Random Banter

Shadow Mann

Staff member
I'm not so sure over the air updates are better than floppy disks. Someone could more easily hack into the system and upload a maleficent update.
Exactly. I have not seen any planes being updated myself, but I have seen a very large boat be updated. Evidently, the updates have to do with navigation equipment and with the AIS (automatic identification system) transponder. The guy was using a tablet-like unit to do it, connected by a wire.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think the newer jets use usb flash drives for this.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
He said that 20 year old aircraft need floppies.
just STOP trying to argue man

the evidence is in the video! do you think people just make stuff up just to make a video?

he is doing a thriving business. people are sending him old floppys all the time for him to reuse and sell and he stated that most of his demand are from the airlines and the textile and milling industries

this is the way of reality; corporations do not and will not spend any additional money unless they absolutely have to. they will fly those planes until they will no longer fly and the FAA makes them park them and upgrade. and then the industry lobbyist may still get the Govt to not make them change out the computers!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
He stated in the video that this is mostly older machines and definitely older aircraft. So of course they still need floppies for now. But the aircraft when they get new avionics hardware (which happens in major refurbishments) will get units that use USB drives or tablets for software packages because the size of the updates is larger. For textile and milling it would happen if and when they need to replace industrial machinery.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Lol! Just listening to the first couple of seconds of "intro" is enough to know what to expect. Is this an Asylum project?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
He stated in the video that this is mostly older machines and definitely older aircraft. So of course they still need floppies for now. But the aircraft when they get new avionics hardware (which happens in major refurbishments) will get units that use USB drives or tablets for software packages because the size of the updates is larger. For textile and milling it would happen if and when they need to replace industrial machinery.
which has not happened for over 20 years.. as he stated

Shadow Mann

Staff member
just STOP trying to argue man

the evidence is in the video! do you think people just make stuff up just to make a video?

he is doing a thriving business. people are sending him old floppys all the time for him to reuse and sell and he stated that most of his demand are from the airlines and the textile and milling industries

this is the way of reality; corporations do not and will not spend any additional money unless they absolutely have to. they will fly those planes until they will no longer fly and the FAA makes them park them and upgrade. and then the industry lobbyist may still get the Govt to not make them change out the computers!
Dude, you sure have gotten a snotty attitude around here. LMAO! Having a differing opinion triggers you? I have my opinions and experience with life and tech, and you have yours. If somebody else's opinions differ from yours, then they differ, it certainly does not make them stupid or clueless. Stupid and clueless is not considering or being easily triggered by alternative viewpoints. Its why I don't come here much anymore. Sheez.

1. The guy says that 1/3 to 1/5 the planes flying were built 20 years ago. Looking further, I see that he is referring to all flying planes. NO commercial planes that carry passengers are allowed to have antiquated flight avionics which would be updated by floppies. Specifically airliners or commercial prop planes which carry passengers. Planes used for personal use have a different set of rules and are classified separately by the FAA.

2. Its cool that he is collecting these old floppies and finding uses for them, but the reality is that he is serving Luddite companies stuck in the past, using antiquated equipment. Like other specialty suppliers who still sell typewriter ribbons, dot-matrix printer paper and such. Your claim that "corporations do not and will not spend any additional money unless they absolutely have to" is true only when it comes to non-essential systems and equipment. Planes do not fall into that category. A Corporate jet or plane is not going to have avionics that are updated with floppies.

How about losing the ad hominem attacks?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I was going to also point out that the old planes figure certainly does not apply to commercial airlines. The oldest commercial airliners out there are a handful of 737-200s flying short range for a couple of South American Airlines. Also the pandemic shutdowns prompted airlines to retire a lot of their more aged airframes and now they are taking delivery of newer aircraft.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
some younger folks getting absolutely irate over this picture and the way it was posted on FB and other sites

OP stated with it something like "you are not a true fan unless you wore 4 inch flares...and get this pics reference"

I think the pic was pretty clever for back then, and has aged pretty damned well, and screw the youngsters who are humorless :)

clearly it was an amalgamation of several of the posters, but still...

1670384124256.png

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm guessing this is star wars related.

What are people mad about?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It's been busy times for us. We're finally moved into our new house. No longer in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Now in Leeds, England. @Quetesh moved in a week before I did. We moved all our stuff over in a rental van. Took it on the ferry from Belfast to Liverpool. After unloading, I took the van back to Belfast to return it. Then I stayed in Belfast for a week to do final cleaning in our former rental home. That was a lot of work. Eventually I took our personal car over on the ferry, filled to the brim with whatever stuff was left over since the move, and a bunch of leftover cleaning supplies. I got here about a week ago. Of course, plenty to do in the new house as well. Today was spent for a large part hooking up our new internet and home network. Unfortunately it appears that the builders didn't wire up the two Ethernet ports in the living room correctly, so I guess they'll have to come over and fix that at some point. Not that we need those right now, but I want them fixed obviously.

PXL_20221210_205943523.jpg

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I'm guessing this is star wars related.

What are people mad about?
yeah.. you don't recognize the actors?

yes. some are absolutely fuming

actually, i just came back here now to restate how the hate is still growing over this simple BW photo!

it seems the 'word' on FB and other socmed among 'youngsters' that this is some kind of affront against their being millennials and younger Gen X'rs . people like me get the standards "ok boomer" for saying anything positive about the pic

and still others seem to be taking it as a slap in the face because they are fans of the prequels as those movies came out when they were kids. yet others who do not like ANDOR are in some way, twisting it into a negative statement about their not liking ANDOR :)

weird how stuff spins, tangles and grows . one SW's group i am in deleted a post of the picture and the admins made a sep post about how that picture will not be allowed no matter what kind of post is with it!

I just think its a cool photo, the way the photographer had them pose in some semblance of their character's poses from the various original movie posters

and Carrie Fisher's humor; even most likely high on something at the time, she is holding those ashtrays or whatever up to her head to look like Leia's buns

and the humorless Harrison Ford, so funny in is being humorless --and Mark Hamill doing disco/SW's light saber fusion pose-- perfect :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It's been busy times for us. We're finally moved into our new house. No longer in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Now in Leeds, England. @Quetesh moved in a week before I did. We moved all our stuff over in a rental van. Took it on the ferry from Belfast to Liverpool. After unloading, I took the van back to Belfast to return it. Then I stayed in Belfast for a week to do final cleaning in our former rental home. That was a lot of work. Eventually I took our personal car over on the ferry, filled to the brim with whatever stuff was left over since the move, and a bunch of leftover cleaning supplies. I got here about a week ago. Of course, plenty to do in the new house as well. Today was spent for a large part hooking up our new internet and home network. Unfortunately it appears that the builders didn't wire up the two Ethernet ports in the living room correctly, so I guess they'll have to come over and fix that at some point. Not that we need those right now, but I want them fixed obviously.

View attachment 35723
hope you guys are not involved in one of those 'estates' that is rationing natural gas to help their residents save on heating costs?

got to love heavy handed "help"

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
hope you guys are not involved in one of those 'estates' that is rationing natural gas to help their residents save on heating costs?

got to love heavy handed "help"
Not as far as I'm aware.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
yeah.. you don't recognize the actors?

yes. some are absolutely fuming

actually, i just came back here now to restate how the hate is still growing over this simple BW photo!

it seems the 'word' on FB and other socmed among 'youngsters' that this is some kind of affront against their being millennials and younger Gen X'rs . people like me get the standards "ok boomer" for saying anything positive about the pic

and still others seem to be taking it as a slap in the face because they are fans of the prequels as those movies came out when they were kids. yet others who do not like ANDOR are in some way, twisting it into a negative statement about their not liking ANDOR :)

weird how stuff spins, tangles and grows . one SW's group i am in deleted a post of the picture and the admins made a sep post about how that picture will not be allowed no matter what kind of post is with it!

I just think its a cool photo, the way the photographer had them pose in some semblance of their character's poses from the various original movie posters

and Carrie Fisher's humor; even most likely high on something at the time, she is holding those ashtrays or whatever up to her head to look like Leia's buns

and the humorless Harrison Ford, so funny in is being humorless --and Mark Hamill doing disco/SW's light saber fusion pose-- perfect :)
I still don't get what anyone is upset about.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I still don't get what anyone is upset about.
From what i can tell ageism- reverse ageism nonsense

specifically on andor, again, from what i can tell, younger viewers who were not yet born when the SWs first came out, do not like it when any older viewers, like me at 11 yrs old was sitting in the theater in may of 77, tries to say anything about Andor

they resent us as being 'old' as a fan and think we are trying to tell them why and or how they should be 'appreciating andor. i mean, i am not trying to do that

maybe cause there is nothing 'woke' in andor so the younger ppl have nothing to relate to in it? :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
What does the picture have to do with Andor? When was that picture even taken? Is it a real picture or is it photoshopped together?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
What does the picture have to do with Andor? When was that picture even taken? Is it a real picture or is it photoshopped together?
other than its star wars? nothing to do with andor

why is everyone so in doubt with reality simply because technology advances?

this was a 'promo' shot or whatever it was agents and film studios used to commission done by the dozens or more to promote a film. same with music and new albums back in the day before the internet or even "more than 3 tv station" TV. when everything was done in print media- papers and magazines for the public and the insiders-- > it all needed a constant feed of articles and photos to keep the presses running