Helix: Love it or Hate it? (Awards Given)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Funny you should mention that as it only got silly (comedic style) after Resident Evil 3. However at least the reason why the outbreak occurred in Raccoon city plausible (for computer game story telling stand point I mean.

But also Umbrella used the outbreak to do some field testing (with the UBCS mercenaries), so yes still silly but hey, making the best of a bad situation!

In a way I like the Umbrella from the movies better because they are so completely and singlemindedly evil it reminds one a bit of Doctor Evil. In the latest (awful) installment civilization has fallen and the world is overrun with the T virus so what is Umbrella doing? Making bioweapons! Why? For sale apparently. Who exactly is supposed to buy them is another question - it comes off more like Umbrella just sits in their underground fortress and ponders what sort of evil they can do each morning when they get up. It's so extreme it's funny.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Do you have the cure for 14 bullets wounds?

Well we're up to 1 so far! Science progress!
I see you took the time to count (and here I thought I was bad).

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
According to Wikipedia, Helix is only guaranteed to have a 13 episode first season. So, it could, very easily, be canceled at the end of the first season.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Episode 5 "Survivor Zero", airs Feb 14 2014

Overmind One - 0.9 million
ShavedApe - 1.01 million
Jim of WVa - 1.10 million

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
According to Wikipedia, Helix is only guaranteed to have a 13 episode first season. So, it could, very easily, be canceled at the end of the first season.

From your lips to God's ear. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Im pretty sure it will be, based on the ratings alone. Caprica also had a dismal start, premiering at 1.6 million, and it too dropped fast like Helix is doing. Caprica was canceled before the season was even finished. They should be announcing the cancellation of this show either towards the end of this 13 episode run or after the run has been broadcast. I definitely do not see a season 2. How could they justify it?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Im pretty sure it will be, based on the ratings alone. Caprica also had a dismal start, premiering at 1.6 million, and it too dropped fast like Helix is doing. Caprica was canceled before the season was even finished. They should be announcing the cancellation of this show either towards the end of this 13 episode run or after the run has been broadcast. I definitely do not see a season 2. How could they justify it?

Story-wise, it seems like they intended it to just run one season.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

As soon as the episodes dip below 1 million, that's pretty much it. :).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
ShavedApe - 1.01 million
Joelist - 0.8 Million

B

Backstep

ShavedApe - 1.01 million
Joelist - 0.8 Million
Backstep- 1.32 0.5

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I generally like the idea of doing one-season type shows but this turd is making me rethink that. With the constraint of only one season it stands to reason that the story would be riveting, the writing would be tight and the acting would be good. Amazingly Moore and company have managed to screw up on each of those aspects though.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Episode 7...okay, now they have my attention. :) Besides the fact that literally 30 seconds into the episode we are treated to a quickie between the head of the CDC team and his assistant. :facepalm: Jeri Ryan joining the show has NOTHING to do with it. :ronnon_whistling: :P Jeri brings a totally new element to this show, being the corporate bitch protecting the interests of the company. She orders the Asian chief of the base around like a bad puppy. :anim_59: Evidently, she has some other unique abilities involving the destructibility of her teeth and perhaps other genetically enhanced stuff. It is intriguing (finally). They start talking about the virus and why it exists and who is behind it. Good... but is it enough?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Hey did we get the numbers for the Feb 14th airing? :daniel_new004:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Dont you wonder how this shit makes it to the air? Didnt at least SOMEBODY who watched this at the studio say something like "You know, this show kinda drags. Too much drama and not enough about the virus. Perhaps you guys could turn the lights up a bit too?"

No. You know they are blind to quality. They have been assured that the next show will be there next SG1 or BSG or any other promise that catches the corporate ear,
these "deciderers" at syfy no dink about sci fi-they have been briefed buzz words like "its like==BSG, stargate, firefly, Ronald D Moore, or "favored by the millennial viewing group (the age grp)" and any other buzz feed, vox popular- hot topic spews that they think will put them back at the top in the genre in TV.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Tell me who won the first Helix ball then! :)