Anything goes 1

S

Stonelesscutter

I was surfing the web and I came across this opinion piece.

Yep, I'm in full agreement with this. If things keep going in this direction, I think that the world's richest political party will become the world's richest political party without any power to speak of.

I've read the text you quoted, but I don't comprehend your statement in relation to it.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I've read the text you quoted, but I don't comprehend your statement in relation to it.

By chosing the MP talked about in the text the Centre Party would thus start to move in an ideological direction that could be considered political suicide (current polls actually show the party below the 4% threshold required to pass in order to recieve seats in parliament). And therefore, next election I think we could see the Centre Party, which is the richest political in the world due to the sale of several papers the party owned a few years ago, and thus the party would become the worlds richest political party without any power at all.

S

Stonelesscutter

By chosing the MP talked about in the text the Centre Party would thus start to move in an ideological direction that could be considered political suicide (current polls actually show the party below the 4% threshold required to pass in order to recieve seats in parliament). And therefore, next election I think we could see the Centre Party, which is the richest political in the world due to the sale of several papers the party owned a few years ago, and thus the party would become the worlds richest political party without any power at all.

I see. Then what will they do with all their money? :)

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I see. Then what will they do with all their money? :)

I dunno, start an advertising agency perhaps? I mean it wouldn't so far fetched considering that the only difference from an ad agency and a political party is that in addition to spinning the news and lying on behalf of big corporations, a political party also has to make time to royally frak up an entire country on behalf of big corporations. ;)

S

Stonelesscutter

I dunno, start an advertising agency perhaps? I mean it wouldn't so far fetched considering that the only difference from an ad agency and a political party is that in addition to spinning the news and lying on behalf of big corporations, a political party also has to make time to royally frak up an entire country on behalf of big corporations. ;)

Indeed. Basically that would be taking it easy for them. :) Less worries, same income.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
If I throw a pillow case filled with $2000 in pennies through someone's living room window, have I technically committed a crime since the pennies exceed the cost of damages?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
If I throw a pillow case filled with $2000 in pennies through someone's living room window, have I technically committed a crime since the pennies exceed the cost of damages?
Yes

Bluce Ree

Willful destruction of personal property.

Yeah, but I destroyed it with cash that more than covers the damages. Willful destruction of property usually involves a fine to cover damages. What would happen in this case?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Willful destruction of personal property.

I'm no lawyer, but yeah, even if you are "theoreticly" paying for it along the way,it's still destruction of personal property. Someone could come in and destroy my entire DVD collection and leave the money to replace it sure, but what if your DVD's or whatever were signed, what if they had some other "non tangable" connection?

Bluce Ree

I'm no lawyer, but yeah, even if you are "theoreticly" paying for it along the way,it's still destruction of personal property. Someone could come in and destroy my entire DVD collection and leave the money to replace it sure, but what if your DVD's or whatever were signed, what if they had some other "non tangable" connection?

You're going beyond the scope of the question. I didn't ask if I toss $2000 in pennies through a window and destroy a priceless Ming vase and a Faberge Egg in the process. Just the broken window. :D

B

Backstep

Yeah, but I destroyed it with cash that more than covers the damages. Willful destruction of property usually involves a fine to cover damages. What would happen in this case?

The value of the object being thrown through the window does not matter, the penny will be confiscated as evidence. The choice of a bag of pennys is odd, the sheer weight of the bag shows a premeditated attack. The crime is still willful destruction of property, a lawyer for the plaintiff can argue the pennys are forfeit and can seek further monetary damages for the replacement of damaged done to their property.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The value of the object being thrown through the window does not matter, the penny will be confiscated as evidence. The choice of a bag of pennys is odd, the sheer weight of the bag shows a premeditated attack. The crime is still willful destruction of property, a lawyer for the plaintiff can argue the pennys are forfeit and can seek further monetary damages for the replacement of damaged done to their property.
Yes

Bluce Ree

That's a good answer. However, a lawyer for the defendant would argue that the object thrown through the window was actual currency and does not have an "estimated" value but a value of exactly $2000 and more than sufficiently covers the damages.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You're going beyond the scope of the question. I didn't ask if I toss $2000 in pennies through a window and destroy a priceless Ming vase and a Faberge Egg in the process. Just the broken window. :D

No I'm not, this is very much the idea of "punative" damages. If you "willfully and with intent" smash my window, it does not matter if you pay for it on the way through. I could break every bone in your body (well, no I couldn't, you would probably kick my ass :P) and then leave all the money required for your medical/rehab bills, would I be "innocent"??

It's not just dealing with the "results" of the act that matter, it's the intent, and the intent is to harm someone, somehow.

Bluce Ree

No I'm not, this is very much the idea of "punative" damages. If you "willfully and with intent" smash my window, it does not matter if you pay for it on the way through. I could break every bone in your body (well, no I couldn't, you would probably kick my ass :P) and then leave all the money required for your medical/rehab bills, would I be "innocent"??

It's not just dealing with the "results" of the act that matter, it's the intent, and the intent is to harm someone, somehow.

Now you're you're mixing assault and bodily harm with just throwing pennies through a window. :icon_lol:

The question only asks about the damage to the window, nothing else. The pennies land safely on the couch and don't break anything else. :D

B

Backstep

That's a good answer. However, a lawyer for the defendant would argue that the object thrown through the window was actual currency and does not have an "estimated" value but a value of exactly $2000 and more than sufficiently covers the damages.

What it comes down to are points of law, children playing ball and the ball comes through your window is considered an accident, while children throwing rocks at your window is a crime.

Lets take your point, I throw a rock with enough money in an envelope to cover the damage to your window, it's 2pm on a nice summer day with the sun shining, Now i do the same but it's the middle of winter, a blizzard raging out and it's 2am. Still the same? I payed for the cost of the window both times attached to the rock.