DEFIANCE game and TV show - sink or swim?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The funny part is if the game is expecting people to watch the show to get the backstory then they have a big problem. The show thus far has provided zero backstory which is dragging it down - if we actually knew more about these people and their backgrounds the show might approach being enjoyable.

remember how some shows did those "webisodes?" you didn't need to watch them, but if you did you just got some in between the scenes/lines backstory/sidestory (like in the BSG ones where we see that Gaeta was actually a bi-sexual as he had a fling with one of the Sharons).

not necessary to the plot, but if you know it then things have a bit more meaning

I was/am expecting them to say "if you want to know what happenned between here and there-play the game, complete level "#" and see what happens"

that would piss me off

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yup, you guys are hitting it on target. This show is just "meh". If this show was an ice cream flavor it would be vanilla, but wrapped in deceptively showy packaging.

Does anyone else think that this show is trying to be all things to all people? To me that is a recipe for failure. Am I off base on this one?

B

Backstep

Yup, you guys are hitting it on target. This show is just "meh". If this show was an ice cream flavor it would be vanilla, but wrapped in deceptively showy packaging.

Does anyone else think that this show is trying to be all things to all people? To me that is a recipe for failure. Am I off base on this one?

You nailed it. The same failed recipe as SGU.

Bluce Ree

Vanilla has flavor. The show is just shaved ice in a rice cone.

The only element missing from this show is a central cutesy child character but I'm sure that's coming.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

The only element missing from this show is a central cutesey child character but I'm sure that's coming.

:smiley-laughing024:

Yep, when we see that happen we know the show is going down. But to be fair, you don't see children in the game. The shooter is rated Mature by ESRB:

ratingsymbol_m.gif

Perhaps we will be spared the cutesy child...but they could easily do it in the form of a small alien with huge anime eyes which makes a sound like a purring kitten. :facepalm: Think Pikachu with teeth.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

The only element missing from this show is a central cutesy child character but I'm sure that's coming.

funny...i am thinking they'll add in some "ewok" like creatures

i was looking on the defiance wiki page- i could of swore that it previously stated the amount of ep's in season 1-but it is not there now-nothing on the official defiance site either

i did find this on the wiki though, i think that most critics are saying much what we are (it feels good to be in the majority now and then):

"Reception

Critical reception of Defiance has been "mixed or average" according to Metacritic.[28] Maureen Ryan of The Huffington Post called it "a smart, well-crafted TV show with a good cast and an adventurous flavor" and added "it's also indisputably science fiction, which is a relief", saying that she felt too many science fiction shows were "watered-down... genre-lite dramas". She also praised the casting, performances and the production design.[29] Ellen Gray of the Philadelphia Daily News noted that "the TV show may not break new ground... but it does stand on its own as a watchable sci-fi series, with a Wild West vibe mixed with a bit of "Farscape"-meets-"West Side Story"."[30] Other reviewers gaveDefiance average reviews and noted its similarity to previous television series,[31] while at the same time praising its "breathtaking" landscapes and "impressively rendered" monsters;[32] its "intriguing" cast and setting;[33] its digital effects and performances;[34] and its mythology and "interesting" story.[35] Conversely, David Hinckley of the New York Daily News gave it one star out of five and found it to be "incomprehensible", but said "if you’re a sci-fi fan for whom this stuff can never be too complex, have at it."[36]"

And who knew-another tidbit that could have been usefully upfront--the blue "biomen" are actually a type of cybernetic marine- so they are earthlings created to fight the Votan

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
lol I think I'm the only one that hasn't watched this on here. Probably not gonna bother...sounds like it caters to gaming/add generation more than anything else.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
lol I think I'm the only one that hasn't watched this on here. Probably not gonna bother...sounds like it caters to gaming/add generation more than anything else.

yeah-it could turn that way.

and, here i know i do not have many supporters on this-but when I see "brought to you by the creative team behind BSG" --I see no BSG here-other then the drama-which is not that good-IMO (and not trying to derail into a BSG "discussion" the drama in BSG tended to flow naturally from the set up of characters and situation.

In DEFIANCE-the drama is-and I guess it is the best choice for now--"forced" and predictable.

funny, on the advertising part-it seems DODGE is all in on this show-yet I have not seen their souped up new car in it yet.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
ok kiddies . I confirmed that the set was near me . What really surprised me was that it was closer than I thought . It is literally a 5 minute walk from my house . I thought it was in another location but my friend knew were it was and sent me in the right direction . I was not able to get into the set though I may sneak in sometime this week ,,,ssssssshhhh . I was able to get a few shots from outside the fence though . I will post them tomorrow .
The shot's I got today are just from the up close in town shoot's from what I can gather . Amazingly small area . The magic of Hollyweird !!! They have also done shoot's down on the beach near me . I wish I had know what it was they were shooting over the last year or so . There were ton's of movie trucks throughout the city but you are never really sure as to what movie or what ever they are up too .
When they shot Total recall here , the way I found out was I had to drive through a detour downtown . It was then I saw the crazy flying car seen being shot . I had no time to get out my phone cam .

I'll have the pics for you guys tomorrow .

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
ok kiddies . I confirmed that the set was near me . What really surprised me was that it was closer than I thought . It is literally a 5 minute walk from my house . I thought it was in another location but my friend knew were it was and sent me in the right direction . I was not able to get into the set though I may sneak in sometime this week ,,,ssssssshhhh . I was able to get a few shots from outside the fence though . I will post them tomorrow .
The shot's I got today are just from the up close in town shoot's from what I can gather . Amazingly small area . The magic of Hollyweird !!! They have also done shoot's down on the beach near me . I wish I had know what it was they were shooting over the last year or so . There were ton's of movie trucks throughout the city but you are never really sure as to what movie or what ever they are up too .
When they shot Total recall here , the way I found out was I had to drive through a detour downtown . It was then I saw the crazy flying car seen being shot . I had no time to get out my phone cam .

I'll have the pics for you guys tomorrow .
so-you are telling us that they are at this moment still filming this series?

does this mean a commitment-of whatever type for a 2nd season? or,wishful "preparation" for one?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

does this mean a commitment-of whatever type for a 2nd season? or,wishful "preparation" for one?

Perhaps it will have a 1.0/1.5 setup like so many other series these days :(
(Actually, that makes sense in a multi-platform endeavour)

Bluce Ree

It's normal for a show to begin broadcasting its episodes before the entire season is finished filming. Some of it is managed with short hiatuses.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I think Tripler is saying the set is standing, but not being used as production is in hiatus. This isn't unusual in that a set will remain fairly intact (the major sites) until cancellation has happened. Back when SGU had "ended" OM1 kept us up to speed on whether or not the sets had been struck. It was a happy day when he reported that they finally had been dismantled. :) As for DEFIANCE, they will probably start filming Season 2 shortly as the weather is getting nice now.

And like many of us believe, a second season is probably guaranteed.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

funny-there is an ad for DEFIANCE on the site

I guess, see where the actors are now; ex: is Bowler still in Vnacouver(?) or is he doing a interview circuit or some other job in Australia.

From the site posted-it seems that every show shoots differently
however
it is several yrs old and I believe that CGI and other "tools" allow the editors to do things without having a "hot set"

tear it down anyhow--the show sucks

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Picture081.jpg

It does not look like it will be torn down . I believe like you guys said . When the weather get's warmer . They will begin shooting again . Sure the show is silly but I won't mind if it keeps going as I would really like to watch a bit of the work that goes into shooting a series . My daughter is in college taking Broadcasting and Communications . I am hoping she can get in on the action somehow , even if it is to get coffee's and also she is at the top of her class and has already won a Dean's Award from the college for outstanding filming in her first year . And yes ,,, It was a short Si-Fi film . :) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think Tripler is saying the set is standing, but not being used as production is in hiatus. This isn't unusual in that a set will remain fairly intact (the major sites) until cancellation has happened. Back when SGU had "ended" OM1 kept us up to speed on whether or not the sets had been struck. It was a happy day when he reported that they finally had been dismantled. :) As for DEFIANCE, they will probably start filming Season 2 shortly as the weather is getting nice now.

And like many of us believe, a second season is probably guaranteed.

I have no strings to pull for this one. :( I dont know anyone connected to this show or its production company like I did for Bridge. That was a convenient connection, involving a caterer for Bridge and sweet talking a receptionist there. :)