Random Banter

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Not so simple. The icons are sprites on a sprite sheet and the entire sprite sheet would have to be redone to change what I want to change.
Sprites? I feel as if I just traveled back in time a few decades. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sprites? I feel as if I just traveled back in time a few decades. :P

Essentially, it is a graphic strip with evenly spaced images on it (the ones used in the ratings). The sprites refer to a position on that strip. So, in order to change images, I have to modify the strip and give the system a reference sprite to display that image in the forum.

Example of a sprite strip:

q38Rs.png

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Essentially, it is a graphic strip with evenly spaced images on it (the ones used in the ratings). The sprites refer to a position on that strip. So, in order to change images, I have to modify the strip and give the system a reference sprite to display that image in the forum.

Example of a sprite strip:

View attachment 34738
Excusez les mots but what a fucked up way to implement something like this on a website. (not your fault, Xenforo's fault)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Excusez les mots but what a fucked up way to implement something like this on a website. (not your fault, Xenforo's fault)

Yep. :( It is very efficient, but its like those dumb computer stores who go in your computer and use a zillion zip ties to make it "nice and neat" (and impossible to work with). I always have to tell users at work NOT to use zip ties to bundle cords and wires, and if they have to bundle them, then use velcro. In this case, the sprite strip makes things neat programming wise, but sucks for customization. I can modify the whole thing, but it will take time to modify the sprite sheet. Since I am going to do that, give me some ideas for new ratings and the order of the ratings please. :) Unfortunately, there may be issues with the post rating counts which would force me NOT to change certain ones.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yep. :( It is very efficient, but its like those dumb computer stores who go in your computer and use a zillion zip ties to make it "nice and neat" (and impossible to work with). I always have to tell users at work NOT to use zip ties to bundle cords and wires, and if they have to bundle them, then use velcro. In this case, the sprite strip makes things neat programming wise, but sucks for customization. I can modify the whole thing, but it will take time to modify the sprite sheet. Since I am going to do that, give me some ideas for new ratings and the order of the ratings please. :) Unfortunately, there may be issues with the post rating counts which would force me NOT to change certain ones.
Well if it might break stuff then don't do it man. It's really not that important.

But if you're going for it anyway, perhaps it's possible to have two of these sprite strips instead of one? One below the other. Then you could for example have "like" in the top one and "dislike" directly below it in the bottom one and "agree" in the top and directly below it "disagree".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well if it might break stuff then don't do it man. It's really not that important.

But if you're going for it anyway, perhaps it's possible to have two of these sprite strips instead of one? One below the other. Then you could for example have "like" in the top one and "dislike" directly below it in the bottom one and "agree" in the top and directly below it "disagree".

Then there would also need to be two separate counters, two separate references for the counts in each, connected to each user. That means new custom fields in the database. Yeah it could be done but it is lots of work. I will toss it to the Xenforo forum and see what comes back. :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Then there would also need to be two separate counters, two separate references for the counts in each, connected to each user. That means new custom fields in the database. Yeah it could be done but it is lots of work. I will toss it to the Xenforo forum and see what comes back. :)
See that's exactly why it's such a dumb setup. They should have just used a stylesheet to give each "button" it's own separate container within a wrapper container or something like that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
See that's exactly why it's such a dumb setup. They should have just used a stylesheet to give each "button" it's own separate container within a wrapper container or something like that.

Yep, like the Smilies. But the Post Ratings is an add-on, not native to the Xenforo base install.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Meh

Two weeks ago CBS announced Star Trek: Short Treks will premiere this week on CBS All Access in the USA. That initial announcement had no information about international availability, but today details on Short Treks premiere in Canada was revealed. However, indications are that Short Treks will not be available, at least in the short term, on Netflix in the rest of the world.

:bored:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
well this is cool and very unexpected! our town's little high school--only about 80 per grade, a public school- chronically underfunded and staffed (teachers have to buy expendables like toilet paper and soap for the restrooms among other things) has been selected a national blue ribbon school

1 out of 5 in the whole state

based on standardized testing, sat results nad daily academic progress reports as well as the school's ability to close up gaps in student's performance

https://www2.ed.gov/programs/nclbbrs/2018/high-schools.pdf

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
What is the point of it?

idk, maybe like a low tech version of pokemon go or a take on the old 'scavenger hunt' type of thing?

as far as i can tell, there are no rewards or anything else

i have seen on the page i linked, reference to the same thing in buffalo, erie, niagara falls, ny and some other small towns/cities

bored people i guess?