So how was your day?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Well imagine you had to be at your job at say 8am and that the commute usually takes you about an hour or an hour and a half. You'd have to leave for work at say 6:45. But before you do you also need to do the morning ritual of showering and breakfast and whatever, which can easily take up 45 minutes, so you have to get up at 6 at the latest. Then say going to the polling office will add about an extra half hour to your commute. There could be a waiting line at the polling office so perhaps that would add another 15 minutes. Now you will have to get up at about 5 o clock so you can go vote.

The alternative is to go vote after work. You start at 8 so including your lunchbreak you probably end work at 17 or 5pm. That is assuming you don't have to do overtime. Now you have to commute home and then on to the polling office or straight from work to the polling office. You are now most likely in rush hour again so the commute takes about an hour straight from work to the polling office. You're there at 6 but you find that there's a whole crowd of people that want to vote (coz you know everybody's so eager to) and unfortunately for everyone the polling office is closing down.

Now firstly, allow me to declare my admiration for your dedication to offering that service to the community. However I think the example I just gave shows that that polling window is kind of narrow for many people. If I'm not mistaken, around here the polling office is open till 9pm or perhaps even 10pm to make sure that people have the time to actually go there. They don't open at 6 in the morning though. I'm sure you would have liked to open the polling station at 8am instead of 6am.

tealc-pancarte04.gif

Yep, and I would also add that I thinks it's much better when the election day is held on a saturday or sunday, because that means that most people will have the day off from work, because then it won't be so stressful for a lot of people who otherwise would work all day and have little time to get to the polling station before they close.

S

Stonelesscutter

View attachment 6289

Yep, and I would also add that I thinks it's much better when the election day is held on a saturday or sunday, because that means that most people will have the day off from work, because then it won't be so stressful for a lot of people who otherwise would work all day and have little time to get to the polling station before they close.

I agree with you. Though polling in the weekend would mean that those poor people in the polling office would have to work in the weekend. And ofcourse you can't do the polling on sundays because that's when people go to church and are not allowed to work. :P So that only leaves saturday. But I believe saturday is a holy rest day to people of a religion other than Christianity so that again complicates things. Perhaps it'd be best to have the polling station open from friday morning till monday evening, just to be sure. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I agree with you. Though polling in the weekend would mean that those poor people in the polling office would have to work in the weekend. And ofcourse you can't do the polling on sundays because that's when people go to church and are not allowed to work. :P So that only leaves saturday. But I believe saturday is a holy rest day to people of a religion other than Christianity so that again complicates things. Perhaps it'd be best to have the polling station open from friday morning till monday evening, just to be sure. :)

Perhaps they should just make me king of the world and forget about all that other crap. It's gonna happen anyway, why fight it?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

I suppose. Though holding the polling day on a sunday/saturday could realistically work in countries with a population which isn't very religious. We've held all our elections on sundays for years now and it's all gone peachy, but I suppose that when only 2% of the population go to church on a regular basis, religion doesn't really come into play. Another option would be that you make election day a day when people get the day off from work so that they can go and vote, no matter which day of the week it is.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I suppose. Though holding the polling day on a sunday/saturday could realistically work in countries with a population which isn't very religious. We've held all our elections on sundays for years now and it's all gone peachy, but I suppose that when only 2% of the population go to church on a regular basis, religion doesn't really come into play. Another option would be that you make election day a day when people get the day off from work so that they can go and vote, no matter which day of the week it is.

Europe is starting to look better and better.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
you have think everything through

Well imagine you had to be at your job at say 8am and that the commute usually takes you about an hour or an hour and a half. You'd have to leave for work at say 6:45. But before you do you also need to do the morning ritual of showering and breakfast and whatever, which can easily take up 45 minutes, so you have to get up at 6 at the latest. Then say going to the polling office will add about an extra half hour to your commute. There could be a waiting line at the polling office so perhaps that would add another 15 minutes. Now you will have to get up at about 5 o clock so you can go vote.

The alternative is to go vote after work. You start at 8 so including your lunchbreak you probably end work at 17 or 5pm. That is assuming you don't have to do overtime. Now you have to commute home and then on to the polling office or straight from work to the polling office. You are now most likely in rush hour again so the commute takes about an hour straight from work to the polling office. You're there at 6 but you find that there's a whole crowd of people that want to vote (coz you know everybody's so eager to) and unfortunately for everyone the polling office is closing down.

Now firstly, allow me to declare my admiration for your dedication to offering that service to the community. However I think the example I just gave shows that that polling window is kind of narrow for many people. If I'm not mistaken, around here the polling office is open till 9pm or perhaps even 10pm to make sure that people have the time to actually go there. They don't open at 6 in the morning though. I'm sure you would have liked to open the polling station at 8am instead of 6am.

there's also the way I voted since the precinct wasn't mine...absentee. We had 49 absentee ballots yesterday. The county courthouse has been open for the past two weeks - including saturdays so those that are unable to vote election day can vote. Then on election day your ballot is delivered to the precnct and counted. ;) also at 6am there is rarely a line waiting to vote. our first voter arrived at 6:48 am yesteday.

S

Stonelesscutter

I'd go for that option! :) Though in my case it wouldn't make any difference right now.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
there's also the way I voted since the precinct wasn't mine...absentee. We had 49 absentee ballots yesterday. The county courthouse has been open for the past two weeks - including saturdays so those that are unable to vote election day can vote. Then on election day your ballot is delivered to the precnct and counted. ;) also at 6am there is rarely a line waiting to vote. our first voter arrived at 6:48 am yesteday.

It's true, you have to take stuff like that into account. Hell, my entire family has used postal voting for years now. They get their voting done weeks before the actual election day.

S

Stonelesscutter

I don't think we have that sort of voting here. Though we do have the option of letting someone else vote for you. You'd have to trust that person to deliver the vote you would want though.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
mail-in absentee ballots are the way college kids are supposed to vote in Indiana...they are not considered residents of their college town- but their permanent residence is where they should vote...usually their parents home. I arranged for snookie to receive absentee ballots via mail when she lived in utah and california. (when she attended IU she just came home one saturday and voted). the US military that are stationed overseas also vote via the mail. I know of no place in the USA where someone can vote for you. If you are handicapped and need assistance two pollworkers (of the opposite parties) can assist you or you can designate a friend/family member to assist. But when you do that there is paperwork. (Which I am an expert at now :P)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Yes, I am thinking the same thing. I am seriously thinking of becoming an expat in Europe.

Bluce Ree

Yes, I am thinking the same thing. I am seriously thinking of becoming an expat in Europe.

Ditto. I've also been thinking of becoming an Expat in the Caribbean. You have islands with proximity, weather, modern infrastructure and, of course, weather, not to mention the tax benefits (yeah, I mentioned the weather twice).

Europe has the advantage of its union, allowing you to move freely around any EU country. If you're fed up of France, you can just pack up and move to Italy without worrying about visas or passports or anything. It would be easy for me to move there. I can get an EU passport through acquisition via my parents who were both born in Italy. :D

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

Just realized my mistake. It's 2% of the members of the Church of Sweden which regularily attend sunday services. The Church of Sweden has about 6,6 million members in a country with around 9 million inhabitants. So the percentage is going to be well... less. But if you add those up with people who go to independent churches you're probably gonna get a number still well below 5%. No way in hell is it gonna be much higher than that since only 10% of the population consider themselves to be christian (then it's 40% agnostic, 20% atheist, and 30% "other").

S

Stonelesscutter

Just realized my mistake. It's 2% of the members of the Church of Sweden which regularily attend sunday services. The Church of Sweden has about 6,6 million members in a country with around 9 million inhabitants. So the percentage is going to be well... less. But if you add those up with people who go to independent churches you're probably gonna get a number still well below 5%. No way in hell is it gonna be much higher than that since only 10% of the population consider themselves to be christian (then it's 40% agnostic, 20% atheist, and 30% "other").

Are you sure those numbers are correct? Somehow it doesn't feel right.

Bluce Ree

Are you sure those numbers are correct? Somehow it doesn't feel right.

That's probably what people were telling themselves while sitting in church for 3 hours every Sunday being told they're all sinners going to hell one day then have to dump their wallets into the church basket.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
That's probably what people were telling themselves while sitting in church for 3 hours every Sunday being told they're all sinners going to hell one day then have to dump their wallets into the church basket.

Yeah that, and of course the kids can't be too happy about going to sunday school being told that mastrubation and premarital sex is all evil and will send you straight to hell!

.....Hell, here I come!