So how was your day?

G

Graybrew1

If anybody does not wish to go to one, then don't. If you do, then do.
I have done both in life.

TBH,
Most churches I have gone to, are only about an hour to 45 min long. Most of it is announcements about bake sales and kid events and singing. The sermon itself is really only like a half hour or so long.

There is nobody forcing anybody to donate to their church. It is also a tax deduction that you can use for your taxes in the US.

Nowadays you can just listen to the weekly sermon online, to be "fed" if you want and skip the rest.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Speaking of "fed", I'm craving junk food. I feel like a woman on a cycle because it happens once or twice a month around the same time. :(

G

Graybrew1

Speaking of "fed", I'm craving junk food. I feel like a woman on a cycle because it happens once or twice a month around the same time. :(

Hot air popcorn with some Smart Balance and garlic and onion flakes with sea salt cures that craving for me for junk food.:)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Alternately Bluce may be craving White Castle.

S

Stonelesscutter

Just realized my mistake. It's 2% of the members of the Church of Sweden which regularily attend sunday services. The Church of Sweden has about 6,6 million members in a country with around 9 million inhabitants. So the percentage is going to be well... less. But if you add those up with people who go to independent churches you're probably gonna get a number still well below 5%. No way in hell is it gonna be much higher than that since only 10% of the population consider themselves to be christian (then it's 40% agnostic, 20% atheist, and 30% "other").

Well you said 6,6 million church members in a country of 9 million. That comes down to about 73% of the country. Then you add people who go to independent churches and you say the number will be well below 5%.

I'm probably misunderstanding this but perhaps you could clarify.

S

Stonelesscutter

TBH,
Most churches I have gone to, are only about an hour to 45 min long. Most of it is announcements about bake sales and kid events and singing. The sermon itself is really only like a half hour or so long.

There is nobody forcing anybody to donate to their church. It is also a tax deduction that you can use for your taxes in the US.

Nowadays you can just listen to the weekly sermon online, to be "fed" if you want and skip the rest.

Tax deduction for church donations. :facepalm: So you can just say you donated a whole lot of money in the past year and who's gonna be able to check?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Well you said 6,6 million church members in a country of 9 million. That comes down to about 73% of the country. Then you add people who go to independent churches and you say the number will be well below 5%.

I'm probably misunderstanding this but perhaps you could clarify.

Well only around 200,000 of the remaining 3,4 million people are members of independent churches.

S

Stonelesscutter

Men have a hormonal cycle too, but we don't bleed along with it.

G

Graybrew1

Tax deduction for church donations. :facepalm: So you can just say you donated a whole lot of money in the past year and who's gonna be able to check?

If you claim too much then you are red flagged for audit by IRS. I you get audited and don't have cancelled checks or reciepts from the church you will be sanctioned. This is true for all deductions you claim for any taxes not just church.

S

Stonelesscutter

If you claim too much then you are red flagged for audit by IRS. I you get audited and don't have cancelled checks or reciepts from the church you will be sanctioned. This is true for all deductions you claim for any taxes not just church.

Well if you put money in a basket at the church you won't receive any receipts.

G

Graybrew1

Well if you put money in a basket at the church you won't receive any receipts.

This is true. Most churches advise to use checks or donate in person and get receipt. Very few people donate only in cash in the US churches. Up to 500 or so is not red flagged each year. Any deductions you use for IRS is at your own risk. As a taxpayer you are responsible to obtain proof and be aware of the tax laws. "Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law" is not just a saying.

I did my own taxes for years and have a CPA to do mine that I work hands on with each years quarterly. I was aware of these facts and always gave the churches a check or kept it under 500 in cash.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Taxes

TBH,

It always seems highly ironic that those who don't go to church get all worked up because some people do. what happened to "tolerance"? ;) why should my attendence at a church matter so someone who doesn't beleive in God? their lack of belief doesn't matter to me.

Reciepts are required for any donations you wish to claim on your taxes. If you give clothing or items to goodwill, etc you will recieve a receipt. Same if you give to any charity. only "anonymous" donations can't be claimed on your taxes. Most charities have "letterhead" receipts...you don't get a scrawled handwritten receipt.

This is true. Most churches advise to use checks or donate in person and get receipt. Very few people donate only in cash in the US churches. Up to 500 or so is not red flagged each year. Any deductions you use for IRS is at your own risk. As a taxpayer you are responsible to obtain proof and be aware of the tax laws. "Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law" is not just a saying.

I did my own taxes for years and have a CPA to do mine that I work hands on with each years quarterly. I was aware of these facts and always gave the churches a check or kept it under 500 in cash.

There was a scandal in the 80's because so many LDS people were audited by the IRS. Many (but naturally not all) LDS give 10% to their church annually (more if you are supporting a missionary or wish to give to specific funds of the church- education fund, welfare fund, etc...)and the IRS found the LDS church gave easy to read receipts and could be an "easy" audit because the records were there. One supreme court case later and IRS are not allowed to "flag" a religion. :P

I am a turbo tax fan....unlike turbo-tax tim geithner, I am able to use it correctly! :facepalm:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
It always seems highly ironic that those who don't go to church get all worked up because some people do. what happened to "tolerance"? ;) why should my attendence at a church matter so someone who doesn't beleive in God? their lack of belief doesn't matter to me.

Don't worry sweetie, we're not getting all worked up in discussion about faith and religion and stuff. We pretty much stumbled into it when I made a point to correct a minor error I made in a previous post of mine. Personally, I generally don't care what anyone's personal belief system is, unless it involves trying to force others to believe the same, or y'know, killing/hurting people.

S

Stonelesscutter

Everybody knows Scientology is the one and only true religion. The others are just wannabe's. :P