Random Banter

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I want to do something like this - something creative.

Wow. Do you have equipment like that? I have a suggestion...get yourself a music keyboard. 88-key digital with weighted keys. Make some music!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, but I wish I did. I rather do these types of jobs that seem to be enjoyable than doing some desk job which just creates trouble. I am strongly thinking of changing because I rather like to keep a low profile and that in life, less is more. Plus I know that making stuff by hand will always be appreciated than some computer. Some people will be willing to pay a pretty penny for it too. I just want to do something that I can live under a roof and that it pays the bills and takes care of me financially. Waking up in this world, I have seen my fair share of corruption and it's awful working in these white collar jobs which just provides no satisfaction other than boringness.

Music definitely has been my saviour. I LOVE music. You know what I have been through. I was going to use the money I had won to make music, but alas that opportunity is gone now.

Great idea to expand your experience, but perhaps go for something more accessible like working with clay or paper (drawing) or something requiring less equipment. I have decided I want to try my hand at becoming a YouTuber. Yeah, I am old (compared to most YouTubers), but I am getting bored and I have the time and lots of interests to share.. Find something that lifts your spirits and give it all you got. Depression is literally like poison, and can have actual physical effects.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Great idea to expand your experience, but perhaps go for something more accessible like working with clay or paper (drawing) or something requiring less equipment. I have decided I want to try my hand at becoming a YouTuber. Yeah, I am old (compared to most YouTubers), but I am getting bored and I have the time and lots of interests to share.. Find something that lifts your spirits and give it all you got. Depression is literally like poison, and can have actual physical effects.
You mean like making videos of yourself or of something else but then with a little PIP of yourself in the corner?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You mean like making videos of yourself or of something else but then with a little PIP of yourself in the corner?

Not sure, a combination of all of those things as well as animated video without me in it at all. I am not really wanting to make a show out of it, I just want to jump in and see what happens. Like I said, I'm bored!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Do you have equipment like that?

a lathe and saw? not hard to come by.

actually you dont even need a lathe

a power drill with a wood boring bit would do the trick for the inside of the cup. you could rough cut with a saw and then fine chisel down the outside with wood chisel and then sand paper

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

i have never understood why civvies are seemingly so fascinated with MRE's

they are ok and packed with "good" calories (why so many soldiers actually gain weight while deployed!!)

but they are boring and do not have much taste, and, the heaters that come with them are dangerous and toxic (you are not supposed to use them in a tent, vehicle or other enclosed location--you know like a fox hole or bunker :facepalm:)

pretty mundane stuff actually, dont see why ppl make vids about them

the mre heater "bomb"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i have never understood why civvies are seemingly so fascinated with MRE's

they are ok and packed with "good" calories (why so many soldiers actually gain weight while deployed!!)

but they are boring and do not have much taste, and, the heaters that come with them are dangerous and toxic (you are not supposed to use them in a tent, vehicle or other enclosed location--you know like a fox hole or bunker :facepalm:)

pretty mundane stuff actually, dont see why ppl make vids about them

the mre heater "bomb"

Hipsters do not connect with the reason why MREs exist in the first place. Perhaps they think of them as cool lunchables they can just have as status signaling in their social groups? I am not sure, but they fall into the same category as vinyl record collecting in 2019 does to me. :) They aren't even good for camping!

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Hipsters do not connect with the reason why MREs exist in the first place. Perhaps they think of them as cool lunchables they can just have as status signaling in their social groups? I am not sure, but they fall into the same category as vinyl record collecting in 2019 does to me. :) They aren't even good for camping!

Yes, a 6,000 calorie cool lunchable.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

i haven't had one since the last time i went to the field in the winter of 2000 at ft drum ny

the selections have changed i know, and knowing 'govt work' they probably messed with them so much that they are shit now

there were some very good ones---the chicken and rice, the dehydrated beef patty (with dehydrated ketchup!!) and the 'stable shelf life bread slice' as well as the mashed potato with mushroom gravy-- though 'back in the day'

how about those mre bombs? you dont have to make one though-- you can just leave the pouch closed with the water in it and it will explode on its own

-------
i can just envision a pony tailed hipster walking into a 'cafe' shop with a mre in the cargo pocket of his 'molecule Himalayan' cargo pants

hopefully someone tells them you have to keep the water filled heater in their pocket :icon_twisted::icon_twisted: