So how was your day?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm not disagreeing with your post. I'm pointing out the differences between your examples of violence driven by a moment or situation vs indoctrinated cult-mindset violence. Your examples are crimes of passion and opportunity. "Somebody" shooting down a plane with a bazooka is not the same as "a group of people" flying planes into buildings in the name of a higher power. There's a very distinct difference.

But GB makes a good point about members of "tribes" being driven to violence against ones not in said tribe be it flying planes into buildings or giving someone a beat-down because he wears the wrong gang colors. The basic, abstract motive is behind all of these actions we're discussing is it not?

G

Graybrew1

But GB makes a good point about members of "tribes" being driven to violence against ones not in said tribe be it flying planes into buildings or giving someone a beat-down because he wears the wrong gang colors. The basic, abstract motive is behind all of these actions we're discussing is it not?
Thank goodness, you get the point I was trying to make. I will give u some GB green, Shaved.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

The discussion started off about how religion has played a pivotal role in violence throughout history then we digressed into gangs vs cults. Read back a little. GB and I had some interesting exchanges of ideas and opinions.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The discussion started off about how religion has played a pivotal role in violence throughout history then we digressed into gangs vs cults. Read back a little. GB and I had some interesting exchanges of ideas and opinions.

I have read through your earlier diatribes and Canadian-esque screeds and still arrive at the same abstract point. I guess I'm really just reducing it down to an abstract philosophical observation. Tribes attack non-tribe members as a matter of course. They rarely eat their own and only do so when there's a schism based on philosophical differences.

You can be a terrorist in Syria that kills people because you use religious beliefs as a mask for your psychopathic tendencies or you can be a gangbanger in South Central L.A. who kills rival gang members because you believe that you're superior due to your gang affiliation. I see a common thread in all these examples which is an "Us verses Them" pathology.

Bluce Ree

I have read through your earlier diatribes and Canadian-esque screeds and still arrive at the same abstract point. I guess I'm really just reducing it down to an abstract philosophical observation. Tribes attack non-tribe members as a matter of course. They rarely eat their own and only do so when there's a schism based on philosophical differences.

You can be a terrorist in Syria that kills people because you use religious beliefs as a mask for your psychopathic tendencies or you can be a gangbanger in South Central L.A. who kills rival gang members because you believe that you're superior due to your gang affiliation. I see a common thread in all these examples which is an "Us verses Them" pathology.

I get what you're saying but I was focusing on the differences between the two and how religious extremism influences the individual. The Syrian terrorist will willingly wrap himself in explosives and blow himself up along with his targets to further his crusade whereas the gangbanger will not.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I get what you're saying but I was focusing on the differences between the two and how religious extremism influences the individual. The Syrian terrorist will willingly wrap himself in explosives and blow himself up along with his targets to further his crusade whereas the gangbanger will not.

I was coming at it from the angle of the individual seeking out a sanctuary for his psychopathic mindset. My point being that religion doesn't influence people to commit murderous acts as much as it offers murderers a legit aegis to operate under. Not sure I'm making my point very clearly here, sorry about that. Eric Hoffer does a better job of explaining it.

It may seem like splitting hairs but I think it's an important angle to consider. Does religious extremism influence the individual or is the individual already extreme and seeking out a venue that validates his/her pathology?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Well today I went to the district court as part of my social studies class, to learn more about the workings of our justice system or some crap like that. Don't remember the teacher's exact words. It was.... boring. In fact, the only good part of the whole experience was that one the court assistants was wearing a top which was rather see-through. She had a nice bra. Black lace I think. And it was pretty chilly in the courtroom too, so there's that to be thankful for.

Bluce Ree

I was coming at it from the angle of the individual seeking out a sanctuary for his psychopathic mindset. My point being that religion doesn't influence people to commit murderous acts as much as it offers murderers a legit aegis to operate under. Not sure I'm making my point very clearly here, sorry about that. Eric Hoffer does a better job of explaining it.

It may seem like splitting hairs but I think it's an important angle to consider. Does religious extremism influence the individual or is the individual already extreme and seeking out a venue that validates his/her pathology?

In principle, I agree with what you're saying. I don't think religion on its own inspires violence or makes people do bad things, but, looking back through history, it has been used to develop cult-like behavior in its followers by those in power.

A street gang won't be convinced by its leader to take their own lives because some omnipotent being wishes it. A religious cult may.

Bluce Ree

Well today I went to the district court as part of my social studies class, to learn more about the workings of our justice system or some crap like. Don't remember the teacher's exact words. It was.... boring. In fact, the only good part of the whole experience was that one the court assistants was wearing a top which was rather see-through. She had nice a bra. Black lace I think. And it was pretty chilly in the courtroom too, so there's that to be thankful for.

:rotflmao:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I like that post. Have some green. :)

Edit: Hmmm ... it's telling me I already gave you green but I can't remember when. :(

still waiting on your green!

A simple tip, if you green one of my posts then maybe you can green Rac again. :P :D

sneaky sneaky! ;)

Ok, you been greened. :icon_lol:

still waiting on the green from you bluce! :)

yep that is very true...there are certain "personality types" that are attracted to situations that allow their sociopathic tendency full rein.

yep see above ^^ :D:D

and to cut off their 'nads :eek::eek:

green for remembering that little tidbit! ;)