Helix: Love it or Hate it? (Awards Given)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't see how the story can continue beyond the first season. So, it may end about the same time that Syfy wants to can it.

I dont even see how it can make it past episode 8 :) We still know almost nothing about this virus, but we know a whole lot about the brother who died, who he slept with, that the guy who is played by Brian Campbell (cant think of the character name) caught them in bed, that the lesbian chick knows about it, and that the young tart of a doctor has the hots for him. :facepalm:. What about the virus? Oh, its probably manmade....DUH.

What were they thinking when they made this? Did ANYBODY finish watching it and say "Bravo! WOW, like...that was soooooo good! I cant wait until the next episode!". If they did, I want seeds from whatever they were smoking. :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Its in the Arctic Circle in International territory. Greenland (Kalaallit Nunaat) is a sovereign nation with no international territory.

Then they're really writing out of their asses cuz what they're describing is a GIGANTIC multi-level facility carved out of the ice to an extreme depth. That would be interesting if they explained it, but from what I understand they haven't.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Give SG-1 credit - they at least put their polar secret base in Antarctica.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The windmills are ridiculously stupid. They would indeed have serious icing issues unless they also have heaters built in which of course would eat up all the power they produce. It's one reason why McMurdo uses diesels we ship in fuel for to generate power and at one point had a reactor to supply power (really they should go back to that source).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The windmills are ridiculously stupid. They would indeed have serious icing issues unless they also have heaters built in which of course would eat up all the power they produce. It's one reason why McMurdo uses diesels we ship in fuel for to generate power and at one point had a reactor to supply power (really they should go back to that source).

This is why I say Helix is hack writing. If we can make these observations as mere viewers (or non-viewers at this point) why can't the professionals who actually get paid money figure this stuff out? I think that they do this kind of crap -- introduce windmills in an unlikely setting -- to pander to a politically correct demographic that doesn't exist to any great degree. And they do this at the expense of losing verity in the story. They also think we're too stupid to figure it out, which is, of course, insulting.

B

Backstep

Okay, the new gray Helix Crystal Ball lives :):

View attachment 29408

The episode list and broadcast dates AND ratings are in this Wiki:

So, when do we start ratings? If now, then I will make my prediction. This last episode was 1.33 million? Okay:

Episode 5 "Survivor Zero", airs Feb 14 2014

Overmind One - 0.9 million
Backstep- 1.32

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Ronald Moore is running Starz' "Outlander" series, and from what I've read, he's been told to produce it for the fans of the books and not take liberties.

Hoping this will help the series, as Starz has ordered SIXTEEN episodes for the first season.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ronald Moore is running Starz' "Outlander" series, and from what I've read, he's been told to produce it for the fans of the books and not take liberties.

Hoping this will help the series, as Starz has ordered SIXTEEN episodes for the first season.

Is that the Tad Williams stuff?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Is that the Tad Williams stuff?
No, Tad's is "Outland". This is a time travel series by Diana Gabaldon. The first novel in the (so far seven book) series is called "Outlander". It's about a 1940's era nurse who falls through standing stones and finds herself in Scotland of the 1700's.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Good stuff?
It's got romance, if you can handle that. The author has done a lot of research for the series. While she has gone back in time, she cannot change massive bits of history, but she can help resolve small things.

I've really enjoyed the series and am currently re-reading the fourth novel in the series. The next one's out this year, sometime.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I can handle anything as long as it serves a story purpose, if it does not serve the story, it's just annoying.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:facepalm:

Episode 5 they killed off the only character in this show who was fun to watch. :(

helixspoiler.PNG

With that character gone, there is NOBODY fun left in the entire show. Everybody else is brooding, calculating, emotionally unstable or hopelessly, psychotically loyal to some (as yet unnamed) military entity protecting the truth. Its already old, and they are milking the "mystery" for all it is worth, which is nothing.

I want Ron Moore to make me understand why it wouldn't be better to just allow this virus to consume everyone on this base and thus keep it contained and unable to infect others? If this virus is so valuable to "somebody" on the outside, why haven't they sent in somebody to collect a sample for safekeeping? That is just one of many many stupid flaws with this horrible show.

Seriously folks, this show may be one of the worst shows of the past 5 years. A real bomb. And this time, there isnt a little pocket of fans who are actually liking it. With a premiere at a paltry 1.82 million and every episode after that being around 1.3 (and already as low as 1.1), there is no possible future for this show except cancellation.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm sure it's one of those things where there is some secret corporate/government plot to get hold of things to weaponize them, a la the "Alien" movies.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
At least REs Umbrella Corporation is so singlemindedly evil it provides a form of comedy.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
At least REs Umbrella Corporation is so singlemindedly evil it provides a form of comedy.

Funny you should mention that as it only got silly (comedic style) after Resident Evil 3. However at least the reason why the outbreak occurred in Raccoon city plausible (for computer game story telling stand point I mean.

But also Umbrella used the outbreak to do some field testing (with the UBCS mercenaries), so yes still silly but hey, making the best of a bad situation!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Funny you should mention that as it only got silly (comedic style) after Resident Evil 3. However at least the reason why the outbreak occurred in Raccoon city plausible (for computer game story telling stand point I mean.

But also Umbrella used the outbreak to do some field testing (with the UBCS mercenaries), so yes still silly but hey, making the best of a bad situation!
"THAT bullet wound?" So she wasn't going to take care of all of the bullet wounds? Just one of them?