So how was your day?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I live close enough to the edge of Chicagoland that I have easy access to the rural areas of the state.

Weat Lafayette I don't know a lot about - most of my Indiana experience is in the little towns outside of Renssalear.

LMAO you are still well within the chicago areas of influence...try heading to the mississippi and drive down the river-- we did a few years ago...we drove to Danville and then accross the state on 74 and kept getting on smaller and smaller roads until we hit Nauvoo, IL. beleive me NOTHING outside of chicago looks like the middle of the state.

West Lafayette is south of Renssalear- a college town. The home of Purdue University. lafayette has a few big businesses (A subaru plant, ALCOA, and Staley- the processed corn into corn syrup and would have to "burn off" the residual in their equipment a couple times a year...OMG did it stink! :P) and about 50K population.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
LMAO you are still well within the chicago areas of influence...try heading to the mississippi and drive down the river-- we did a few years ago...we drove to Danville and then accross the state on 74 and kept getting on smaller and smaller roads until we hit Nauvoo, IL. beleive me NOTHING outside of chicago looks like the middle of the state.

West Lafayette is south of Renssalear- a college town. The home of Purdue University. lafayette has a few big businesses (A subaru plant, ALCOA, and Staley- the processed corn into corn syrup and would have to "burn off" the residual in their equipment a couple times a year...OMG did it stink! :P) and about 50K population.

Indeed. that is about an hour or so drive for me going straight south on IL-45.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Look what I can now do thanks to Overmind! He found the issue!

:atlrocks: :icon_e_wink: :icon_exclaim: :mallozzicry:

G

Graybrew1

Got my butt kicked by the "english" in this AOE II game that I have been learning to play with you experts. All my guys are dead. Horrid site to see. Now when I make more men they keep running back to go fight and get killed again.

Help please. How do I stop the guys from instantly going to the english when I first make them. Errgh.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Got my butt kicked by the "english" in this AOE II game that I have been learning to play with you experts. All my guys are dead. Horrid site to see. Now when I make more men they keep running back to go fight and get killed again.

Help please. How do I stop the guys from instantly going to the english when I first make them. Errgh.

There are two types of AoE general players: Defenders and Rushers. Defenders KNOW the attacks are coming and spend initial resources to build defenses like walls, towers and making use of natural barriers. Rushers concentrate their initial resources on creating soldiers and usually make the first attack. I am a defender.

Sounds to me that you have accidentally set the waypoint of your Town Center at the English. Select the Town Center, then right click somewhere in your village to reset the waypoint.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
There are two types of AoE general players: Defenders and Rushers. Defenders KNOW the attacks are coming and spend initial resources to build defenses like walls, towers and making use of natural barriers. Rushers concentrate their initial resources on creating soldiers and usually make the first attack. I am a defender.

Sounds to me that you have accidentally set the waypoint of your Town Center at the English. Select the Town Center, then right click somewhere in your village to reset the waypoint.

defenders ALLWAYS lose BC you turn it into a war of attrition and at some point you will run out of resources. and loose no matter how formidable your defences are.

i used to be a defender as i love sandox and buiding and coming up with new ways to defend etc etc
but rushing gives you the element of surprise and you are able to launch the first attack and hopefully inflicting huge damge at the same time.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
defenders ALLWAYS lose BC you turn it into a war of attrition and at some point you will run out of resources. and loose no matter how formidable your defences are.

i used to be a defender as i love sandox and buiding and coming up with new ways to defend etc etc
but rushing gives you the element of surprise and you are able to launch the first attack and hopefully inflicting huge damge at the same time.

WRONG! I can prove it to you. :) The key in AoE II to winning as a defender, is having FARMS within your enclosure. You need an area roughly 1/6th of the board to do it, but if you use castles in your corners and have double walls (or triple) you can win very easily, and research all the technologies. I can beat rushers, because the rusher strategy assumes that the other side has not built a proper defense yet. I can play you as a defender and kick your butt. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hows about a challenge?

Lets go over to the Video Games section at a time of your choosing, and then do head to head in a Deathmatch on AoE II or III? I have a static IP address to host from...:) Im not a "traditional" defender. I build my defense first then become a rusher after I have built my war machine and a defense for it. Then again, you could totally OWN me. One of us can FRAPS the game. :)

Too bad Starcraft II doesnt have direct IP play. :( But original Starcraft does. :)

OMNI

Lets go over to the Video Games section at a time of your choosing, and then do head to head in a Deathmatch on AoE II or III? I have a static IP address to host from...:) Im not a "traditional" defender. I build my defense first then become a rusher after I have built my war machine and a defense for it. Then again, you could totally OWN me. One of us can FRAPS the game. :)

Too bad Starcraft II doesnt have direct IP play. :( But original Starcraft does. :)

you're on man. AOEII if i can get it to work over multiplayer. so feel free to host a game and we'll try it :)

and im about the same kind of player ie rusher/defender but i have learned that rushing can sometimes get you the upper edge and secure victory early on.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
you're on man. AOEII if i can get it to work over multiplayer. so feel free to host a game and we'll try it :)

and im about the same kind of player ie rusher/defender but i have learned that rushing can sometimes get you the upper edge and secure victory early on.

TRUE...if you know your player. Most players have no defense against a good rusher. But once you have gotten your butt kicked so many times by rushers, you formulate effecttive defenses against them. I have been beat down many times, but now I know how to beat the usual rushing techniques. BUT, only a game will tell. :) I will set it up and then we can play...perhaps within the next couple of days?

OMNI

TRUE...if you know your player. Most players have no defense against a good rusher. But once you have gotten your butt kicked so many times by rushers, you formulate effecttive defenses against them. I have been beat down many times, but now I know how to beat the usual rushing techniques. BUT, only a game will tell. :) I will set it up and then we can play...perhaps within the next couple of days?
sure give me a hollar over pm and we'll have us a game ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
sure give me a hollar over pm and we'll have us a game ;)

We can FRAPS it and upload it to YouTube on our private channel to play here. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so anyone else out there ever seen "black death"? it is a film from 2010 with Sean Bean (LOTR, GAME OF THRONES) andy Andy(?) Redmayne (from PILLARS OF THE EARTH the red-haired kid). It is pretty good, medieval setting-1346- the yr of the first wave of the plague. Anyhow, is there any movie where Sean Bean's character doesn't end up dying before the ending?:( He gets whacked every time it seems.

THIS JUST IN: A "little birdy" ("on my windowsill..." :biggrin:) told me there is most likely going to be a HUGE announcement by TMGM on the Syfy "Destiny, off topic chatter" thread tonight about 9pm EST (PLUS OR MINUS A few minutes) Hope you all can tune in:icon_neutral:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just saying we need to be a little careful. Sites get listed in one of two ways: Crawlers find objectionable stuff on their list or someone reports a site and a manual followup decides the stuff meets the filter criteria. Crawlers also follow links in posts, so embedding a link to explicit content can also cause it.

Just trying to inform...:) (it's nice to finally have the power of emotion here)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I don't think this should be publicly discussed.

Just saying we need to be a little careful. Sites get listed in one of two ways: Crawlers find objectionable stuff on their list or someone reports a site and a manual followup decides the stuff meets the filter criteria. Crawlers also follow links in posts, so embedding a link to explicit content can also cause it.

Just trying to inform...:) (it's nice to finally have the power of emotion here)
Indeed.

Guys, this is a public forum. We have a place for that kind of stuff and you all have access, so please let's keep it clean here. And more importantly, let's not discuss private information or personal conflicts here, pertaining to members of this or another befriended forum.

Thanks,
Mr. A

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Indeed.

Guys, this is a public forum. We have a place for that kind of stuff and you all have access, so please let's keep it clean here. And more importantly, let's not discuss private information or personal conflicts here, pertaining to members of this or another befriended forum.

Thanks,
Mr. A
Ok. yup guilty..can you pls move the concerned posts to FH then? thx

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so anyone else out there ever seen "black death"? it is a film from 2010 with Sean Bean (LOTR, GAME OF THRONES) andy Andy(?) Redmayne (from PILLARS OF THE EARTH the red-haired kid). It is pretty good, medieval setting-1346- the yr of the first wave of the plague. Anyhow, is there any movie where Sean Bean's character doesn't end up dying before the ending?:( He gets whacked every time it seems.

THIS JUST IN: A "little birdy" ("on my windowsill..." :biggrin:) told me there is most likely going to be a HUGE announcement by TMGM on the Syfy "Destiny, off topic chatter" thread tonight about 9pm EST (PLUS OR MINUS A few minutes) Hope you all can tune in:icon_neutral:

well here's what tmgm put up. he def. over-hyped his announcement, guess he is in to SW too:) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=493ljyoox6o&feature=related