DEFIANCE game and TV show - sink or swim?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I heard 100mill, for both..............

Both what? Defiance cost over $150 million. There are many references, but the Wall Street Journal should be sufficient:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/16/d...ll-it-hold-your-attention-for-a-whole-season/

Capture.png

http://live.wsj.com/video/syfy-take...7E.html#!6128A1D2-55F8-4526-B074-82848B8D297E

The game alone cost $70 million.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Both what? Defiance cost over $150 million. There are many references, but the Wall Street Journal should be sufficient:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/16/d...ll-it-hold-your-attention-for-a-whole-season/

View attachment 28220
http://live.wsj.com/video/syfy-take...7E.html#!6128A1D2-55F8-4526-B074-82848B8D297E

The game alone cost $70 million.

They spent $70 million and worked on the game for 5 years and it's mediocre at best? :icon_e_surprised: How does that happen? It's not like they don't have some really good post apocalyptic games to use as templates for this one.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
You have ignored the gaming side of this venture. Trion has spent more on the game than the show, and the pricetag of the whole deal is already over $150 million. Do you have the figures for SGU? How did you make this comparison? The ratings snip you are showing also includes the new timeshifted version of the ratings. But the numbers show that this show is STEADILY losing ratings with the subsequent episodes getting lower than the previous. In SGU wew saw brief spikes. Let's see if this happens with Defiance. Going by your spreadsheet example, this show is doing worse than SGU.

How do you figure that? The only time SGU's ratings were more than Defiance was when SGU was 2.447 and the recorded value for Defiance was 2.4. All of the other ratings have been higher for Defiance. Both columns are Live Plus Same Day. The budget for SGU was $3 million per episode or $120 million for two seasons. Initial set construction probably added several million to the $120 million total.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How do you figure that? The only time SGU's ratings were more than Defiance was when SGU was 2.447 and the recorded value for Defiance was 2.4. All of the other ratings have been higher for Defiance. Both columns are Live Plus Same Day. The budget for SGU was $3 million per episode or $120 million for two seasons. Initial set construction probably added several million to the $120 million total.

The numbers are bigger because now they include timeshifted data. But plot the numbers VISUALLY on a chart and you will see the trajectory is lower than SGU proportionally speaking. Not only that, but Syfy was paying a larger percentage of the total cost of the show and it's production for SGU than it is for Defiance, where Trion is footing much of it with Syfy.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
The numbers are bigger because now they include timeshifted data. But plot the numbers VISUALLY on a chart and you will see the trajectory is lower than SGU proportionally speaking. Not only that, but Syfy was paying a larger percentage of the total cost of the show and it's production for SGU than it is for Defiance, where Trion is footing much of it with Syfy.

Bullshit, both columns are live plus same day. The fact that you cannot understand this simple idea explains much of other behavior in the forum. Low intelligence and poor socialization, indeed.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Bullshit, both columns are live plus same day. The fact that you cannot understand this simple idea explains much of other behavior in the forum. Low intelligence and poor socialization, indeed.

You are simply not qualified to make that statement to anyone here. :) You have absolutely no social skill at all. You cannot have what your parents were unable to give you. And again, if you have the ability to use the very simple charting tool in Excel, you can map the trajectory of the ratings numbers you have collected and see clearly that this show is declining in viewership at a steadier, faster rate than SGU with no spikes during the same time interval.

Do I have to do this for you? :GFbitchplease:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Alas if our ratings source is TV by the Numbers the numbers are indeed Live+SD. That however does not change a trajectory that has seen it lose 650,000 viewers in 4 weeks.

One does wonder if investing the amount they did to get a 2.15 with a .8 demo was worth it. For example, they get a 1.3 or more with a .5 demo on Warehouse 13 which costs a small fraction of what Defiance does.

And yes the renewal for it is already in. When it is THAT quick one can't help but think it was pre-committed.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Alas if our ratings source is TV by the Numbers the numbers are indeed Live+SD. That however does not change a trajectory that has seen it lose 650,000 viewers in 4 weeks.

One does wonder if investing the amount they did to get a 2.15 with a .8 demo was worth it. For example, they get a 1.3 or more with a .5 demo on Warehouse 13 which costs a small fraction of what Defiance does.

And yes the renewal for it is already in. When it is THAT quick one can't help but think it was pre-committed.

That is what I was trying to say. SGU's trajectory was riddled with spikes and upticks. Not so for Defiance, which is showing a steady drop with no upticks at all. The game side of this venture is directly tied to the show and costs are shared and simultaneous. I do not see growth here on the show ratings or the popularity of the game.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
You are simply not qualified to make that statement to anyone here. :) You have absolutely no social skill at all. You cannot have what your parents were unable to give you. And again, if you have the ability to use the very simple charting tool in Excel, you can map the trajectory of the ratings numbers you have collected and see clearly that this show is declining in viewership at a steadier, faster rate than SGU with no spikes during the same time interval.

Do I have to do this for you? :GFbitchplease:

Low Intelligence and Poorly Socialized:

The upticks in SGU ratings did not take place until episode 8 (with the exception of the tiny uptick with episode 3), and there have simply not been enough episodes of Defiance to establish a trend:
Untitled.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Low Intelligence and Poorly Socialized:

The upticks in SGU ratings did not take place until episode 8 (with the exception of the tiny uptick with episode 3), and there have simply not been enough episodes of Defiance to establish a trend:
View attachment 28223

MUCH better...thank you. Now, my prediction is that the trajectory of Defiance will continue at a declining rate with NO upticks until the final episode of the season (maybe). True, the numbers are higher than SGU on this scale, but it will take no more than the second half of THIS season for them to drop to those levels and lower. But this remains to be seen. Thank you for posting the visual chart. They are far more useful than just the numbers.

And again, you are in no position to judge the intelligence or socialization of others. Your uncouth and unrefined blurtings are evidence of that. :)
--- merged: May 13, 2013 at 12:27 AM ---
BTW, are you actually trying to defend the show? If so...you would be it's first real advocate here. I plan to watch every episode and predict it's ratings and it's long term fate like i did for SGU because it is new and different (if shitty). I am starting to love to hate it. It will be interesting to see who is on target with the predictions. You have a Crystal Ball for the show, Jim...but then so does Shavedape and he feels what I feel for the show I think. Lets watch and see.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

:McKayrolleyes::McKayrolleyes::McKayrolleyes:

We're ostensibly halfway through the first season already. There is an established trend and it started with the premiere episode. Deny reality all you want but it won't change the fact that the numbers clearly show the ratings dropping.

trend

/trend/

Noun
A general direction in which something is developing or changing.

Merriam-Webster

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

We're ostensibly halfway through the first season already. There is an established trend and it started with the premiere episode. Deny reality all you want but it won't change the fact that the numbers clearly show the ratings dropping.

trend

/trend/

Noun

Merriam-Webster

EXACTLY. And they are steadily dropping, unlike SGU where there were spikes. Just watching this show and playing the game allows me to make an educated prediction that the decline will remain steady with no spikes. There is nothing in this show to make viewers suddenly want to tune in (like there was in SGU with appearances from Daniel and McKay and Sam and Jack). I dont need to wait until the season is over to make this prediction. I have the game, and I am watching this show, even if just to watch it crash. It will get a second, embarrassing season and by the time season one is over they will be talking cancellation. With the second season in the can, they can cancel it as early as the first half of season two.

This show, unlike SGU, has no fanbase other than the gamer base which is not really in love with the game.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
EXACTLY. And they are steadily dropping, unlike SGU where there were spikes. Just watching this show and playing the game allows me to make an educated prediction that the decline will remain steady with no spikes. There is nothing in this show to make viewers suddenly want to tune in (like there was in SGU with appearances from Daniel and McKay and Sam and Jack). I dont need to wait until the season is over to make this prediction. I have the game, and I am watching this show, even if just to watch it crash. It will get a second, embarrassing season and by the time season one is over they will be talking cancellation. With the second season in the can, they can cancel it as early as the first half of season two.

This show, unlike SGU, has no fanbase other than the gamer base which is not really in love with the game.

Exactly. This show doesn't have a fanbase from a previous connection to lean on like SGU did. It's starting from the ground up and as we see that isn't working well at all.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

trend

/trend/

Noun

Merriam-Webster

Unless the season is only 10 episodes long, we have not reached the halfway point. Before you jabber about a trend, I would like to see p-values.
--- merged: May 13, 2013 at 5:26 PM ---
It has been renewed:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a480570/defiance-renewed-for-second-season-by-syfy.html

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
We knew it was going to be renewed, what we did not know was wether it was "set in stone" or just had ridiculously low markers to make. My guess is if it cleared 2 mill for the first 4 eps it would have made it, much like SGU.

As for trend, I'm with Jim on this one, I just don't think we have enough data to call it yet. I don't think we need much more mind you, just a few eps more.
Also, one thing to bear in mind here is that neither the game, nor the show are "stand alone", the "defiance project" has multiple potential income streams besides just the show and the game.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Unless the season is only 10 episodes long, we have not reached the halfway point. Before you jabber about a trend, I would like to see p-values.
It has been renewed:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a480570/defiance-renewed-for-second-season-by-syfy.html

It was NOT "renewed", it was simply signed off. They got the two seasons from the gate, as I said earlier. The ratings and response of this show do not warrant renewal. And of course, you can wait until your p-numbers to make your prediction (you arent big on predictions :)). But Im calling it now:

1. The trend will be a continued, steady decline with no upticks.
  2. By the end of Season One, the show will be swirling in the toilet.
  3. Season 2 will have lackluster premiere numbers.
  4. Sometime around episode 4 of Season 2 (or before), rumors will fly about cancellation.
  5. The show will be cancelled before all Season 2 has aired.
Lets see if this plays out like that. I bet it will, or something similar.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It has been renewed:

I said we are "ostensibly halfway" through season one, which we are since this season is listed as only having 12 episodes. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defiance_(TV_series) ) And the first two episodes were the series premiere. We are, for all intents and purposes, halfway to the end of the first season. If you want to quibble about being on the lee side of the 6th episode so be it. It's too trivial to waste time arguing over.

Also, we need to remember that when making comparisons, SGU had 20 episodes per season whereas DEFIANCE only has 12/13 episodes per season. Granted, we can still chart the downward spiral but we need to keep in mind that SGU had more chances to repair the damage than DEFIANCE has.

And yes, it was "renewed" which is a fraudulent way of stating that the show had a guarantee two season run from the get go. This is so patently obvious that to state otherwise is to be delusional. Nothing was legitimately renewed here, rather, the marketing department is simply doing their job.