Helix: Love it or Hate it? (Awards Given)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Perhaps! But who here is watching the show? We could predict the ratings...I think this show will die after this season, unless they got a two year deal. Got any idea what the ratings are?

How odd, I was just wondering this very thing today regarding ratings for this show. I really hope to God that Moore doesn't have one of those two season deals that SyFy likes to hand out nowadays. I thought they learned their lesson after SGU tanked and Caprica along with it (they had to burn the rest of the episodes during a marathon on a weekday). But with DEFIANCE getting a two season deal that means they haven't exactly given up that stupid system yet.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Time for a new globe?

I second the motion! :daniel_new_anime021:

The only thing interesting about Helix would be our "ratings dead pool" thread. We have to have one! :icon_lol:

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Ratings limbo! How low can you go! Doo doo!

I haven't watched it yet, but read up on it. Holy moly rubber polly, I've seen better writing and ideas from a T-rex slapping its front claws over paper. Why, why oh why are the characters stupid. HUURRDUURRR must break all contamination procedures because my Brother is infected, I know lets poke an infected monkey who is raging around surely that won't cause any problems. I felt more sympathy for the pile of bricks that fell over last night when it was windy.

Moore and that other pleb head of a writer are freaking hacks.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Moore is not a hack, he just cannot make his "own world" to play in.
In essence, he is a real good fan fic writer. That does not make him bad, it just means he has to see his limitations.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Moore is not a hack, he just cannot make his "own world" to play in.
In essence, he is a real good fan fic writer. That does not make him bad, it just means he has to see his limitations.

I dunno dude, I think Moore is listing into hack territory (or has already listed that way). He clearly lied about BSG being fully planned out in terms of the story but it soon became obvious that he was simply throwing crap against the bulkhead to see what would stick. That was something of a "hack" move if you ask me. And now this seems to be Moore's modus operandi. The Helix storyline has little to do with science, and science is the star, or should be, which is very telling.

So I ask you, what kind of a writer eschews the hard work of constructing an intelligent science-based story in favor of falling back on interpersonal melodrama? A hack, that's who. :P

I am curious to know why you think that Moore isn't a hack in regards to the TV shows I've mentioned? I think the evidence speaks for itself and the indictment is clear, but am interested in hearing a rebuttal.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I dunno dude, I think Moore is listing into hack territory (or has already listed that way). He clearly lied about BSG being fully planned out in terms of the story but it soon became obvious that he was simply throwing crap against the bulkhead to see what would stick. That was something of a "hack" move if you ask me. And now this seems to be Moore's modus operandi. The Helix storyline has little to do with science, and science is the star, or should be, which is very telling.
The first season of BSG is actually quite good. it was well written and conceived, and it was tight. How is got to the state is was in S3-4 is beyond my pay grade dude. What I would point out however is that his works do tend to fall into the "drama" area. DS-9, BSG, and (possibly??) Helix are all drama shows with scifi trimmings -not Scifi with drama trimmings.
I guess I would never expect anything but a "drama first" story from Ron Moore.

So I ask you, what kind of a writer eschews the hard work of constructing an intelligent science-based story in favor of falling back on interpersonal melodrama? A hack, that's who. :P
I dunno, there are lots of people who can write fantastic stories in established settings, but lack the ability to actually conceive of their own independent worlds. Conversely, their are lots of people who can create such worlds, but not populate them with characters that are either appealing or interesting.
Are either "hacks"?? I dunno dude, I really don't.

I am curious to know why you think that Moore isn't a hack in regards to the TV shows I've mentioned? I think the evidence speaks for itself and the indictment is clear, but am interested in hearing a rebuttal.
Try this little experiment. Create a world, then try to fill it with interesting characters and stories. Chances are there is one aspect to this you will be better at than the other. Does that make you a "hack"??
The hack bit comes when you think your sub-par world is as good as your great characters, or the other way around, or you get told they are and you begin to believe it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I second the motion! :daniel_new_anime021:

The only thing interesting about Helix would be our "ratings dead pool" thread. We have to have one! :icon_lol:

Okay, the new gray Helix Crystal Ball lives :):

Helix.jpg

The episode list and broadcast dates AND ratings are in this Wiki:

So, when do we start ratings? If now, then I will make my prediction. This last episode was 1.33 million? Okay:

Episode 5 "Survivor Zero", airs Feb 14 2014

Overmind One - 0.9 million

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I also like the show's concept of an underground base in the Arctic....

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Um...sarcasm?

I want to know how they built an "underground" base in a place with no actual "terra firma" :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Um...sarcasm?

I want to know how they built an "underground" base in a place with no actual "terra firma" :)

Honestly, they could be in a sunken drilling rig (like Abyss), perhaps an experimental underwater lab that got disconnected from the surface, they could even do this awful coprolite of a show in a few basement floors of a collapsed building. It would make no difference. I have watched 5 episodes and I cant tell you what the name of the lead guy is!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True.

I just was noting how they show so little attention to even basic details that they have an underground base in the arctic. That is lazy writing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Um...sarcasm?

I was thinking the same thing but then remembered that they said the base was in Greenland...I believe. :daniel_new004:

If it's not in Greenland and it's dug into the ice then that raises many more questions.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
True.

I just was noting how they show so little attention to even basic details that they have an underground base in the arctic. That is lazy writing.

Lazy writing indeed. And annoying writing also. I love the way they make sure to show us the politically correct windmills that power the place. :rolleyes: I'm no expert but I would suspect that windmills in that climate would become coated with ice and stop spinning rather quickly.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

ShavedApe - 1.01

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was thinking the same thing but then remembered that they said the base was in Greenland...I believe. :daniel_new004:

If it's not in Greenland and it's dug into the ice then that raises many more questions.

Its in the Arctic Circle in International territory. Greenland (Kalaallit Nunaat) is a sovereign nation with no international territory.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I hate this stupid show. The casting in this is horrible beyond belief. :facepalm: Billy Campbell as the lead is a fail. The young female Ph.D. played by Jordan Hayes is ridiculous. Every single minute of this dumb show is focused on interpersonal relationships and building some sort of tension around the virus. But the viewer doesn't care because the initial scenes of the virus and it's effects were done in the first two episodes. Episode 4 (the one I just watched) doesn't even connect you with those events at all.

This stupid show spends too much time away from the virus and science and concentrates on drama. Its worse than SGU.

The acting is horrible, the writing is horrible, and the visuals are boring and bland. They didnt even play any of the cutesy 1970s era road music. :( This stinker is sure to be canceled. I cant even see the dummies in the mainstream liking this.

I don't see how the story can continue beyond the first season. So, it may end about the same time that Syfy wants to can it.