So how was your day?

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
two things-
First- his title is NOT president Barak Obama; it is The President of the United States (by the constitution) so while you thought the introduction was awkward it was correct according to diplomatic etiquette.

Second- Obama was the third US president to address Parliment- Ronald Reagan was the first,in '82 ( I remember watching that one on tv :D thank the monkey gods for CSpan!), clinton in the 90's. BUT he was the first to give the address in Westminster Hall.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/may/25/head-state-addressing-uk-parliament

so the "O" wasn't first at all! ;) what is weird is that Russian head of state has done it 6 times...I am assuming that is the USSR as well as russian leaders? maybe? http://www-958.ibm.com/software/dat...alizations/heads-of-state-addressing-the-uk-p
now the biggie...did he use his teleprompter? he was the first to use on in the indian parliment. wonder if it can be added to his firsts. ;)

edit- yep it was both free russian and USSR heads- and both prime ministers of the ussr and communist party heads (not always the same person). pres bush seems quite happy in his retirement...he is not a petty man like others. ;)

I hope so, his speeches are much better when he isn't going off the cuff. :P

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Rac will do that to you when she's on a roll :eek: :P
LOL head full of useless info here! :P

I hope so, his speeches are much better when he isn't going off the cuff. :P

what you don't find yourself enthralled by his "uh"s and "um"s... at least he doesn't say "like" a lot! ;)

Ok tornado sirens going off...going to be rough night for Indy. take care all! :D

SciphonicStranger

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, but it is definitely not winter now, and this is when I am buying it, and paying through the nose.

yeah but its not yet summer either. got give them a chance to get new stuff out to the DC's and stores.

G

Graybrew1

yeah but its not yet summer either. got give them a chance to get new stuff out to the DC's and stores.

But I needed my paper now, Dude. :biggrin: No using double sides in Medical. HIPPA and all that. :icon_e_wink:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Just got back from a long afternoon/evening of fun.

Interesting news, the US President hosting a dinner for Queen Elizabeth II. Weird in that Obama is hosting a U.S dinner on British soil... but Michelle Obama looks stunning at her black Ralph Lauren dress. It was also cool to see him present the House of Commons and House of Lords at the Great Westminster Hall, where back in pre-18th Century, Parliament use to took place. Most notably the great hall seen at the film "Elizabeth". One issue, I wasn't comfortable with the House Speaker presenting Obama in a way, similarly seen when the U.S' House Speaker presents the President to the audience of the U.S Congress.

Announcing - "President of the United States of America". Uh, this is the United Kingdom, this is the Great Hall of Westminster where Queen Elizabeth I and others would have got her Lords and Ministers to tax people, to launch and send ships to the New World for colonisation. I felt the House Speaker should have said, "I present you President Barack Obama to the floor". Something that is more dignified, equal and feels less of a Sovereignty-castration to the U.S. At least he was the first U.S President to address the British Parliament. Eat your heart out, Bush Jr!

well at least its a long way from "Royal Governor of the Colonies" :P

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
All this is giving me a headache.

lol

Do you think our President got a headache after he "royally" srcewed up the toast of the Queen--when he was talking over "God Save the Queen" that is ? She gave him that icy cold, evil Aunt type stare:icon_eek: On top of his screw up maybe she is still peeved about him giving her an Ipod when she visited here last year:icon_e_wink:

S

Stonelesscutter

Do you think our President got a headache after he "royally" srcewed up the toast of the Queen--when he was talking over "God Save the Queen" that is ? She gave him that icy cold, evil Aunt type stare:icon_eek: On top of his screw up maybe she is still peeved about him giving her an Ipod when she visited here last year:icon_e_wink:

She was probably thinking "An Ipod??? As if I can't afford to get one! Hell, mine's got diamonds all over it. And if I want to I'll just by the whole Apple company!"

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Well, the iPod was filled with MP3's of his most memorable speeches for her enjoyment. No joke, that was the actual "gift". :facepalm:

But I guess that beats the last time he visited the Queen and gave her a few DVDs he apparently picked at random (or his favorites?). Never mind that she wouldn't be able to play them because of the region code "1" and NTSC. :icon_lol:

What's next? A Basketball with the French flag on it? I can hardly wait... :D

S

Stonelesscutter

Well, the iPod was filled with MP3's of his most memorable speeches for her enjoyment. No joke, that was the actual "gift". :facepalm:

But I guess that beats the last time he visited the Queen and gave her a few DVDs he apparently picked at random (or his favorites?). Never mind that she wouldn't be able to play them because of the region code "1" and NTSC. :icon_lol:

Heheheh. Doesn't he have advisors for picking out presents? :)

G

Graybrew1

That is just Sad.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Yeah, weren;'t the DVD's bought at an Airport duty free store by a white house aide at the last minute? I remember ppl getting all disjointed about that.

SciphonicStranger