So how was your day?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I suspect he meant 11.4 Celsuis (about 53 degrees Fahrenheit).

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Damn that's hot! I bet you're wearing nothing but your mankini now.

Wow, you're a real comedian aren't you... :rolleyes:

I suspect he meant 11.4 Celsuis (about 53 degrees Fahrenheit).

Yep. It may not sound like much, but compared to the subzero temperatures we had last year around this time, it's bloody warm. Hell, it's 7:30 in the morning here right now, and it's still around 11 degrees! It'll probably get hotter during the day too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am in a "geek storm". My best client wants to move from Yahoo business email (OMG) to Google Apps (Business email). I think it is a GREAT move, but he does not understand what it means to make it go live. Reconfiguring of individual email accounts in Outlook (nobody will be using the web apps except those two or three on smartphones). I am frustrated at the fact that the main man does not know what this takes to accomplish. Even if I explain it, he gives me the classic Scooby Doo tilt of the head "hrummf?" :facepalm:. Money is not the problem, communication is. These times are good for geeks. :) Companies streamlining and using cloud apps and changing how they operate is a boon for geeks everywhere. But the long term effect of decisions made today are critical. I'm learning again! I was dead set against cloud apps, but now I see a way to make them work for me and my clients. I know this doesn't mean much to people here, but I had to get it out :)

Its taking a lot of my free time.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
While I am happy your client wants to get off Yahoo's junk offerings I do have doubts that Google's offering is a good solution simply because I have doubts about the security (and sincerity) of Google. Also that their business offerings are not best of breed. To me the best couse (even though it isn't free) is to use an actual business class host. But I do wish you success in migrating your client.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
While I am happy your client wants to get off Yahoo's junk offerings I do have doubts that Google's offering is a good solution simply because I have doubts about the security (and sincerity) of Google. Also that their business offerings are not best of breed. To me the best couse (even though it isn't free) is to use an actual business class host. But I do wish you success in migrating your client.

The best solution would be to use the could-based Exchange solution. But it is very expensive and I cant recommend it in this situation. Google is actually quite good for small business, given that it allows a lot ofm compatibility as far as mobile stull goes. But it is still far outside my ability to manage it in a granular fashion. It comes out to about 5$ a month per user, per month. At 20 users, that is a nice chunk of cash, but the service is very good. The problem with this client is that he has no idea how long it takes to migrate the whole company. I figure about two days and he thinkg it takes only a couple of hours. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I am in a "geek storm". My best client wants to move from Yahoo business email (OMG) to Google Apps (Business email). I think it is a GREAT move, but he does not understand what it means to make it go live. Reconfiguring of individual email accounts in Outlook (nobody will be using the web apps except those two or three on smartphones). I am frustrated at the fact that the main man does not know what this takes to accomplish. Even if I explain it, he gives me the classic Scooby Doo tilt of the head "hrummf?" :facepalm:. Money is not the problem, communication is. These times are good for geeks. :) Companies streamlining and using cloud apps and changing how they operate is a boon for geeks everywhere. But the long term effect of decisions made today are critical. I'm learning again! I was dead set against cloud apps, but now I see a way to make them work for me and my clients. I know this doesn't mean much to people here, but I had to get it out :)

Its taking a lot of my free time.

*sigh* I used to have a lot of that. The good ol' days.

Bluce Ree

The best solution would be to use the could-based Exchange solution. But it is very expensive and I cant recommend it in this situation. Google is actually quite good for small business, given that it allows a lot ofm compatibility as far as mobile stull goes. But it is still far outside my ability to manage it in a granular fashion. It comes out to about 5$ a month per user, per month. At 20 users, that is a nice chunk of cash, but the service is very good. The problem with this client is that he has no idea how long it takes to migrate the whole company. I figure about two days and he thinkg it takes only a couple of hours. :)

I'd endorse Google Apps before endorsing Exchange any day. There are enterprise-level Exchange killers available in open source. Not all open source projects are battlefield tested but the ones that have been are serious contenders. A few examples:

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.c...Source-Alternatives-to-Microsoft-Exchange.htmhttp://www.zimbra.com/downloads/os-downloads.html

I run my network entirely on open source and in-house developed code. I don't have a single piece of commercial software anywhere on the network.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Well the weather here is still freaking nuts. Today the temperature jumped up to 16°C. I remember the first few weeks of November last year very well. It was snowing like hell and the temperature dropped as low as -13°C. Almost a thirty degree difference there. I must that I much prefer the ways things are this year.

G

Graybrew1

Just heard from my Mom that Nana will probably not make it much longer. This year really sucks.

S

Stonelesscutter

Just heard from my Mom that Nana will probably not make it much longer. This year really sucks.

I'm sorry life is being hard on you lately. I wish you strength in working through it. I'm sure you'll prevail and happier times are in your future.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

*HUGZ*. You will be okay. Spend some time with her if you can.

Bluce Ree

Chin up, sweety. I feel for you but I've learned from personal experience that it's not over 'til it's over. Go spend some time with her, if you can, and throw her some positive energy.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Chin up, sweety. I feel for you but I've learned from personal experience that it's not over 'til it's over. Go spend some time with her, if you can, and throw her some positive energy.

This.

You just got to get through it, one foot after the other. At least you know so that gives you a chance to be with her a little bit.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

You are in my thoughts GB. *BigHug*

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
A day in the life.....

Tue Nov 8

Up at 4 am(nope not a morning person)

Arrived at the polling place at 5 to set it up (still not a morning person...much thanks to hubby for being a big help!
pinkglassesf.gif
)

6 am :"hear ye, hear ye the polls are open" (INdiana is traditional!)

Through out the day 19+ calls to the election board for various reasons: sent 5 people to their correct precinct, needing more voter assistance forms (to help the handicapped vote), missing key to the handicapped booth, etc...

6 pm : "hear ye hear ye, the polls are closed" Time to take down the polling booths, count the ballots (just the number not the votes)- 3 recounts to get numbers to jive. (Give hubby a kiss for showing up to help take eveything down
misteltoemoticons.gif
)
7pm finally arrive at county courthouse to turn in everything. (we were not merely the last precinct in but had the highest voter turnout! :D)

8pm snugglingwith hubby at home and fell asleep on the sofa!
nightf.gif

Well worth my time! I can say that the vote from my precinct was honestly cast and counted.
penguins-81.gif

S

Stonelesscutter

Shouldn't those polls remain open later than 6pm to give working people a chance to go vote?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
there is a 12 hour window...6 am to 6 pm is time enough for anyone to vote!

S

Stonelesscutter

there is a 12 hour window...6 am to 6 pm is time enough for anyone to vote!

Well imagine you had to be at your job at say 8am and that the commute usually takes you about an hour or an hour and a half. You'd have to leave for work at say 6:45. But before you do you also need to do the morning ritual of showering and breakfast and whatever, which can easily take up 45 minutes, so you have to get up at 6 at the latest. Then say going to the polling office will add about an extra half hour to your commute. There could be a waiting line at the polling office so perhaps that would add another 15 minutes. Now you will have to get up at about 5 o clock so you can go vote.

The alternative is to go vote after work. You start at 8 so including your lunchbreak you probably end work at 17 or 5pm. That is assuming you don't have to do overtime. Now you have to commute home and then on to the polling office or straight from work to the polling office. You are now most likely in rush hour again so the commute takes about an hour straight from work to the polling office. You're there at 6 but you find that there's a whole crowd of people that want to vote (coz you know everybody's so eager to) and unfortunately for everyone the polling office is closing down.

Now firstly, allow me to declare my admiration for your dedication to offering that service to the community. However I think the example I just gave shows that that polling window is kind of narrow for many people. If I'm not mistaken, around here the polling office is open till 9pm or perhaps even 10pm to make sure that people have the time to actually go there. They don't open at 6 in the morning though. I'm sure you would have liked to open the polling station at 8am instead of 6am.