So how was your day?

Tropicana

Council Member
Meh. I just don't really care for lobster. Old bay is fine when I am in the mood for it. I would rather have some cocktail sauce, because I love horseradish. I agree about the butter....Just say No. :D
Lobster is like totally awesome! :eek:

You can't go wrong with lobsters, crabs, langoustines (could eat a ton of those), mussels, clams, sea snails like abalone or whelks.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
No, I have never eaten a soft shell crab. Don't they have the green stuff too? :icon_eek:

I can't imagine the cost of a block party with God knows how many bushels of crabs. :eek: My one relative lives at the beach, she puts traps out and catches them in her "back yard".
Talk about a cheap meal. :P

It sounds like to me the way you feel about crab is the way I feel about sushi grade tuna.(insert another drooling smile) There is an Italian place near me that makes the best seared tuna and roasted Italian vegetable salad. It is to die for. :icon_e_smile:

My uncle had a small lobstaaah trap (boat) and he would put out some small traps and collect them for family use...I miss the Clambakes on the beach!

Sounds interesting. But given the allergy issue I will stick to regular fish. What do you guys think of Lake fish like perch and trout?

nope not into trout. perch is okay as is bass...but trout or smelts... YUCK :P:P

something that big would be too tough...not sweet and delicate!

Tropicana

Council Member
My uncle had a small lobstaaah trap (boat) and he would put out some small traps and collect them for family use...I miss the Clambakes on the beach!

**drools** never had one of those clambakes but seen them on shows, they look so fun. Closest I had was at the family home and we got a big pots worth and the whole family just feasted on them.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Here in Hell (better known as the American Midwest) we have a particularly noxious concoction called a "Fish boil". It's something of a tourist trap attraction as the locals don't really participate in these culinary nightmares. What they do is take a HUGE kettle and set it above a campfire. They fill it with water and throw in some some Whitefish (or more likely these days Cod) and bring it to a boil. Then they dump kerosene (you read that right) on top of the boiling mess so when it boils over the sides of the pot the kerosene ignites from the fire below and the whole thing is engulfed in a mass of flames. Ooooohhh! How exciting! :roll: After the flames die down the overcooked fish is lifted out and served to the unimpressed tourists along with some -- wait for it -- boiled potatoes! Mmmm! :roll: Of course the unmistakeable scent and taste of kerosene is ever present in the meal. Bon appetit!

G

Graybrew1

Here in Hell (better known as the American Midwest) we have a particularly noxious concoction called a "Fish boil". It's something of a tourist trap attraction as the locals don't really participate in these culinary nightmares. What they do is take a HUGE kettle and set it above a campfire. They fill it with water and throw in some some Whitefish (or more likely these days Cod) and bring it to a boil. Then they dump kerosene (you read that right) on top of the boiling mess so when it boils over the sides of the pot the kerosene ignites from the fire below and the whole thing is engulfed in a mass of flames. Ooooohhh! How exciting! :roll: After the flames die down the overcooked fish is lifted out and served to the unimpressed tourists along with some -- wait for it -- boiled potatoes! Mmmm! :roll: Of course the unmistakeable scent and taste of kerosene is ever present in the meal. Bon appetit!

That sounds disgusting. :facepalm:

You sound miserable. Any news on that move? I hope so for your sake. :icon_lol: I would not want to live in Hell. LOL

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
**drools** never had one of those clambakes but seen them on shows, they look so fun. Closest I had was at the family home and we got a big pots worth and the whole family just feasted on them.

they were great...sitting on the beach near the firepit, smelling the food cooking and waiting until everything is cooked to perfection. lobstaaah, clams, corn on the cob, potaotes...all steamed and delish! We had a firepit we kept reusing. After we were done eating my uncle would clean it out, removing the stones for use next time. :D Here's a good description from Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_clam_bake

@ape...whenever you had BBQ at my house- lighterfluid was one of the "essential flavors"...my mom wasn't patient enough for the coals to get to the right stage. :P gag!!!!

G

Graybrew1

Ah. I keep forgetting about emoticons.

I would say that you are so serious all the time that is why I thought you were not kidding.........but you are the reason I am going to be watching DAM, which looks pretty much NOT serious, so I guess, I can't.:icon_e_wink: :biggrin:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I would say that you are so serious all the time that is why I thought you were not kidding.........but you are the reason I am going to be watching DAM, which looks pretty much NOT serious, so I guess, I can't.:icon_e_wink: :biggrin:

I envy you emoticon people. I keep having problems gaining visibility to the emoticon controls. For example I am doing Reply With Quote right now and have no emoticon button.

G

Graybrew1

I envy you emoticon people. I keep having problems gaining visibility to the emoticon controls. For example I am doing Reply With Quote right now and have no emoticon button.

That sounds like a tech problem. I used 5 different computers and everyone of them has the emoticons. :confused:

If all else fails you could get a photobucket account and go really nuts.

LOL

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That sounds like a tech problem. I used 5 different computers and everyone of them has the emoticons. :confused:

If all else fails you could get a photobucket account and go really nuts.

LOL

I tried it on both Chrome and IE9 - no emoticon controls.

G

Graybrew1

I tried it on both Chrome and IE9 - no emoticon controls.

Weird. Maybe you should get a photobucket account then. It is free and has loads of emoticons.

http://photobucket.com/

All you do is set up an account, and then type the word smileys and you get a ton. Pick one, right click on it. Hit copy. Go to where you want to paste in your reply, right click and hit paste.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

I take it you're in Wisconsin. I'm in Illinois and we do no such thing. Also, my understanding of a fish boil differs a bit from your description. To my understanding the water is brought to boil then a basket is lowered in with the fish (whitefish or trout) with red potatoes, sometimes onion and also some salt. Once the fish oil has risen to the top they add the small Kerosene specifically to cause a boil over and take the fish oil out of the pot.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I take it you're in Wisconsin. I'm in Illinois and we do no such thing. Also, my understanding of a fish boil differs a bit from your description. To my understanding the water is brought to boil then a basket is lowered in with the fish (whitefish or trout) with red potatoes, sometimes onion and also some salt. Once the fish oil has risen to the top they add the small Kerosene specifically to cause a boil over and take the fish oil out of the pot.

methinks he was describing the tourist trap version. ;) quick and dirty! :D you don't live in "real" Illinois do you? You live in the Chicago area right? you don't know what's done in a state unless you live in one of the many small towns away from the city. we were in west lafayette for 14 years...got a real taste of the "real" Indiana...I prefer Indy! :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

It's the Door County version that I've witnessed several times. I'm just not big on having a kerosene taste to my dinner. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
methinks he was describing the tourist trap version. ;) quick and dirty! :D you don't live in "real" Illinois do you? You live in the Chicago area right? you don't know what's done in a state unless you live in one of the many small towns away from the city. we were in west lafayette for 14 years...got a real taste of the "real" Indiana...I prefer Indy! :D

I live close enough to the edge of Chicagoland that I have easy access to the rural areas of the state.

Weat Lafayette I don't know a lot about - most of my Indiana experience is in the little towns outside of Renssalear.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's the Door County version that I've witnessed several times. I'm just not big on having a kerosene taste to my dinner. ;)

Got it.

I had fish boil once and there was no Kerosene taste - they only used a very little bit of it in a pot where the fish oil was already up over the rim. I still didn't care for it tho.

Fish fry outs now, those can be yummy.