DEFIANCE game and TV show - sink or swim?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think they are only doing 12 episodes with defiance.13 if you count the pilot as being 2 episodes.
--- merged: Apr 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM ---

WTF? 100 million? That is flushing money down the toilet on a mediocre fiction series.

From OM1's link:

While the network will generate revenues of $734 million in 2012, according to SNL Kagan, contributing to the $8 billion in annual revenues for NBC Universal’s cable networks group, it virtually never makes money on its shows directly. High ratings allow Syfy to charge advertisers and distributors more, but the programs themselves “are loss leaders, for the most part, or a break-even proposition,” says Howe. Even “Warehouse 13,” its highest-rated series, doesn’t make money per se.

From a money making stand point I just don't see how DEFIANCE will work long term, I really don't. It's an interesting concept to tie a game in with a show but it feels like they jumped the gun on this one. You can't force gamers to like a game, their interest has to be organic. Perhaps it would have been better to design an amazing game first, then develop a fan base for it and then try a TV show to go along with it. But just cobbling together some random ideas from various genres and then cynically trying to expect them to feed each other is just dumb.

My prediction is that this show will lose money in the long run and the game will fizzle out rather quickly.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah......Umm, I have had much interaction with OMNI outside of the forum, and he is definitely NOT Felix :lol:

Perhaps you are both Oscars :P

I concur with that! But he makes extremely tidy and clean kills with a silenced weapon. :P :anim_59:
--- merged: Apr 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM ---
From OM1's link:

From a money making stand point I just don't see how DEFIANCE will work long term, I really don't. It's an interesting concept to tie a game in with a show but it feels like they jumped the gun on this one. You can't force gamers to like a game, their interest has to be organic. Perhaps it would have been better to design an amazing game first, then develop a fan base for it and then try a TV show to go along with it. But just cobbling together some random ideas from various genres and then cynically trying to expect them to feed each other is just dumb.

My prediction is that this show will lose money in the long run and the game will fizzle out rather quickly.

THOSE. I actually liked The Walking Dead game. But I hate the show. The game is free of all the soapy drama and stretched out scenes, but it is far too "guided" for my taste. You see large expanses of a map, but there are invisible barriers which prevent you from exploring them. You have to solve lame puzzles, and whilst entertaining for a few episodes, it gets old and boring very fast. The game OMNI and I are playing called DAYZ is built upon a massive military sim and you can go EVERYWHERE you can see. There are zombies, buildings and vehicles and aircraft you can actually fly. There are no goals except survival and cunning. Talk about IMMERSION, I am looking forward to playing him this weekend.

But this defiance game is a nice, but not special sort of third person shooter. Without the "meat" of the story in the game, you are (hopefully) forced to watch the show for understanding. Im not feeling that for the game or the show. Like you said, they jumped the gun on this. The game is priced too high, and because of this show/game, any late comers are going to get off to a very slow start before anyone invests in a game attached to a show. When the show is canceled, essentially so is the game.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
From OM1's link:

Yup the tie in is not a bad conception but the execution is poor and defiance is not one show that suits this concept very well(IMO of course).

The game however, will suffer from what most MMOs suffer from, which is the game is going to go free to play very soon and die a slow death or it will be killed off with the tv franchise(most likely scenario)

As for the show, I think a few desperate science fiction fans are hoping that this show will do a 180 but I doubt it.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
I believe science fiction (on television at least) is in a catch 22. 'They' say science fiction doesn't sell, reason why, because it isn't good science fiction, so they won't make it, so its handed down to lower tier personnel which just proves the point.

As far as I know with the game, it probably won't go free to play since it doesn't have a subscription based model. Its a one off payment with I believe some micro transactions involved similar to Guild Wars 2. Reason why I say it won't go F2P is because its also on the console (xbox360) and I'm guessing that is where they are hoping most of the return revenue will come from. Now I could be wrong, very much so, but it depends how desperate they get.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I believe science fiction (on television at least) is in a catch 22. 'They' say science fiction doesn't sell, reason why, because it isn't good science fiction, so they won't make it, so its handed down to lower tier personnel which just proves the point.

As far as I know with the game, it probably won't go free to play since it doesn't have a subscription based model. Its a one off payment with I believe some micro transactions involved similar to Guild Wars 2. Reason why I say it won't go F2P is because its also on the console (xbox360) and I'm guessing that is where they are hoping most of the return revenue will come from. Now I could be wrong, very much so, but it depends how desperate they get.
Fair point.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
In a very basic sense, you are correct! If one bases things on the quality of life (wealth), then being rich is never equated with being wealthy. The trick is knowing the difference between the two. Many rich people are not wealthy, and many wealthy people are not rich. :)

Its that relativity and perspective thing

and then the envy thing

simplistic, yes, but to the point (of so much):

ok so i screwed up the qte box--whatever........

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Have not been here for a while due to health reasons but I thought I should let you guys know that I live real close to where they are filming Defiance and I will try to get some spy pics lol ! The set is empty right now and my neighbour just drove right into the place and looked around .

So far I thought the show was good with the pilot . We will have to wait and see what happens with it :) :) :)
I kinda got a thing for Dexter's ex wife anyway :) :) :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Have not been here for a while due to health reasons but I thought I should let you guys know that I live real close to where they are filming Defiance and I will try to get some spy pics lol ! The set is empty right now and my neighbour just drove right into the place and looked around .

So far I thought the show was good with the pilot . We will have to wait and see what happens with it :) :) :)

Hey! Welcome back! :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Good to see you back! Your "What's New" page must be pages and pages by now. :P :anim_59: Try to get some good shots if you can. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ok so i screwed up the qte box--whatever........

There is a certain fairly well known lawyer I know, who won a case against a VERY VERY famous musician/entertainer we all know (worldwide) and he got 3 million from the case. But he is not married, has no children, has few friends (if any), and is an asshole. He lives in a mansion with an indoor pond stocked with koi, drives a classic Rolls Royce Silver Cloud, and is very rich after investing some of that money. But he is not wealthy. He is a sourpuss and angry most of the time. He is overweight and suffers from several (minor) ills which add up to a big headache for him. His employees hate him, and even clients hate him but he is very good at what he does.

Im not married, never have been (and Im not gay :anim_59:), I have no children of my own, but I have many friends and am very happy and sociable. I have my health and fitness which keeps me around healthy, fit people who lead active lifestyles. In that sense, I am very wealthy but Im not really "rich" per se. Yeah, I make very good money but it is still not considered "rich (over 250K/yr). One can be both rich and wealthy, but those are few and far between. Just adding that to my last comment...

About this show, :facepalm:

When the show dies, the game will basically be abandoned and its players will get an FU from its creators. They will blame the failure on the players of the game (or lack thereof). Innovative idea, but not really workable in the long run. Many gamers have games that are more than 10 YEARS OLD that they still enjoy playing, like the original Starcraft, arcade games, etc. This game is only relevant as long as the show is running. Its why the Stargate SG-1 games became uninteresting after SGU came out.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well, I finally got around to watching this last night, and I found it........ inoffensive. Not good, not bad, just a rather stale blend of mediocracy. I'll give it a few more eps to see if the character interactions can save it enough to make it worthwhile. I do think however that the general "average-ness" of the show might actually be a boon for it for people who don't watch a lot of scifi as there is enough familiar elements to keep pedestrian "scifi fans" interested.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, I finally got around to watching this last night, and I found it........ inoffensive. Not good, not bad, just a rather stale blend of mediocracy. I'll give it a few more eps to see if the character interactions can save it enough to make it worthwhile. I do think however that the general "average-ness" of the show might actually be a boon for it for people who don't watch a lot of scifi as there is enough familiar elements to keep pedestrian "scifi fans" interested.

That bolded phrase describes the game as well. Not bad, not good, just middle-of-the-road (just a road, not a highway). Its MEDIOCRE. The show is mediocre as well. It does have more action than most of the soap-fi shows which have come out on Syfy. I think its because the game is a shooter and is action packed. But as a show, you can only dramatize shooting and blowing things up so much. Its gonna peter out by the time it's second season is about to end. But who knows? If a shitty show like The Walking Dead can get 4 seasons, anything can happen.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The funny part is if the game is expecting people to watch the show to get the backstory then they have a big problem. The show thus far has provided zero backstory which is dragging it down - if we actually knew more about these people and their backgrounds the show might approach being enjoyable.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That bolded phrase describes the game as well. Not bad, not good, just middle-of-the-road (just a road, not a highway). Its MEDIOCRE. The show is mediocre as well. It does have more action than most of the soap-fi shows which have come out on Syfy.
It's very much like W13 or Eureka, but with more "scifi paint" slapped on it really inasmuch as it will be a "scifi procedural". W13 I like pretty much only because of Pete and Myka, it's no stellar writing. Eureka I like more because I find the concepts explored in in it interesting. It does have more action (in the premiere at least), but that is to be expected in a premiere.
I think its because the game is a shooter and is action packed. But as a show, you can only dramatize shooting and blowing things up so much.
They seem to do enough of that in the movies dude :P
I think you mean they don't have the budget to do it :lol: If you read some of the background stuff about the game, they *had* to tone it down a bit simply because the budget of a TV show simply won't support the action that you could do in a game.
Its gonna peter out by the time it's second season is about to end. But who knows? If a shitty show like The Walking Dead can get 4 seasons, anything can happen.
To be honest, I think a lot of shows on AMC or HBO get a "pass" from a lot of viewers *because* it's AMC or HBO. I honestly think there is a certain amount "critic-struck" people out there who will watch anything the critics praise it, even if at the back of the mind they are really thinking: