Star Trek: Picard

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I have been refraining from talking about this show because as of the first episode I am disappointed. Not in the production, and not in the acting so much, it's the writing. They have introduced a character who just by her existence is a McGuffin. They once again have demonstrated a complete lack of study of the source material and they have made up "science-y" explanations which are nonsense, and an insult to the original material. This show is NOT anywhere remotely even in a dream connected to TNG or previous Star Trek. It is better than Discovery, but is still not Star Trek...in my opinion. I will reserve ranting for when I have seen about three episodes.
They show has 18 producers and 5 writers - How many did TNG have?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's....okay. It would be better if it did not have the Star Trek setting because it is tonally completely wrong - WAY too dark and dystopic. Weirdly even JJ Trek in the movies at least got the tone right. But Discovery was way off on it and so is Picard.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It's....okay. It would be better if it did not have the Star Trek setting because it is tonally completely wrong - WAY too dark and dystopic. Weirdly even JJ Trek in the movies at least got the tone right. But Discovery was way off on it and so is Picard.

i mostly agree with you on this..still only watched one ep-- you do mean the tone is dark as the tptb's are (again) trying to re-make that dark tone that somehow worked in nuBSG (NOT trying to get into a BSG discussion! just an example :) )

which was tried and failed in SGU and other shows and movies

but, to look at it from WITHIN the established canon-- why wouldn't Federation space be a darker and more moody place after the Borg incursion at WOLF 359, the Klingon Fed war and the dominion war? there were lots of lives lost, great loss of material and capital as well as real 'property' in terms of planets and colonies destroyed/damaged

not to mention the massive numbers of wounded and PTSD sufferers --maybe other races dont have it but humans most defi would

those wars caused the fed to have to refit and equip to become a military force and then refit again to get back to a exploratory/science force (Are they?). that would be a very chaotic undertaking that may have upset the morale of the Fed as well

that said.. i REALLY DOUBT the tptb's here are using that though... once again, fans seem to put more thought into shows then tptb's do :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Thats the thing - even when dark things happened in Trek the entire tone never went dystopic. Even fighting the Dominion War and the DS9 Klingon War (which was one of the stupidest plots ever seen in Trek) the Federation itself did not abandon its founding principles. The problem is the current franchise runners know that Trek has been an enduring franchise but don't get WHY it has been - and in their ignorance they are killing it.

Seth MacFarlane with The Orville demonstrated he DOES get what makes Trek tick. That's why the rumors that he may wind up running Trek got the fans so excited.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The tone of Star Trek Picard is not dystopian.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Thats the thing - even when dark things happened in Trek the entire tone never went dystopic. Even fighting the Dominion War and the DS9 Klingon War (which was one of the stupidest plots ever seen in Trek) the Federation itself did not abandon its founding principles. The problem is the current franchise runners know that Trek has been an enduring franchise but don't get WHY it has been - and in their ignorance they are killing it.

Seth MacFarlane with The Orville demonstrated he DOES get what makes Trek tick. That's why the rumors that he may wind up running Trek got the fans so excited.

even so, to just go about in any new series or movie as if all was well and back to the way it was before the dominon war, would also be unbelievable. tptbs do not seem to have found balance for this

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The tone of Star Trek Picard is not dystopian.
I'm sorry but it is. The tone is not only dark but the Federation now is sinister in its portrayal.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I am not sold on Star trek picard crap, there is no futuristic hope like it is on the Orville - I will pass and continue with the Orville. Good luck to those of you who want to continue to watch it or :pirate:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I am not sold on Star trek picard crap, there is no futuristic hope like it is on the Orville - I will pass and continue with the Orville. Good luck to those of you who want to continue to watch it or :pirate:
why not just watch it for yourself instead of relying on the biased perspectives of others? @Lord Ba'al

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm sorry but it is. The tone is not only dark but the Federation now is sinister in its portrayal.
The tone is not dark. There are some things going on and some star fleet officers are apparently involved in some kind of conspiracy, but Picard is catching on and is going to do something about it. To say that the show is dark is a severe overstatement. I'd say the show is balanced.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
why not just watch it for yourself instead of relying on the biased perspectives of others? @Lord Ba'al
I did first two episodes - I am not sold, the dialogue is so weak and does not sound right. The writing is poor the quotes are not memorable at all. It feels like I am watching the current drama shows on US TV, the writing is very similar. I want some humour/optimistic or at least something that reminiscent of the old trek like the opening scene. Plus there are swear words - There is no space exploration at all.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I did first two episodes - I am not sold, the dialogue is so weak and does not sound right. The writing is poor the quotes are not memorable at all. It feels like I am watching the current drama shows on US TV, the writing is very similar. I want some humour/optimistic or at least something that reminiscent of the old trek like the opening scene. Plus there are swear words - There is no space exploration at all.
i only watched the first, it was not memorable to me

but, even if someone spoils something I will still watch it to make my own mind on it

it is part of my 'completion affliction' i think

we Americans are now humorless pessimists-- its official, we are too miserable for anything else-

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Again, I am keeping my mouth shut. I still am disappointed in this show. It is very pretty, has decent acting and effects, but it still isn't Star Trek and it still ignores canon. The writing and story keep this show firmly out of Star Trek territory for me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
YES! At least you can see what I am seeing. It is a beautiful production, which is just not Star Trek.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Have they given Lt. Reed credit for the "Reed" alert yet? Still waiting for new Orville here. :cool:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Great quote from Picard episode 4.

"A promise is a prison. Don't make yourself someone else's jailor."

I love it. Don't know if this was taken from some historical figure. I bet it was. Seems like it at least.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The "sliding" scene has got to be the dumbest ever scene in any of Star Trek ever.