DEFIANCE game and TV show - sink or swim?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wish you could get your money back because this game is pure trash.

Yes, it is pure trash and no I cant get my money back. :( The shooter aspect of the game is not bad, but because the game lacks any sort of storyline (other than the show itself), this thing just seems like a mindless shooter. The graphics are just "okay" and definitely not worth the money I paid. This game costs more than Starcraft II, but Starcraft has full HD graphics and clear textures and no glitches.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, anyone watch the 2nd ep? I saw like the last 20 minutes or so. Didn't really get the plot since.

What was with the "religious service" in the trees? And, the NIRVANA redo was quite irritating as well :rolleye0014:

these shows keep repeating what SGU did, with the "reflective close" showing characters in thought to the chorus of some whiney nosed singer... yuck

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, anyone watch the 2nd ep? I saw like the last 20 minutes or so. Didn't really get the plot since.

What was with the "religious service" in the trees? And, the NIRVANA redo was quite irritating as well :rolleye0014:

these shows keep repeating what SGU did, with the "reflective close" showing characters in thought to the chorus of some whiney nosed singer... yuck

TOTALLY, completely agree. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
TOTALLY, completely agree. :)

what is up with this tact anyhow? i mean-i do not watch any "big 4" programming (abc,nbc,cbs,fox) at least not first run-so maybe they do it too. But I defi. see a trend with shows on syfy and this "musical muse" ending--SGU, DEFIANCE AND CONTINUUM all have it with the accompanying contemplative character moments.

really, do they think this is a good idea

you know has i type-i think this may have started-just a little-in SGA and BSG as well--so if it did-it was stupid there also.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
what is up with this tact anyhow? i mean-i do not watch any "big 4" programming (abc,nbc,cbs,fox) at least not first run-so maybe they do it too. But I defi. see a trend with shows on syfy and this "musical muse" ending--SGU, DEFIANCE AND CONTINUUM all have it with the accompanying contemplative character moments.

really, do they think this is a good idea

you know has i type-i think this may have started-just a little-in SGA and BSG as well--so if it did-it was stupid there also.

In SGA it was when the old lady dies and Teyla sings. In BSG...OMG....they took it to a new level. :facepalm:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Character reflection moments have been around for ages.
I'm sure you guys remember the "balcony scenes" in Boston Legal, or the "wrap ups" with Kirk and Spock or Spock/McCoy, it was even used in M.A.S.H. on more than one occasion.
The difference is, these days, like most shows they are subjectively crap :P

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I'm sure you guys remember the "balcony scenes" in Boston Legal, or the "wrap ups" with Kirk and Spock or Spock/McCoy, it was even used in M.A.S.H. on more than one occasion.

yes of course
it is just this SGU thing-where i first noticed a SPECIFIC mode of using some whiney male singer often using a cover of a more famous version.

the classic wrap up is different from this and i have only noticed it on syfy, and now that i think of it, on The walking dead as well.

i guess it must appeal to the youngsters

speaking of-in ep 2 (i missed most of it) was there any erratic, plot less frantic sex scenes? anymore teenage rebellion and angst? did they reveal anymore of the backstory that JOE found on wiki?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
speaking of-in ep 2 (i missed most of it) was there any erratic, plot less frantic sex scenes? anymore teenage rebellion and angst? did they reveal anymore of the backstory that JOE found on wiki?

No frantic sex scenes but there was a creepy scene of the albino-alien wife suggestively hugging her teenage son while she was nude and the father looked on. Call me a prude but my mother never hugged me while wearing only a necklace. ;)

There was a boring conflict about the albino-aliens capital punishment beliefs verses the crazy alien chick with the red hair. Supposedly she's suddenly all moral and upright. That part of it was just "meh".

And the underground part is fairly okay but the final group funeral/memorial scene was just dumb. They showed the human chick hugging up to her albino-alien bf instead of being with her father and brother as they memorialized her dead brother. Even though the teenage human daughter was barely in this episode I'm already tired of her.

In short, if I miss any episodes of this show I won't sweat it because it's not that riveting and the characters all kind of suck.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yeah, episode 2 was dumb. And the fact that they STILL have explained zero backstory continues to plague the show, making the characters actions and indeed the plot itself difficult to put into any context.

I think there is more commentary on the other Defiance thread.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
CONGRATULATIONS: Sciphonic Stranger gets the first ever Green Crystal Ball for his accurate ratings prediction for Defiance Episode 3!

defiance_crystal_ball.png

:smiley_joy::tealc_newanime006::joy::daniel_new_anime021::smiley_joy::jackanime14:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I guess we're asking too much that the plot actually make sense. It does make you wonder who the viewers are - probably crossovers from the game?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Congrats Sciphonic Stranger.

Anyway, joelist could be right here.People who have bought the game could be also backing the show because the two are linked but I don't know good the strong connection is though.

My gut instincts tell me that this will get renewed for a second season but it won't go very far after that probably.I mean, it has very cheap graphics with no-name actors, that should prove that it's low budget.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Congrats Sciphonic Stranger.

Anyway, joelist could be right here.People who have bought the game could be also backing the show because the two are linked but I don't know good the strong connection is though.

My gut instincts tell me that this will get renewed for a second season but it won't go very far after that probably.I mean, it has very cheap graphics with no-name actors, that should prove that it's low budget.

WTF is that supposed to prove??
Many of the best games I have ever played have shithouse graphics and NO actors.
Stop looking at the wrapping and look at the damn product. :(

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Many of the best games I have ever played have shithouse graphics and NO actors.
I meant the TV show. However, graphics to me are just as important as content but that's just me. This is 2013 after all ;).

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Time fillers to stretch an episode rather than add to it.
--- merged: Apr 25, 2013 at 6:08 AM ---
I meant the TV show. However, graphics to me are just as important as content but that's just me. This is 2013 after all ;).

You know, when some film students can put together a movie from their apartment with exceptional CGI using conventional off-the-shelf hardware in 2005, it's embarrassing to the TV networks with their budgets of 7+ figures per episode.

Defiance has plenty of money to put into good writing and effects.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffber...ets-100m-on-convergence-of-tv-and-videogames/

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
CONGRATULATIONS: Sciphonic Stranger gets the first ever Green Crystal Ball for his accurate ratings prediction for Defiance Episode 3!

View attachment 28138

:smiley_joy::tealc_newanime006::joy::daniel_new_anime021::smiley_joy::jackanime14:
So, just how bad are the ratings? They showed the pilot like 20 times the first week and they are still showing it (yesterday and today)-they still cant get numbers? Or are the numbers just from the first run of the ep?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Dude, a game that costs $59.00 better not have shitty graphics. Ditto for the actors, since this game is being touted as being an extension of the Defiance show. They dropped the ball on this one big time. I feel like I was ripped off. Sure, lots of great games have shitty graphics and no actors, but not at $59.00! Charge me $39.00 or less and its not that big of a deal. And they have the serve to charge $30.00 for the "season pass" for the MMO? Sheeeeit.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Dude, a game that costs $59.00 better not have shitty graphics. Ditto for the actors, since this game is being touted as being an extension of the Defiance show. They dropped the ball on this one big time. I feel like I was ripped off. Sure, lots of great games have shitty graphics and no actors, but not at $59.00! Charge me $39.00 or less and its not that bog of a deal. And they have the serve to charge $30.00 for the "season pass" for the MMO? Sheeeeit.
well i DID fuk'n warn you now didnt i.