DEFIANCE game and TV show - sink or swim?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
All I can say is, man, that was a great S&M scene....

images

Tripler

Well Known GateFan

I was thinking the same thing . Bacon grease would have done a much better job than those magic mushrooms she was cooking . :) :) :)
--- merged: May 2, 2013 1:13 AM ---
I know you guys are chewing the show up and yes ,,,I see the holes also but I am really getting a kick out of this show as I try to spot the scenes where I took pics of the set . I am constantly pausing and going back and forth with the show to get closer looks at the set . It blows my mind as to how they make that site look so much larger than it is . Trust me when I tell you . The site they shoot at is very small . I will get a precise square footage of the area for you so you have a better idea as to how they work there magic in the edit room and the blue screen .

PS . That is my daughter's forte at school . She loves to edit . It is amazing that a kid that had such a tough time in grade and highschool and was almost an f student all the time , becomes an A student when she goes to College :) :) :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I was thinking the same thing . Bacon grease would have done a much better job than those magic mushrooms she was cooking . :) :) :)
--- merged: May 2, 2013 1:13 AM ---
I know you guys are chewing the show up and yes ,,,I see the holes also but I am really getting a kick out of this show as I try to spot the scenes where I took pics of the set . I am constantly pausing and going back and forth with the show to get closer looks at the set . It blows my mind as to how they make that site look so much larger than it is . Trust me when I tell you . The site they shoot at is very small . I will get a precise square footage of the area for you so you have a better idea as to how they work there magic in the edit room and the blue screen .

PS . That is my daughter's forte at school . She loves to edit . It is amazing that a kid that had such a tough time in grade and highschool and was almost an f student all the time , becomes an A student when she goes to College :) :) :)

Different learning environment dude :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I know you guys are chewing the show up and yes ,,,I see the holes also but I am really getting a kick out of this show as I try to spot the scenes where I took pics of the set .

It's cool if you like the show. Don't let some of our opinions about it bother you one bit. As I said, if I was in your shoes I'd be excited about having the production right in my own backyard. Nothing wrong with enjoying that aspect of it at all. :beckett_new049:

I am constantly pausing and going back and forth with the show to get closer looks at the set . It blows my mind as to how they make that site look so much larger than it is . Trust me when I tell you . The site they shoot at is very small . I will get a precise square footage of the area for you so you have a better idea as to how they work there magic in the edit room and the blue screen .

After seeing the pics you posted I found myself sort of doing the same thing as I watched the show. :anim_59: It's kind of hard not to look closely at the background to compare it to your pics.

Funny how things change so quickly in just a few short years. Good thing that they changed for the better in this case. :daniel_new_anime021:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

128977704323210964.jpg

I dunno...if I had $150+ million invested in a "transmedia" pet project that was failing, I would want to make sure that milestones were being met. I might just falsely pump up numbers to keep the gravy train running (if I lacked integrity). Why dont they say "Over 1 million GAMES SOLD"? The comments at that link are not exactly glowing. I own this game...its just not all that.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
View attachment 28167

I dunno...if I had $150+ million invested in a "transmedia" pet project that was failing, I would want to make sure that milestones were being met. I might just falsely pump up numbers to keep the gravy train running (if I lacked integrity). Why dont they say "Over 1 million GAMES SOLD"? The comments at that link are not exactly glowing. I own this game...its just not all that.

I share suspicious cat's suspicion. This article was very vague and brief. It lacked pertinent details such as did all these "registered users" actually pay to access the game online? If not then obviously they're fakes. The game reviews haven't even been luke warm so it's hard to believe that that many people are really into it. And even if the numbers come close to being legit that doesn't mean all those who registered will continue to play the game. The reviews at that link are fairly unanimous that the game is boring.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I share suspicious cat's suspicion. This article was very vague and brief. It lacked pertinent details such as did all these "registered users" actually pay to access the game online? If not then obviously they're fakes. The game reviews haven't even been luke warm so it's hard to believe that that many people are really into it. And even if the numbers come close to being legit that doesn't mean all those who registered will continue to play the game. The reviews at that link are fairly unanimous that the game is boring.

If some pimply kid can get 7000+ followers on Facebook for a revival of SGU, this is a piece of cake for Trion. GAMES SOLD is the metric I want to see. Especially ay $59.00 a pop, I seriously doubt that this game is doing all of that action.

suspicious-dog-500x364.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
If some pimply kid can get 7000+ followers on Facebook for a revival of SGU, this is a piece of cake for Trion. GAMES SOLD is the metric I want to see. Especially ay $59.00 a pop, I seriously doubt that this game is doing all of that action.

Normally I wouldn't feel so negative towards this news, especially if it was legit, but the vagueness of it just smacks of a phony puff piece. And to top it off the guy who wrote it is supposedly a "news editor" who has written about numerous games since 2007. So if this guy is such a great "news editor" why didn't he ask one single question about the verity of this "news"? Where is his sense of journalistic curiosity? Why are we having to do his job for him??? (Hint: Because his job wasn't to ask these questions, it was to pimp the game. Shhh! :winking0052:)

tom_ivan.jpg
Tom Ivan

News Editor

Tom has been writing about games for websites such as CVG, Next-Gen.biz, Edge, OXM and GamesRadar since 2007. His favourite series include anything with football or Mario in it, Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, BioShock, LittleBigPlanet and Call of Duty.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Normally I wouldn't feel so negative towards this news, especially if it was legit, but the vagueness of it just smacks of a phony puff piece. And to top it off the guy who wrote it is supposedly a "news editor" who has written about numerous games since 2007. So if this guy is such a great "news editor" why didn't he ask one single question about the verity of this "news"? Where is his sense of journalistic curiosity? Why are we having to do his job for him??? (Hint: Because his job wasn't to ask these questions, it was to pimp the game. Shhh! :winking0052:)

tom_ivan.jpg

Tom Ivan

News Editor

Tom has been writing about games for websites such as CVG, Next-Gen.biz, Edge, OXM and GamesRadar since 2007. His favourite series include anything with football or Mario in it, Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, BioShock, LittleBigPlanet and Call of Duty.

Stinks to me too....(the press release at this link is from Syfy)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/23/syfys-defiance-continues-to-deliver-in-week-2/179394/

Why dont they say the actual reality...which is that the ratings are LOWER for Episode 3 than the premiere? The snarky comments at that page tell the real story:

Capture.PNG

download.png

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
View attachment 28167

I dunno...if I had $150+ million invested in a "transmedia" pet project that was failing, I would want to make sure that milestones were being met.
There is no prof that it is "failing" dude, It was the highest new show opener on Syfy since W13 debuted, it sold over 250k units in it's first week across the 3 platforms (PS3/360/PC; source: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250891/weekly-sales-analysis-6-april-defiance/ )
That's 1 week of sales, I dunno what makes people think it suddenly stops selling after the first week...........
Even IF it suddenly stopped selling, that first week ALONE represents 175 million in sales on the game, let alone revenue generated from ad space over the hour. (which even at a paltry 50k per spot is 1.5 mil for the hour)
I might just falsely pump up numbers to keep the gravy train running (if I lacked integrity). Why dont they say "Over 1 million GAMES SOLD"? The comments at that link are not exactly glowing. I own this game...its just not all that.

True, I have not found ONE SINGLE glowing review of the game OR the show. You here "ambitious" and "Great concept" but that does not mean it's not a polly waffle waiting to happen.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
^ :anim_59: "GingerAle" is my fave!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
There is no prof that it is "failing" dude, It was the highest new show opener on Syfy since W13 debuted, it sold over 250k units in it's first week across the 3 platforms (PS3/360/PC; source: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250891/weekly-sales-analysis-6-april-defiance/ )
That's 1 week of sales, I dunno what makes people think it suddenly stops selling after the first week...........
Even IF it suddenly stopped selling, that first week ALONE represents 175 million in sales on the game, let alone revenue generated from ad space over the hour. (which even at a paltry 50k per spot is 1.5 mil for the hour)

True, I have not found ONE SINGLE glowing review of the game OR the show. You here "ambitious" and "Great concept" but that does not mean it's not a polly waffle waiting to happen.

Oh I'm not contesting that there wasn't an initial selling spree due to the way the show and game were pumped. I'm just doubting that they have the stamina to keep it going. It's not a hard assumption to make based upon real reviews of the show (from viewers) and real reviews of the game (from game players).

250k units for the first week for a show and game so heavily pumped really isn't shocking. What's shocking is reading that over 1 million people have registered to play the game after finding out that it wasn't that stellar. And I find it very hard to believe that 750k games sold over the following 2 weeks to get to that magic 1 million mark that they're touting for "registered users".

There's definitely something hokey here. :daniel01:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Oh I'm not contesting that there wasn't an initial selling spree due to the way the show and game were pumped. I'm just doubting that they have the stamina to keep it going. It's not a hard assumption to make based upon real reviews of the show (from viewers) and real reviews of the game (from game players).
I don't find it hard to believe at all. Remember, the people drawn to the game by the show *may not* be "gaming regulars", so they won't bother to read reviews and such, plus they are the ones who are already "sold" on the show anyway.

250k units for the first week for a show and game so heavily pumped really isn't shocking. What's shocking is reading that over 1 million people have registered to play the game after finding out that it wasn't that stellar.
Again, they may not have known "upfront"
And I find it very hard to believe that 750k games sold over the following 2 weeks to get to that magic 1 million mark that they're touting for "registered users".
Almost 4 1/2 weeks from day of release (2nd April) to date of article (3rd May).
There's definitely something hokey here. :daniel01:
One thing to bear in mind is that the game is not using a subscription model, so 1 mill is believable for sales giving you your "magic accounts" number.
HOWEVER, *nothing* says that those accounts are still actively being used. OM if he registered would be one of those million who bought the game, but no longer has any interest in playing it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I don't find it hard to believe at all. Remember, the people drawn to the game by the show *may not* be "gaming regulars", so they won't bother to read reviews and such, plus they are the ones who are already "sold" on the show anyway.

Again, they may not have known "upfront"

Almost 4 1/2 weeks from day of release (2nd April) to date of article (3rd May).

One thing to bear in mind is that the game is not using a subscription model, so 1 mill is believable for sales giving you your "magic accounts" number.
HOWEVER, *nothing* says that those accounts are still actively being used. OM if he registered would be one of those million who bought the game, but no longer has any interest in playing it.

When I said "the following 2 weeks" I was thinking of the TV show start date, which I think was April 15th. I forgot the game was released sooner and was using the TV time frame. So, if I understand your point correctly, you're saying that the game sold 250k units before the TV show even aired? If so, then what are the numbers for the units sold once the show premiered? Why wouldn't they give quantities of games sold instead of claiming that 1 million people had registered? You gotta admit dude, that is a dubious way for them to prove success, especially since hard numbers for units sold would be better proof.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
When I said "the following 2 weeks" I was thinking of the TV show start date, which I think was April 15th. I forgot the game was released sooner and was using the TV time frame. So, if I understand your point correctly, you're saying that the game sold 250k units before the TV show even aired?
You got it dude :)
If so, then what are the numbers for the units sold once the show premiered? Why wouldn't they give quantities of games sold instead of claiming that 1 million people had registered?
Sales figures may be harder to pull across multiple platforms? Trion having the servers would be able to know how many people are playing in total, but perhaps not on what system they are on? I dunno bro.
You gotta admit dude, that is a dubious way for them to prove success, especially since hard numbers for units sold would be better proof.

For sure, by saying they have 1M registered units is a way for them to "technically" tell the truth when it's not sales. I dunno how easy it is to crack games across the 3 platforms, I assume not hard if you know what you are doing, and for the sake of press, they may not care if a few hundred thousand subs are not "paid for" at this point.

It's all spin dude, and quite honestly, how many peeps are gonna note the difference between "sales" and "subs"?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When I said "the following 2 weeks" I was thinking of the TV show start date, which I think was April 15th. I forgot the game was released sooner and was using the TV time frame. So, if I understand your point correctly, you're saying that the game sold 250k units before the TV show even aired? If so, then what are the numbers for the units sold once the show premiered? Why wouldn't they give quantities of games sold instead of claiming that 1 million people had registered? You gotta admit dude, that is a dubious way for them to prove success, especially since hard numbers for units sold would be better proof.

THIS. It is classic spin. We saw it with SGU because we were looking very closely at that show...this one is getting similar scrutiny and the tricks are not that well hidden. The game is really nothing special. I registered to play the game but I have not played it past the first episode. Too boring...like the show.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Stinks to me too....(the press release at this link is from Syfy)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/23/syfys-defiance-continues-to-deliver-in-week-2/179394/

Why dont they say the actual reality...which is that the ratings are LOWER for Episode 3 than the premiere? The snarky comments at that page tell the real story:

View attachment 28169

View attachment 28170

i think it all comes down to syfy will do just about anything--more like say anything--to re-legit itself as a source of sci fi entertainment.

but i also think it is too late for them.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I just want to be clear, I'm not out to intentionally hate on this show, but I just can't stand when it's obvious that I'm being lied to in regards to its success. It's insulting to my intelligence.

In short, don't piss on my face and tell me it's raining cuz I'm not that stupid. :daniel01: