DEFIANCE game and TV show - sink or swim?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
1.98 million for the most recent episode. Nope, no ratings trend happening here. :rolleye0014::anim_59:

Who would've thought this show would be trendy.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
--- merged: May 15, 2013 at 11:13 AM ---
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your ratings predictions. I, too, think the numbers won't drop lower than what you've listed within season 1. They may even level out and remain at a certain percentage, but in the long run that number simply won't be enough to maintain the production values necessary to keep this pig alive. It is live action so that is costly, plus the cast is rather large. Plus there's the cost of not just regular sets but location shooting for every episode. Plus there is the cost of make up and costuming, which gets to be a bit involved since there are numerous alien species that have to be "done up" each episode. Plus there's the cost of the SFX and the CGI in every episode.

So even if DEFIANCE posts numbers around 2 million for this season and the next it will end up being cost prohibitive to produce. And as loss leaders go this is a hell of a lot of money to lose just to get people to watch SyFy or buy the game. (Wasn't the number $70 million mentioned as the cost to develop the game? That's no small change.)
--- merged: May 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM ---

I agree with all of what you said, but just have to point out how truly ridiculous the vinyl-spinning hipster alien teen boy is. They can't honestly expect us to believe that an alien who came from halfway across the galaxy (they made mention of it in this episode) would look human and would act human, etc. Plus the fact that they had him play The Cure, which matches his emo look, was just so damn lame! :facepalm:

I'm thinking there has to be some sort of human retro-fitting that they did for the aliens when they arrived here, or something like that, because there's just no other rationale for having these aliens act and look human. But alas, we have to wait to find out what the back story is, which as I've said before, is this shows Achilles heel.

If not, then I am sure they can "retcon" it (is that the right term?) later

On the kid and the Cure--I was thinking similarly to you with the music and the Emo look. I am waiting for them to have the "mob like, Tony Soprano dude" financially back a cover band of Marilyn Manson as a fav of the Castian race.

And also--I mean it is such a cheap shot rip-off I guess we just didn't see it (?) This Castian look is such a straight away rip of the "humanized" wraith from SGA--it is such a lazy and obvious thing to do it just blew by.

And to stay on point--if they insist on using "old Earth /USA" items like vehicles and music then I insist they use the items which are new (or newer) to us= new cars, CD's, IPODS and other electronic music-you will have a hard time finding vinyl at a Goodwill store now let alone after an alien invasion and catastrophic war...

And-the whole tone of this ep just got further "downhill" like I said, their obvious try at creating a Starbuck like character (or any other famous sci fi female character that would fit) and just the --I am going to use it though I don't know if it fits best--Obtuseness of the ep was just way weird--wasn't it?
:icon_e_confused:

Again-I feel it is all an appeal to the young demographic and to hell with any sci fi fan over 35--IMO-that is their model....

heisenberg

Earl Grey
[quote]In comparison Stargate Universe also had high ratings during the first half of the first season

Episode 1: Air part 1 ---- 2.34 million
Episode 2: Air part 2 ---- 2.34 million (no change)
Episode 3: Air part 3 ---- 2.44 million (up 4.2 percent)

Episode 4: Darkness --- 2.10 million (down 14 percent)
Episode 5: Light --------- 2.01 million (down 4.3 percent)
Episode 6: Water -------- 1.97 million (down 2 percent)
Episode 7: Earth -------- 1.62 million (down 17.7 percent)
Episode 8: Time --------- 1.8 million (up 11 percent) ,,,,,,,,, from Gateworld.com

-------------- As near as I can tell Defiance is following the same ratings pattern ------------

Episode 1: Pilot ---------------------- 2.72 million
Episode 2: Down in the ground -- 2.4 million (down 17.8 percent)
Episode 3: Devil in Dark ----------- 2.28 million (down 5 percent)
Episode 4: Well Respected Man - 2.15 million (down 5.7 percent)

During the first 5 episodes of SGU viewership went from 2.34 million down to 2.01 million (-14.1 percent)
During the first 4 episodes of Defiance viewership has gone down from 2.72 million to 2.15 million (-21 percent)

As you can see, the decline in Defiance viewership is actually more severe than SGU at the same juncture. I have some theories about why this is happening, but won't go into them here. Needless to say, Syfy leadership has to be somewhat wary of these new numbers.
[/QUOTE]

http://forums.syfy.com/index.php?showtopic=2362770#entry7067569

Worth posting.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Worth posting.[/quote]
MockingbirdGirl

• bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 14,083 posts
Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:22 PM
TwiceWise, on 08 May 2013 - 14:14, said:
snapback.png

As you can see, the decline in Defiance viewership is actually more severe than SGU at the same juncture.
----

Except, of course, that it is the ratings in the 18-49 demo that really matter, not the total viewers. A side by side comparison of those numbers would be much more informative.

Either way, though, Defiance will get the same shake as every other show: if enough people watch to offset the production costs, it will be renewed. If not, it will end after this season, and Syfy will revert to their more successful 'soft' sci-fi programming model.

MockingbirdGirl is wrong in that she thinks this show will get the axe after one season (if failing in the ratings -- which it's well on its way to do). It's beyond obvious that the fix is in for multiple "seasons". It's already been announced that it's been "renewed" for season 2, duh! This way the producers can claim it's a success and use the two seasons as proof of that. You don't have to be a marketing major to figure out this con. Again, duh! :anim_59:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Worth posting.

MockingbirdGirl is wrong in that she thinks this show will get the axe after one season (if failing in the ratings -- which it's well on its way to do). It's beyond obvious that the fix is in for multiple "seasons". It's already been announced that it's been "renewed" for season 2, duh! This way the producers can claim it's a success and use the two seasons as proof of that. You don't have to be a marketing major to figure out this con. Again, duh! :anim_59:

Its like they did for SGU except less concealed. :) With SGU, it was concealed that Brad had secured two seasons, but Craig Engler outed him with Brad's long crooked finger of blame was pointed at Syfy. This time, Trion and Syfy are being much less clandestine, announcing a faux "renewal" after only 4 episodes, during a down ratings trend. The same spin from Syfy is there though, calling this show "Syfy's new hit show" and all. :anim_59: These are good times for contract Magicians I would imagine...they could probably make lots more people seriously believe they are doing ACTUAL magic. :happy0007:

Agreed also on MockingbirdGirl. She is among the legions who don't bother looking behind the scenes by way of Trion's Defiance forums. Here is an example:

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?61953-I-m-I-the-only-one

Capture.png

The gamers playing Defiance are not liking this show very much, and from what I gather, the watchers of the show are not playing the game much. All the press spin is not to be trusted at all. Syfy spun the hell out of SGU even when it was already swirling down the toilet. With this one, they arent even trying to hide the decline. There is no fanbase to squee for it, no websites dedicated to it so that negative messages can be censored, and none of the producers have a blog we can go to and make comments or ask questions.

What exactly are they expecting?
--- merged: May 15, 2013 at 6:03 PM ---
What theories is he talking about? There's no need for theories to explain the decline of this bullshit. It sucks, period. :icon_lol:

Exactomundo. It simply sucks...Im not hating on the show, I just dont like it. But Im definitely moving to "hater" because I have committed to watching every episode until cancellation. :anim_22:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Worth posting.[/quote]

Yeah, but then look at what she said (Miss Cheerleader Mockingbird) you see,I was correct as were others, al syfy is concerned about is the young demographic, that have forgotten the older stalwart sci fi fans--those of us who cut our teeth on STTOS, UFO,SPACE 1999, etc,etc...

MockingbirdGirl

• bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 14,084 posts
TwiceWise, on 08 May 2013 - 16:12, said:
snapback.png
As you can see, the decline in Defiance viewership is actually more severe than SGU at the same juncture.
----

Except, of course, that it is the ratings in the 18-49 demo that really matter, not the total viewers. A side by side comparison of those numbers would be much more informative.

Either way, though, Defiance will get the same shake as every other show: if enough people watch to offset the production costs, it will be renewed. If not, it will end after this season, and Syfy will revert to their more successful 'soft' sci-fi programming model.

OOPS SORRY! Didn't see where someone else qtd' her already. And, by the way, do you also notice the veiled threats of "watch this or else"? We will get "soft programming" back!! :crying-028:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Yeah, but then look at what she said (Miss Cheerleader Mockingbird) you see,I was correct as were others, al syfy is concerned about is the young demographic, that have forgotten the older stalwart sci fi fans--those of us who cut our teeth on STTOS, UFO,SPACE 1999, etc,etc...

MockingbirdGirl

• bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 14,084 posts

snapback.png
----

OOPS SORRY! Didn't see where someone else qtd' her already. And, by the way, do you also notice the veiled threats of "watch this or else"? We will get "soft programming" back!! :crying-028:

Aint that nuthin? AndI damn near choked on my salad when I read somebody's message on another board calling Defiance "hard science fiction like Stargate Universe" :eek-new: :icon_e_surprised: :anim_59: :happy0007:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

MockingbirdGirl

• bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 14,084 posts

snapback.png
----

Aint that nuthin? AndI damn near choked on my salad when I read somebody's message on another board calling Defiance "hard science fiction like Stargate Universe" :eek-new: :icon_e_surprised: :anim_59: :happy0007:

What does the bolded mean? Are you mockingbird girl? :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What does the bolded mean? Are you mockingbird girl? :rolleye0014:

Foo, does it LOOK like Im MockingbirdGirl? :anim_59: :P Hell nah....

I was on a different forum and saw a poster claim that Defiance was "hard science fiction", and compared it to Stargate Universe (to imply he thought of that as hard science fiction as well). :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Foo, does it LOOK like Im MockingbirdGirl? :anim_59: :P Hell nah....

I was on a different forum and saw a poster claim that Defiance was "hard science fiction", and compared it to Stargate Universe (to imply he thought of that as hard science fiction as well). :)

Oh...:D

I think the only reason I tune in to DEFIANCE is so that I can keep up with the conversation here

that

and by 9pm it is dark and I am in from out doing the gardening and all of that truly fun stuff :joy:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I think the only reason I tune in to DEFIANCE is so that I can keep up with the conversation here

that

and by 9pm it is dark and I am in from out doing the gardening and all of that truly fun stuff :joy:

I bring it up on demand when I can't sleep. Drops me like a log.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

that

I soooo want that setup. :) I could do a hydroponic version of it, but my cats would nibble. :( I am watching it till it dies, because its "new" and it feels like bashing SGU again (which was fun :)). This "transmedia" gig they are trying to create...there might be others. Im gonna watch it all the way till cancellation.

In a couple of hours, I will break this show into it's own subforum. :)
--- merged: May 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM ---
I bring it up on demand when I can't sleep. Drops me like a log.

For me, it wants me to do something intelligent like play a game of chess or read something deep. I feel intellectually impaired after watching this show. :bashtechie:

B

Backstep

MockingbirdGirl
is wrong in that she thinks this show will get the axe after one season (if failing in the ratings -- which it's well on its way to do). It's beyond obvious that the fix is in for multiple "seasons". It's already been announced that it's been "renewed" for season 2, duh! This way the producers can claim it's a success and use the two seasons as proof of that. You don't have to be a marketing major to figure out this con. Again, duh! :anim_59:

This is par for the course with MBG, When SGU was first starting to fail and the talk turned to money per episode MBG ad for years claimed wrestling paid for 'other' shows on the network. The rabid SGU fans asked where was the financial support from the profits of wrestling for season 3 of SGU, the forms had a major scrub of any mention of wrestling pays for shows. MBG even tried to denial she ever said the network would or could use money from on show to prop up another show till i posted a screen cap of her saying just that :shep_lol: which was quickly scrubed.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is par for the course with MBG, When SGU was first starting to fail and the talk turned to money per episode MBG ad for years claimed wrestling paid for 'other' shows on the network. The rabid SGU fans asked where was the financial support from the profits of wrestling for season 3 of SGU, the forms had a major scrub of any mention of wrestling pays for shows. MBG even tried to denial she ever said the network would or could use money from on show to prop up another show till i posted a screen cap of her saying just that :shep_lol: which was quickly scrubed.

These fanbois and fangurls who really love a show will contort and twist and deny and do whatever they have to in order to see a positive light on a turd show. I have not been over to Syfy forums lately, and I was unfamiliar with MBG.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You can tell when a show has the stench of fail, the rabid fans start the 'need to add the live+ 3-7 numbers to inflate the numbers of viewers'.

Oh, and the Facebook followers suddenly jump by thousands. :anim_59:. The buzzards will start circling about the time when the Save Defiance group is formed around the beginning of Season 2 when they will be considering cancelling it. :).

cancelbear.jpg

B

Backstep

These fanbois and fangurls who really love a show will contort and twist and deny and do whatever they have to in order to see a positive light on a turd show. I have not been over to Syfy forums lately, and I was unfamiliar with MBG.

I've not been to syfy forms in a long time simply because of the MODs. MBG is an arrogant condescending and full of snark to anyone with a different opinion. sfi-girl uses intimidation, thinly veiled threats to members who she "thinks" are the one(s) she dislikes. bryangate his actions on the forms were the same as the MODS at GW, but would always point and say GW was worse, defend the actions of the mods with saying"she thought you were someone else" :facepalm:

When the site MODS are worse than the most abusive members people leave. By looking at who is posting on syfy it is the same 10 people, when before SGU it was a couple hundred. The MODS seem to be employees or told to defend syfy shows at all costs

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've not been to syfy forms in a long time simply because of the MODs. MBG is an arrogant condescending and full of snark to anyone with a different opinion. sfi-girl uses intimidation, thinly veiled threats to members who she "thinks" are the one(s) she dislikes. bryangate his actions on the forms were the same as the MODS at GW, but would always point and say GW was worse, defend the actions of the mods with saying"she thought you were someone else" :facepalm:

When the site MODS are worse than the most abusive members people leave. By looking at who is posting on syfy it is the same 10 people, when before SGU it was a couple hundred. The MODS seem to be employees or told to defend syfy shows at all costs

Explains why he does not come here anymore. :(