DEFIANCE game and TV show - sink or swim?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
well i DID fuk'n warn you now didnt i.

You know me...I dont mind spending the money USUALLY. This time, it feels like I have been anally raped with a roto rooter. :(
--- merged: Apr 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM ---
I guess we're asking too much that the plot actually make sense. It does make you wonder who the viewers are - probably crossovers from the game?

I imagine this is so. In most games with an MMO component, you have lengthy cutscenes/mini-episodes which give backstory and serve to define the characters in the game as well as the locaales. This is missing from the Defiance game, which means you have to get that from the show. This appears to be intentional.

Congrats Sciphonic Stranger.

Anyway, joelist could be right here.People who have bought the game could be also backing the show because the two are linked but I don't know good the strong connection is though.

My gut instincts tell me that this will get renewed for a second season but it won't go very far after that probably.I mean, it has very cheap graphics with no-name actors, that should prove that it's low budget.

It got two seasons out of the gate, so it does not need to be "renewed" after the first season. Stargate Universe was never "renewed", it got its two seasons from the start, but this did not become known until Craig Engler confirmed it. I think the show will be cancelled before its second season run is over, and they will play out the episodes. The game will most likely die quickly after that, since without the fill-in from the show the game becomes meaningless.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It got two seasons out of the gate, so it does not need to be "renewed" after the first season. Stargate Universe was never "renewed", it got its two seasons from the start, but this did not become known until Craig Engler confirmed it. I think the show will be cancelled before its second season run is over, and they will play out the episodes. The game will most likely die quickly after that, since without the fill-in from the show the game becomes meaningless.

This is exactly what I was thinking. For how much they hyped the show and for how much they put into production (initially) there's no way they wouldn't require that SyFy (or whoever) green lights at least 2 seasons.

My only question now is, how many episodes are there per season for this turkey? Hopefully it will be a low number. I can't see them going 20 full episodes per season on something so untested. At least with SGU it had the other Stargate shows to give it cache' but with DEFIANCE it's flying solo. That's why I think the seasons have to be shorter, especially when you consider the amount of money that someone is pouring into producing it. Either it starts raking in the cash via ratings or the investors will get spooked and angry at being ripped off.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is exactly what I was thinking. For how much they hyped the show and for how much they put into production (initially) there's no way they wouldn't require that SyFy (or whoever) green lights at least 2 seasons.

My only question now is, how many episodes are there per season for this turkey? Hopefully it will be a low number. I can't see them going 20 full episodes per season on something so untested. At least with SGU it had the other Stargate shows to give it cache' but with DEFIANCE it's flying solo. That's why I think the seasons have to be shorter, especially when you consider the amount of money that someone is pouring into producing it. Either it starts raking in the cash via ratings or the investors will get spooked and angry at being ripped off.

The price tag on this pig is ONE HUNDRED MILLION. They have already flushed that much to bring it to Syfy (as well as the game).

Some annoying wishes from its creators: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/09/a...ies-and-a-video-game.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

“You have to play the game in real time,” between episodes of the series, “to get the fullest experience,” said Kevin Murphy, an executive producer for the show.

Really? Aint gonna happen. That is like asking people watching a reality series to drive to a certain location and do something there, then return to the game to see the result. Not gonna fly. I usually play my games later at night. Why would I want to watch Defiance on TV, then overdose on it by playing the game? If the game was GOOD, then I might be interested, but its just not. It is a middle-of-the-road third person shooter. Nothing special.

About its $100 million price tag:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffber...ets-100m-on-convergence-of-tv-and-videogames/

But playing in this arena isn’t cheap. Trion spent $50 million developing Rift, the hit game it released in 2011. Defiance is an even bigger undertaking, with a budget said to reach $80 million, pushing the cost of the overall project well north of $100 million.Games with that kind of big budget are not typical,” says Brian Blau, a gaming industry analyst atGartner. “It’s a big risk. They’ll have to attract a lot of users.”

Big risk? More like this:

money-toilet-768359.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Bro! We know you're rich but did you really have to flush cash down the toilet just for the shocking picture you took with your 22" Galaxy Note? Sheesh!

Nah, you are the Romney rich dude around here....my relatively paltry salary you could pay just by vacuuming your couches! :smiley-laughing024: According to the current American definition of "rich", I am only middle class. :) Gotta be 250K and above to be considered "rich" these days. :)

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Nah, you are the Romney rich dude around here....my relatively paltry salary you could pay just by vacuuming your couches! :smiley-laughing024: According to the current American definition of "rich", I am only middle class. :) Gotta be 250K and above to be considered "rich" these days. :)

Rich is $1.00 an hour more than one is making. Poor is $1.00 an hour less.
--- merged: Apr 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM ---

It has to do with his use of the f-word.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

In a very basic sense, you are correct! If one bases things on the quality of life (wealth), then being rich is never equated with being wealthy. The trick is knowing the difference between the two. Many rich people are not wealthy, and many wealthy people are not rich. :)
--- merged: Apr 25, 2013 at 5:41 PM ---

Well...you use it too. But what I want to know is if you are seeing it as an insult or a request? :P :cameronanime06:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Yeah, well, my private chopper broke down and I had to take a "car" to the office today like the rest of you 99%. How do you people live that way?!?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is starting to sound like GateFans is getting into producing its own "Reality" show.

Jim and OMNI....can two grown men share an apartment without driving each other crazy? (cue theme from The Odd Couple)....

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
This is starting to sound like GateFans is getting into producing its own "Reality" show.

Jim and OMNI....can two grown men share an apartment without driving each other crazy? (cue theme from The Odd Couple)....

But who is Felix and who is Oscar???

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.

fuukfukeli fuuk faafuukelikookellikuu fack famfukkamukka megaphone!
--- merged: Apr 25, 2013 at 7:52 PM ---
admit it that made you cum didnt it ;)

Ubitchu!

:D

2yo7r0i.png

heisenberg

Earl Grey

I think they are only doing 12 episodes with defiance.13 if you count the pilot as being 2 episodes.
--- merged: Apr 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM ---
The price tag on this pig is ONE HUNDRED MILLION. They have already flushed that much to bring it to Syfy (as well as the game).

Some annoying wishes from its creators: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/09/a...ies-and-a-video-game.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Really? Aint gonna happen. That is like asking people watching a reality series to drive to a certain location and do something there, then return to the game to see the result. Not gonna fly. I usually play my games later at night. Why would I want to watch Defiance on TV, then overdose on it by playing the game? If the game was GOOD, then I might be interested, but its just not. It is a middle-of-the-road third person shooter. Nothing special.

About its $100 million price tag:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffber...ets-100m-on-convergence-of-tv-and-videogames/

Big risk? More like this:

View attachment 28139
WTF? 100 million? That is flushing money down the toilet on a mediocre fiction series.