stand in or extra . Now that would be fun :) Get blown up or have a bar fight or be in the whore house !!! Woohoo !!!
Think I will loiter a little this summer if they are filming again :) :) :)

ASK! You might be surprised. :) Make a friend.

HINT: Identify the casting director's ASSISTANT. The way in is through the assistants, never the department head. ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

You are just soooo negative!
:jaded:

Its people like you and your nasty attitudes that get good shows like this and SGU cancelled.. I bet your not even paying to watch it are you?

:icon_rotflmao:
--- merged: Apr 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM ---
I get that, but have you ever been to St Louis MO? If so, you would know that the culture in the town of Defiance is not representative of St Louis at all. More like Houston TX of the mid 1800s, or perhaps Tulsa OK. Im not willing to give them a pass on that one. They are trying their hardest to re-skin the standard Western genre into a scifi-drama and the way these characters act and interact reflects that directly. We even have the main character Nolan taking on his Sheriff's badge:

View attachment 28156

The show is literally CONTRIVED to make the game fly. The snarky female alien doctor is trying to channel a country doctor with a foul mouth but it just doesn't work at all because she is an ALIEN. Arent aliens supposed to act well...alien? Even some sort of accent or weird inflection or something not human. No amount of backstory could explain the use of money in Defiance or anywhere on earth after the Arkfalls. Nor could it explain how private individuals could "own" or control important resources. The alien gangster boss and his wife make absolutely no sense at all to me. They all look like rejects from the Malfoy family in Harry Potter. :anim_59:
--- merged: Apr 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM ---

Its sorta like when you first detect a fart. You say to yourself "Ew...who just cut a fart"? You begin searching with your eyes for the sheepish facial expression, or the telltale lifting of the hips to one side. :confused0006:

I think we have to consider also, that given a majority of the main cast is not American then their accents and manner of speaking is being forced on them by way of their dialect coach-who in turn is getting orders from the director I presume.

And another thing-we heard about some "Earth Alliance" and some other government, why are we not getting anything from them on screen? They can't just drop that stuff in and leave it untouched. Surely there are many other settlements in the world struggling or what have you in this world.

And just what the hell are they mining for anyway? One would think that plenty of resources are lying around as scrap--just another weak plot device i say.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
All I can say is, man, that was a great S&M scene....