Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
who do mattel and hasbro hold the license from then?

no, lucasarts/disney owns pretty much all of it outright

many of the games, for example, were developed by lucasarts

LArts and Disney own it all or they publish it or license it. you cant issue a license if you don't own what it is you are licensing to begin with. if they didn't own it and then licensed anyhow, then it would be like selling a license to ppl to use your neighbors car-which you do not own

they stole the original works of all of those writers of the novels and comic books and other material (not directly produced by lucasarts) the whole time along.

the little guys were paid a pttance and surrendered their rights to the material once they got lucasarts blessing to crerate the material

then lucas sold out (btw--the cry baby fans need to stop complaining about "disney is destroying lucas' vision" fuck him! he sold out and was paid handsomely, he deserves to not have any say in anything any longer--he washed his hands) to disney. all of lucas arts produced/made stuff ( i am guessing though it is not talked about, disney owns INDIANA JONES now as well ?) as well as all of the stuff lucas 'blessed' into EU 'canon'

then disney ditched all of that and put it into LEGENDS

Now they take from LEGENDS what they want when they want to. it is undeniable that they have taken several characters and ideas from LEGENDS. characters and ideas that were originally made by ppl who are now little known/unknown.

this is a lazy and uncreative way to make entertainment. they have enough material--written by someone else now uncredited--that they now own outright, to bring into canon when they want to with a few tweeks to fit their stories

i don't know how else to get across to you that I believe this to be a shit way to do business- idk, maybe the original writers of this LEGENDS stuff do get some on screen credit at the end of the film? doubt they get any more money though

You clearly do not understand how it works. Licensing does not give anyone ownership of a product, it only allows other producers to use elements of the licensed IP. If you create a product like say...a board game, and you want to make the game about The Expanse or other show, you request a license from The Expanse showrunners, you lay out how the license will be used, a price or other arrangement (like percentages) is negotiated, and the branded game gets made. The issuer of the license does NOT own the game. If they revoke the license, the game still belongs to it's creator.

In Star Wars, the EU and everything fans created for it belong to those creators who created these things. The unlicensed ones cannot protect their content at all, and Disney can take what they want from it. The licensed authors and creators still own the rights to their own content, but they cannot monetize it or sell anything related to it without a new license.Even George Lucas himself who created Star Wars would have to get a license from Disney/Lucasarts to make anything new.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
sw's is not alone on using merchandising to promote its films:

sttmphm.jpg

this is still for sale--$145
s-l640.png

mego-ship-vulcan-7.jpg

or the spock grenadier decanter!!

shopping

and you got to have your corn flakes to start your day before fighting the borg like cpt picard!!
stfccerealcan.jpg

or some tex mex from Del taco!!

stnemdeltaco.jpg

AND DO NOT forget your Klingon happy meal before you go to warp! :)

My nephew had an original BSG lunchbox. from his auntie rac! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is a shocking possiblity...Rey goes back in time and become Shmi Skywalker? That would make her the root of the entire Skywalker clan, and it would explain why Anakin had such a high midichlorian count. But this is RUMOR

Just wow. If this is indeed the plot of Star Wars episode IX, how do you Star Wars fans feel about it? To me, it would feel like I did when I saw emo Soy Spock on Discovery.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This is a shocking possiblity...Rey goes back in time and become Shmi Skywalker? That would make her the root of the entire Skywalker clan, and it would explain why Anakin had such a high midichlorian count. But this is RUMOR

Just wow. If this is indeed the plot of Star Wars episode IX, how do you Star Wars fans feel about it? To me, it would feel like I did when I saw emo Soy Spock on Discovery.

star wars is fantasy not sci fi, so if time travel occurred, it would not only be lazy writing but just would have no fit anywhere in sw's

everything else that has been done/shown has some precedent somewhere in sw's canon (i am NOT getting into what is canon anymore) and has a place. time travel would not

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
star wars is fantasy not sci fi, so if time travel occurred, it would not only be lazy writing but just would have no fit anywhere in sw's

everything else that has been done/shown has some precedent somewhere in sw's canon (i am NOT getting into what is canon anymore) and has a place. time travel would not

I will defer to whatever you know about canon in Star Wars since I don't know it nearly as well as you do. And unlike Star trek, the canon of Star wars DOES extend into the shows, books and games. I dunno, Rey as Shmi? Who knows?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I will defer to whatever you know about canon in Star Wars since I don't know it nearly as well as you do. And unlike Star trek, the canon of Star wars DOES extend into the shows, books and games.

i am going to make this my signature. "overmind one said...."
:)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
watched 2 other vids on this theory- one espousing it, the other debunking (pre debunking ?) it

seems the time travel isn't really time travel like with a machine or gate or slinging around some star but rather Palpaltine's use of the 'world between worlds'. a force powered way of looking remotely into other places or times

this was seen in REBELS (how Ezra saved Ahsoka from Vader)

https://www.inverse.com/article/41856-star-wars-rebels-time-travel-world-voices-canon-easter-eggs

so, i guess, if they did decide to do this in ep 9 it would not be without precedent--sort of

it was never meant to be a actual time travel device, but rather a way of gaining knowledge through a type of remote viewing

ezra sort of broke the rules when he reached his hand in and grabbed Ahsoka. In rebels, we see Palpatine trying to use it to travel-but in real time from place to place not through time

but here is the thing- what would it accomplish? Why would Palpatine send her back to ensure Anakin's birth when he already knows what that got him the first time around?

i mean, i guess they could spin it and make it be whatever they want, but it would truly be asinine

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i am going to make this my signature. "overmind one said...."
:)

The red tagline in your signature is over the top. Please change it. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
what color would you prefer? :)

Something not red. How about black or dark blue, anything that is not loud and in your face. Overall, it is just an inappropriate signature (see your PM). But mostly the red is the problem. Secondly, you have directed it specifically at a member, and that is a problem. I suggest changing it altogether.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Secondly, you have directed it specifically at a member,

you directed to you, yourself by authoring the original post

color changed

portions removed

it is a true statement; not about me, but about SW's canon

here, we'll make it evens - stevens ---

"I will defer to overmind one for anything regarding the canon of Star Trek which only includes that which has appeared on tv series or on screen. with exception to the JJ- verse and nuTrek, of course"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
you directed to you, yourself by authoring the original post

color changed

portions removed

it is a true statement; not about me, but about SW's canon

here, we'll make it evens - stevens ---

"I will defer to overmind one for anything regarding the canon of Star Trek which only includes that which has appeared on tv series or on screen. with exception to the JJ- verse and nuTrek, of course"

By putting that in your signature, you will be displaying it in EVERY post you make, even in non-Star Wars related topics. Check PM again. Common sense should guide you...I don't see why you would not see why it is inappropriate.

EDIT: I will be amending the CCPG to cover this. But I shouldn't have had to. I will also include rules to cover GIANT images in signatures, like singularity used previously.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The only way I can see a time travel story making the slightest bit of sense would be something like Rey discovering the ability to time travel and using it to go back in time to try to prevent Kylo from turning to the dark side of the force. It's dumb but compared to the drivel they shoveled up in The Last Jedi it would be sublime.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The only way I can see a time travel story making the slightest bit of sense would be something like Rey discovering the ability to time travel and using it to go back in time to try to prevent Kylo from turning to the dark side of the force. It's dumb but compared to the drivel they shoveled up in The Last Jedi it would be sublime.

the version i read is positing that Palpaltine will use the 'world between worlds' (as previously shown in REBELS and a sith version of it Vader used in the comic that revealed Palpatine was anakin's creator) to send her back

but as i asked above, i dont see what palp's angle would be

Rey goes back to become Schmi, has Anakin, puts herself in slavery, etc...

Palp's already knows all of this happened and what Anakin's existence did to him, so why repeat?

and this theory supposes that Palpatine is still alive

but even if this happened, it only changes the Skywalker story or repeats it. Palpatine was already well on his way to becoming chancellor and had already put the wheels in motion to create the clone army and ignited the spark for the Separatists before Anakin was born

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
the version i read is positing that Palpaltine will use the 'world between worlds' (as previously shown in REBELS and a sith version of it Vader used in the comic that revealed Palpatine was anakin's creator) to send her back

but as i asked above, i dont see what palp's angle would be

Rey goes back to become Schmi, has Anakin, puts herself in slavery, etc...

Palp's already knows all of this happened and what Anakin's existence did to him, so why repeat?

and this theory supposes that Palpatine is still alive

but even if this happened, it only changes the Skywalker story or repeats it. Palpatine was already well on his way to becoming chancellor and had already put the wheels in motion to create the clone army and ignited the spark for the Separatists before Anakin was born

I agree that is what the rumor is. I just said mine although patently dumb at least makes a little bit of sense.