Random Banter

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Here's something I thought some of you might enjoy. Adam Savage shows off his collection of prop guns/blasters. There's a lot of sci-fi stuff in there. I just love the way he cares about these things and the manner in which he is able to share his enthusiasm.

View: https://youtu.be/jxDSEulomCg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Invincible definitely pushes the envelope with the over the top gore. And in this case it is not needed to tell the story.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
1666921347055.png

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I sure hope airplanes don't depend on the reliability and durability of floppy disks.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Only when they need updates. Hopefully not for normal operations.
i mean they are flying on that updt loaded with that floppy, so...

we shouldn't put too much faith in modern tech anyhow

like GPS especially. I could go on and on about GPS being used so much in the military and the dangers of being too reliant on that. but with commercial airlines, replacing traditional waypoints or whatever, that tell planes on approach runway location, direction and altitude

before they used to be ground based on sent signal up to the aircraft like a ping to measure the distance and calculate position of both runway and craft

now they use GPS

but if either the GPS satellites go down by attack or are 'spoofed' - like how the Russians have been doing to UKR GPS equipment with some success- the aircraft is going to get bad info,, like the wrong altitude. the place can still be on a powered descent while too close to the ground,, etc

we still need redundancies .. the organization that began first use of GPS, the military has begun re-employing redundancies incase of GPS failure/ destruction since UKR war started in 2014

even though the army got rid of my old job- artillery surveyor, they have trained artillery radar operators how to use some survey equipment that works on ground based survey data; reinforced training on map reading and compass use. the navy has reinstituted navigating ships by stars

be a lot of lost Americans driving on the roads if Russia does start taking out the GPS constellation

but i digress...

Shadow Mann

Staff member
A
If anything you own or anyone owns or operates requires a floppy disk to operate, then it should be discarded! If a market exists for it, then it exists for luddites who are still stuck. A floppy disk will not even store a single photo. Of course, I am a techie, so I am biased. I would personally walk out on a job if the infrastructure had any machines or equipment requiring a floppy drive to operate it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
A

If anything you own or anyone owns or operates requires a floppy disk to operate, then it should be discarded! If a market exists for it, then it exists for luddites who are still stuck. A floppy disk will not even store a single photo. Of course, I am a techie, so I am biased. I would personally walk out on a job if the infrastructure had any machines or equipment requiring a floppy drive to operate it.
did you even watch the video?

the man said his biggest customers are airline companies as most aircraft need to update their software using a floppy disc drive

as well as machinists and clothing companies whose machines are expensive and only accept floppy discs. they do not want to invest in upgraded to new machines

in this economy, they will not be either

and related-- i still know how to format a floppy to reuse it even though i haven't seen one in years.. however, i still cannot figure out how to even erase on song from my thumb drive/USB flashdrive let alone format it. can it be done or is it intentional to just make me go and buy another one?

Shadow Mann

Staff member
did you even watch the video?

the man said his biggest customers are airline companies as most aircraft need to update their software using a floppy disc drive

as well as machinists and clothing companies whose machines are expensive and only accept floppy discs. they do not want to invest in upgraded to new machines

in this economy, they will not be either

and related-- i still know how to format a floppy to reuse it even though i haven't seen one in years.. however, i still cannot figure out how to even erase on song from my thumb drive/USB flashdrive let alone format it. can it be done or is it intentional to just make me go and buy another one?
Insert the USB drive, the open your file explorer to find it, right click it and you will see Format on the menu. If not, then choose Properties and it will be in there too. He said that 20 year old aircraft need floppies. The newer ones receive OTA updates or the updates are manually loaded using digital media.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm not so sure over the air updates are better than floppy disks. Someone could more easily hack into the system and upload a maleficent update.