Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
sw's canon is what it is

it is controlled by those who have the right of ownership of the material

any one can have opinions on it but there is only one set of facts and it is controlled by lucasarts/disney..not you

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Canon

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
this movie, like the others in this trilogy, may be entertaining and I may play a devils advocate for certain parts of it

but, this movie will just be one more excruciating dragging out of the Skywalkers story.

a family that has been more then likely created by and for the use of, the Sith

whether that Sith is Palpatine or Plagueis doesn't matter

hell, maybe JJ will just pull some other character out of the EU (making that character canon as they have done before) and make him or her the puppet master for the boy wonder and his silly princess sister

the story is played out and these films are unnecessary

if we are going to have other non skywalker stories then lets get on with it already

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
How about giving one of your explanations for tracking in hyperspace, and using hyperspace to slice things traveling at sublight in half

i never spoke on any of that, and since they are in movies that i consider unneeded and,overall, dumb, I dont give a damn about hyperspace tracking

but hey, i'll bite a little, since you insist on trying to force me into the corner of being a fan of this movie. even though i have not said one good thing about this film (ep 9) in this thread----

how do they track ships in ST that have gone to warp?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Oh really?
seriously?

this clips/still represent what? about 4-5 minutes TOTAL!

hardly a masterful course of ls training

Luke had a great natural ability in the force--like his father who was created to be so

most of Luke's force abilities-including LS skill, came after the events of ROTJ

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Luke was a bit slow, so he took much longer and needed several weeks with Yoda

on film, Yoda never trained Luke on LS use

and yes, whether or not you approve, the characters in SW's use machines

machines are tech. any tech can be assembled or disassembled by manipulating its components

no Jedi wizard trng needed

plenty of on screen characters--non JEDI or sith-- have used a light saber without any training

Han used one to cut open the Tauntaun

Pre Viszla and other mandolorians used the dark saber

Ezra built and used a ls and then used other ls's he found

Cade Ban used a LS and fought Kenobi with it.

Grievous used several at a time!

formal training--sith or jedi, only gives the user a more refined use of the weapon

anyone can pick up a samurai sword, with no prior trng and manage to cut or kill someone with it, doesn't make them a sword master

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
sw's canon is what it is

it is controlled by those who have the right of ownership of the material

any one can have opinions on it but there is only one set of facts and it is controlled by lucasarts/disney..not you

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Canon

Many SW fans feel this way. The showrunners can do that to Star Wars and the fandom will just adjust while bent over so that they can shove the new crap in easier. Star Trek fans simply turn their backs on the showrunners, because most of us Star Trek fans are more intelligent than Kurtzman and JJ Abrams. Their canon is NOT canon "because they say so". CBS may own the rights to Star Trek, but they do not get to change the canon or attach nonsense to the existing canon.

As far as who really controls Star Wars, I would debate with you on that. The FANS own it. If the fans stop going to see the films, Star Wars will lose money and become much less than what it is today. It won't die because...Disney. But it will no longer be the boxoffice juggernaut it used to be. Arguably, this has already happened, since the MCU has made more than all of Star Wars combined.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
then they are not fans in the same manner as the millions of fans who know these things and where/how to access the info

There are more casual fans like me in the fandom than dedicated fans like you. Just like there are in Star Trek.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
on film, Yoda never trained Luke on LS use

and yes, whether or not you approve, the characters in SW's use machines

machines are tech. any tech can be assembled or disassembled by manipulating its components

I repeat: There is no tech in Star Wars. Machine-ish stuff? Sure. Tech? No. Tech is a practical application of known principles. Kyber crystals are not tech. Many of the giant machines seen in Star Wars do things that defy the laws of known physics. But, it works for Star Wars and I am okay with it.

no Jedi wizard trng needed

plenty of on screen characters--non JEDI or sith-- have used a light saber without any training

Yes, sure anyone could turn one on and swing it around. But what we see Rey do with it is FAR beyond casual use of some nobody. Where did she get training to fight that way?

Han used one to cut open the Tauntaun

Pre Viszla and other mandolorians used the dark saber

Ezra built and used a ls and then used other ls's he found

Cade Ban used a LS and fought Kenobi with it.

Grievous used several at a time!

formal training--sith or jedi, only gives the user a more refined use of the weapon

anyone can pick up a samurai sword, with no prior trng and manage to cut or kill someone with it, doesn't make them a sword master

You are purposely avoiding explaining why Rey can do what she does. Not just the light saber, but her fighting skills, the strength of her Force powers, her piloting capabilities, all of it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This bullshit notion that a SW fan has to go flipping through books and cartoons just to get information

no one "has to do" any of that

BUT if one has questions, as you repeatedly do, then I am simply telling you where the answers can be found

and, another thing

it is now canon "fact" that Palpaltine did indeed case Shmi's pregnancy by manipulating the force as his master taught him to do

so, this is why i said earlier that the whole Skywalker clan from Shmi down, are nothing but pawns of the Sith

This may be coming into play with the apparent ("snore") inclusion of some sort of Palpatine resurrection in ep 9

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
no one "has to do" any of that

BUT if one has questions, as you repeatedly do, then I am simply telling you where the answers can be found

and, another thing

it is now canon "fact" that Palpaltine did indeed case Shmi's pregnancy by manipulating the force as his master taught him to do

so, this is why i said earlier that the whole Skywalker clan from Shmi down, are nothing but pawns of the Sith

This may be coming into play with the apparent ("snore") inclusion of some sort of Palpatine resurrection in ep 9

Okay. So where is this canon talked about? Which game do I have to buy or what book? Maybe I have to buy a ticket to the new Galaxy's Edge area at Disneyland, follow the secret path behind the hidden hedge, open the trapdoor with my special decoder ring, and then use a mirror to read it from a wall? :P

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Not just the light saber, but her fighting skills, the strength of her Force powers, her piloting capabilities, all of it.

piloting abilities? how did Luke learn how to fly a XWING fighter? we saw nothing on screen -and little to nothing in other materials, regarding his flight training?

just as with Ezra Bridger and his abilities as a strong force sensitive, Luke and Rey also are both innately strong as force sensitives with or without trng.

their innate ability to connect to the force is implied to help all of them do the things they do

on her specific fighting abilities? idk, how did Worf learn to use the Bat'leth?

You are purposely avoiding

you are purposely avoiding to acknowledge that I answered your statement regarding "how can someone use a LS without training" in my listing examples from canon (movie and tv shows)

again, Yoda-on screen, never taught Luke any LS skills

and the scene on the Mill Falcon with Ben and Luke? That was not about the light saber. the LS was an object that Ben was using to teach Luke about how to tap into the force

Ben told him to "act on instinct" to "reach out with your feelings". two statements referring the use of innate abilities..not training. again, he was showing him how to use the force,and that trng was minimal

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay. So where is this canon talked about? Which game do I have to buy or what book? Maybe I have to buy a ticket to the new Galaxy's Edge area at Disneyland, follow the secret path behind the hidden hedge, open the trapdoor with my special decoder ring, and then use a mirror to read it from a wall? :P

no need to buy anything. :)

i didn't, i got it all from the inter webs for just the cost of my ISP service

<< this is another example of the lucasarts/disney bringing into canon stuff from legends. you know, so they don't have to think so hard and only need to re organize and 'fine tune' the material others wrote long ago? AKA = "lazy".

they called it all "legends (the EU) and now of been lifting ideas from it for the new trilogy and REBELS, SOLO and Rogue one, hey, its a quicker way to churn stuff out (recycle and save some young screenwriter's brain cells!!!) so why not? >>

again (and again and again and again) i am neutral to highly unimpressed with this new trilogy. i have said it before, but like SOLO, which I have also stated I was not crazy about, I do "get it". I can see what story they are trying to tell based on what has been presented in other format. all of which they have declared canon and all of which is easily found online, for free.

like in this video. you will see where Anakin/DV uses the "world between worlds" to revisit scenes from his past. all the way back to his inception as an embryo.

the world between worlds, what is that, you may ask? well, if one watched REBELS it was introduced there.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
i am glad this is coming out for ONE REASON

hopefully this will put an end to the story of the most dysfunctional family in the universe

i am a fan of the story of star wars in the whole; not a fan of the skywalker saga in specific. never was. even in 77 i never saw Luke as a hero. the character was/is nothing like the hero characters i grew up watching in all of those reruns of old 40's 50's and 60's movies that would play on tv.

Now we know the current line of Skywalkers are nothing but tools in the greater story. Most likely, the new family line (started with Anakin) was even started with Sith shenanigans (Shmi's "he was born with no father" line) by Palpatine or a Darth Plagueis force ghost (DP is rumored to be in this in flashback) action

on Palpatine, can anyone see other reasons for the remnants of the Death Star-presumably DS 2 - to be shown?

I see two--perhaps there is a Palpatine story line in this, and he has somehow in the wreckage, or, the gang is just cruising it for souvenirs

Ian McDiarmid did appear in person on stage at the release of this trailer at SW's-con (or wtf ever it is called)

who knows just what fuckery JJ is about to release now...

How was Luke not a hero?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
How was Luke not a hero?

he was no more a hero then all of the other rebel pilots on the death star run

but everyone gets wrapped up in this hero thing

the better question is "how was Luke even able to be the hero to pilot the xwing that destroyed DS 1 given the fact he had had zero pilot training on the xwing, not to mention zero training in battle tactics?"

as well as the fact that he was put in command of his squad with zero military experience

those are the questions

in the canon anthology FROM A CERTAIN POINT OF VIEW, this is discussed in things like the story "DESERT SON"

-----------
But, now, we know that Luke, Leia, Anakin.. Kylo-- they are ALL nothing more then pawns in the service of the Sith due to the FACT that Palpatine created Anakin for his purposes (destroy the jedi, the sith and then the empire all to pave the way for his (palpatine's) clean restart in whatever shape or form he is apparently coming back in (JJ fuckery)

people are out there who cant accept this (who didn't know this after REVENGE OF THE SITH and the opera scene anyhow?!?) that Palpatine created Anakin. basically his father

they are interpreting the info from darth vader #25 in any way that they can that doesn't shatter the hero status of the skywalkers

knowing this also helps to explain why Anakin,his son and his grandson have turned to the darkside or, at the least, gotten 'darker-ish (in the case of Luke as crotchety old man in ep 8)'

even PAblo Hidalgo-- the "keeper" of what is and what is not SW's canon, agrees

the star wars story is so much bigger then the Skywalkers.. move on

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've never seen Luke Skywalker as being a hero. Its not because he wasn't written as one, its because of a young Mark Hamill.

In Episode IV he struck me as being a whiny, naive, sheltered boy and that initial impression of him stuck with me throughout the entire trilogy. I never bought Hamill as a hero.

I heard someone on TV say years ago that every school kid could relate to Luke Skywalker but they all wanted to be Han Solo. I could never relate to Luke...the bright eyed naif.

I could relate to Solo though, although not the new one, he just doesn't cut it IMO.

Also like Solo said, flying a space ship isn't like dusting crops. But apparently it was enough like dusting crops for Luke to go on the trench run.

Granted, Rey is an awful lot worse though.

He came off like Leave it to Beaver in space in Episode IV. :) I half expected him to say "golly gee!" when he first fired up that lightsaber in Obi Wan's house. But he was pleasant and energetic. Like you said, school kids could relate to Luke, but most everyone wanted to be like Han and some even wanted to be like Darth Vader.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
no need to buy anything. :)

i didn't, i got it all from the inter webs for just the cost of my ISP service

<< this is another example of the lucasarts/disney bringing into canon stuff from legends. you know, so they don't have to think so hard and only need to re organize and 'fine tune' the material others wrote long ago? AKA = "lazy".

they called it all "legends (the EU) and now of been lifting ideas from it for the new trilogy and REBELS, SOLO and Rogue one, hey, its a quicker way to churn stuff out (recycle and save some young screenwriter's brain cells!!!) so why not? >>

again (and again and again and again) i am neutral to highly unimpressed with this new trilogy. i have said it before, but like SOLO, which I have also stated I was not crazy about, I do "get it". I can see what story they are trying to tell based on what has been presented in other format. all of which they have declared canon and all of which is easily found online, for free.

like in this video. you will see where Anakin/DV uses the "world between worlds" to revisit scenes from his past. all the way back to his inception as an embryo.

the world between worlds, what is that, you may ask? well, if one watched REBELS it was introduced there.

They are RETCONNING the story of Star Wars with it's earlier drafts, and you do not see that. They got this from the unpublished script from Lucas and the fans ran away with it in the EU comics. But it is not in the films and both Darth Vader and Siddious are gone. The Star Trek people tried to retcon the Trek story and background like these Star Wars people are doing, and it failed because Star Trek fans will not just accept a retcon as canon unless it was seen in TV canon first. No digging through unpublished scripts or flipping through comic books.

Star Wars is a consumerist franchise. They need for their fans to buy books, toys, games, and of course any products Star Wars branded. This means lettuce, oranges, soup, deodorant, etc. :) They need for people to collect action sets, and to stand outside theaters in lines to see the movies (so they can use that to sell more tickets). Well, the lines are gone. The toys are not selling. The Star Wars brand on iceberg lettuce means nothing since most millennials eat romaine or red leaf or kale. A Rey cosplay outfit has no interest for young boys. I love Star Wars, but it feels different since Episode VII and after. The only new film I really loved was Rogue One.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Also like Solo said, flying a space ship isn't like dusting crops. But apparently it was enough like dusting crops for Luke to go on the trench run.

yes, that line right there is the basis of a whole short story in the FROM A CERTAIN POINT OF VIEW SW's anthology

he was not accepted until his Buddy Biggs (an imperial deserter mind you) spoke up for him and his shooting rats in canyons and his crop dusting chops to be qualified to fly what is the SW's equivalent of a F15

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They are RETCONNING the story of Star Wars with it's earlier drafts, and you do not see that. They got this from the unpublished script from Lucas and the fans ran away with it in the EU comics

This comic referred to is NOT A EU comic--when the hell are you going to realise this?

Pablo Hidalgo--the disney appointed star wars "god of knowledge" has stated it as canon whether you like it or not

maybe you are getting confused with what was once EU stuff (EU is not a term used any longer--that is now called LEGENDS) and then discarded from semi official canon in the pre disney days

now, the DISNEY/LUCASARTS ppl are being very lazy in taking bits and pieces out of legends (stuff that other ppl came up with and wrote) and inserting them into canon--it is kind of like legal theft imo

they did this with characters like Wedge Antilles and things like Jedi and Sith holocrons

---there is no retconning though. there are expanding and adding on to the existing story

retconning would be if they did something that actually changed a previously shown event--so where have they done this?

and,how could you possibly believe that any of the films or other media has shown all that has been happening in the galaxy? Example- The CLONE WARS series did not show even a quarter of the events of the clone wars

just the events that the clones and the familiar jedi were involved in were shown. the wars included massive fleets and armies on the republic side that were never shown in the series

and in the empire era, the storm trooper forces were one of the smallest parts of the imperial army. most of the army were not storm troopers, but we didn't see that on screen until SOLO

the reason i bring this up is because there is much that has happened out of view and knowledge of the main characters that are always shown in the films and shows. The empire had over 20,000 star destroyers, but we never saw more then a handful on screen at any one time, that doesnt mean that the handful seen was all the empire possessed

the entirety of the star wars 'universe' would take dozens of films, series and other visual formats to cover and include them, all just so you could have a visual on them and then accept it?

hell, if that is the case, then i am no longer going to accept that the federation and starfleet possesses thousands of ships and millions of personnel until i see them all on screen and on parade in one screen shot! :)