So how was your day?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
On the subject of religion and taxes (and having nothing to do with either) I'll relate a little story of my past. Back in the mid-90's when I was managing a retail store I had grown bored with the ridiculous corporatism of the whole thing and had to find ways to entertain myself. Now we had a kids toy section and sold this Lego knock-off product called "ZOOB". It was the type of thing that you pieced together to create structures that you wanted. Only problem was there wasn't many options to what you made other than this stupid looking bug creature. Surprise surprise but in the several years that I was with the company we never sold a single one of these things.

At any rate, when the tedium got to me one day I wrote a note and put it on the bulletin board next to the time clock for employees. It said:

Attention drones!

Corporate has decreed that effective immediately all employees are to be paid in ZOOB dollars.

All hail overlord ZOOB!

Anyone with half a brain could tell it was a joke but alas there were a few earnest simpletons on the staff who asked if it was true. I set them straight, had a laugh and took the note down. Not long after that I was given the honor of being the first person promoted to the highly touted national management program -- seriously. This was to begin a long history of being promoted or recognized right when I no longer gave a crap about the company. I mean, it was like the less I cared the more they respected me.

Gotta love corporate America. :icon_lol:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Aw, man! Now I am!!! :icon_lol:

On the subject of religion and taxes (and having nothing to do with either) I'll relate a little story of my past. Back in the mid-90's when I was managing a retail store I had grown bored with the ridiculous corporatism of the whole thing and had to find ways to entertain myself. Now we had a kids toy section and sold this Lego knock-off product called "ZOOB". It was the type of thing that you pieced together to create structures that you wanted. Only problem was there wasn't many options to what you made other than this stupid looking bug creature. Surprise surprise but in the several years that I was with the company we never sold a single one of these things.

At any rate, when the tedium got to me one day I wrote a note and put it on the bulletin board next to the time clock for employees. It said:

Attention drones!

Corporate has decreed that effective immediately all employees are to be paid in ZOOB dollars.

All hail overlord ZOOB!

Anyone with half a brain could tell it was a joke but alas there were a few earnest simpletons on the staff who asked if it was true. I set them straight, had a laugh and took the note down. Not long after that I was given the honor of being the first person promoted to the highly touted national management program -- seriously. This was to begin a long history of being promoted or recognized right when I no longer gave a crap about the company. I mean, it was like the less I cared the more they respected me.

:icon_lol:

It's a lot like those huge bonuses for CEOs and boardmembers who do nothing but kickback and play golf all day. The corporate world just loves to award indifference. :P

G

Graybrew1

Attention drones!

All hail overlord ZOOB!

Yes, it really is hard to find good people these days. I guess you get what you pay for. :D;)

Bluce Ree

Attention drones!

All hail overlord ZOOB!

What happens when you didn't care at all and started going the other way towards despising everything? Do they make you CEO?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
What happens when you didn't care at all and started going the other way towards despising everything? Do they make you CEO?

Yes, but uneasy lies the head that wears a crown, hence my avoidance of the position. ;)

G

Graybrew1

Before I go and make a thread for this, is anybody going to do the SGA rewatch tonight?

B

Backstep

Can you go back 7 days and make this thread go away? Bring a lottery number back with you, while you're at it. :icon_lol:

I like pasta tho, plus someone forgot where they parked the sphere:(

This commercial gives us a peek behind the curtain of the business world and CEO's :icon_lol:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Before I go and make a thread for this, is anybody going to do the SGA rewatch tonight?

Looks like I did not miss it. How about tomorrow?

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.

oops looks like i spaced on this or rather over slept... man these folks are working me hard...
maybe ill be able to get here on time next week..

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Don't worry sweetie, we're not getting all worked up in discussion about faith and religion and stuff. We pretty much stumbled into it when I made a point to correct a minor error I made in a previous post of mine. Personally, I generally don't care what anyone's personal belief system is, unless it involves trying to force others to believe the same, or y'know, killing/hurting people.

I really wasn't aiming that towards the people here. currently in the USA there are athiest groups activly persecuting (through court cases mostly) christian groups. I get that they don't beleive, why does someone else's belief bug them? I guess cause misery loves company? they seem to be rather miserable souls! :P

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I really wasn't aiming that towards the people here. currently in the USA there are athiest groups activly persecuting (through court cases mostly) christian groups. I get that they don't beleive, why does someone else's belief bug them? I guess cause misery loves company? they seem to be rather miserable souls! :P
really? did you JUST say that? :facepalm: you are aware that your own religion and almost every religion there has ever been has tried and in most cases succeeded to force THEIR beliefs on others?

maybe you should point your question at normal human group behaviour rather then trying to pin it on a select group whom you personally seem to be so threatened by such as "atheists"

Bluce Ree

You mean like those who participated in the Crusades? :icon_lol:

I'm not against religion but there's no doubt the modern world would be a better place without it. Blowing up abortion clinics, taking down the twin towers, the genocides in Sudan, the systematic elimination of Jews by the Nazis ... these are just some examples of the power of "religion".

Atheists persecuting religious groups are no better. The problem is fanatics and fanaticism.

The Marklars got it right. If only we could take a page from their book.

[video=youtube_share;Bzq4YDt7V-o]-o

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You mean like those who participated in the Crusades? :icon_lol:

I'm not against religion but there's no doubt the modern world would be a better place without it. Blowing up abortion clinics, taking down the twin towers, the genocides in Sudan, the systematic elimination of Jews by the Nazis ... these are just some examples of the power of "religion".

Atheists persecuting religious groups are no better. The problem is fanatics and fanaticism.

The Marklars got it right. If only we could take a page from their book.

[video=youtube_share;Bzq4YDt7V-o]-o

Most of these problems would still exist if religion was gotten rid of. And no, I'm not an advocate for religion, but I think I make a valid point. There seems to be some sort of "need" in the human psyche to congregate in tribes and then hate and fear others who aren't in our specific tribes. It's a psychological condition than uses the guise of religion to carry out horrific acts of repression. If it wasn't religion it would be some other difference that would be exploited in the rush to exterminate that which we don't understand but deeply fear.

Bluce Ree

Most of these problems would still exist if religion was gotten rid of. And no, I'm not an advocate for religion, but I think I make a valid point. There seems to be some sort of "need" in the human psyche to congregate in tribes and then hate and fear others who aren't in our specific tribes. It's a psychological condition than uses the guise of religion to carry out horrific acts of repression. If it wasn't religion it would be some other difference that would be exploited in the rush to exterminate that which we don't understand but deeply fear.

I understand what you're saying and I don't completely disagree but history is plagued with atrocities motivated by religion. For example, what would have replaced the crusades had religion not existed?

S

Stonelesscutter

Sigh...
If only everyone was as wise and just as me.