Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
No digging through unpublished scripts or flipping through comic books.

you dont have to! i didn't.. what cant you understand? its called a google search or just go to wookiepedia or any other star wars fact site

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The Star Wars brand on iceberg lettuce means nothing since most millennials eat romaine or red leaf or kale.

sw's is not alone on using merchandising to promote its films:

sttmphm.jpg

this is still for sale--$145
s-l640.png

mego-ship-vulcan-7.jpg

or the spock grenadier decanter!!

shopping

and you got to have your corn flakes to start your day before fighting the borg like cpt picard!!
stfccerealcan.jpg

or some tex mex from Del taco!!

stnemdeltaco.jpg

AND DO NOT forget your Klingon happy meal before you go to warp! :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
hey, no one seems to be above it

one can get a onesie for their minnie me with EXPANSE merch on it

ra%2Cshortsleeve_one_piece%2Cx310%2CFFFFFF%3A97ab1c12de%2Cfront-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u14.jpg
or some MCRN coffee and mugs:

coffee.png
coffee-mug.png

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
A Rey cosplay outfit has no interest for young boys

maybe they would like some EXPANSE co splay stuff instead

a set of MCRN coveralls for $85 bucks (i am sure all of that goes to charity)

il_340x270.1827780356_4yss.jpg

or just wing it!

upload_2019-4-20_22-39-45.jpeg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
sw's is not alone on using merchandising to promote its films:

sttmphm.jpg

this is still for sale--$145
s-l640.png

mego-ship-vulcan-7.jpg

or the spock grenadier decanter!!

shopping

and you got to have your corn flakes to start your day before fighting the borg like cpt picard!!
stfccerealcan.jpg

or some tex mex from Del taco!!

stnemdeltaco.jpg

AND DO NOT forget your Klingon happy meal before you go to warp! :)

LOL! Great searching, but still a fail. Star Trek toys are still selling to this day. Mind you, not the new stuff from 2009 and after, but the TOS, TNG. DS9 and Voyager stuff. Enterprise stuff is not doing great, but there really isn't that much of it out there. The magnitude of Star Wars toys and licensing is WAAAAYYYY bigger than with Star Trek ever was, and even with the might of Disney behind it, the toys are not selling.

You can go for yourself and see. I have noticed the dust on the toys at my local Target and Walmart and even at the 99c store!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
LOL! Great searching, but still a fail. Star Trek toys are still selling to this day. Mind you, not the new stuff from 2009 and after, but the TOS, TNG. DS9 and Voyager stuff. Enterprise stuff is not doing great, but there really isn't that much of it out there. The magnitude of Star Wars toys and licensing is WAAAAYYYY bigger than with Star Trek ever was, and even with the might of Disney behind it, the toys are not selling.

oh wait

excuse me while I readjust for your goal post movement :)

this was all in reply to your insinuation that ONLY star wars uses such advertising

dont you have anythign to say about the Klingon whopper or the st happy meals

or the Mr Spock cereal...or the Grenadine decanter in the shape of SPocks head?!

in the future, pls inform me when you once again make a statement where you intend to change the requirements for what you will accept as an answer, "proof" or anything else that will otherwise point out that what you said or inferred/implied to generate the given answer, proof or anything else, was wrong or imprecise

this way i can have my goal post readjustment crew on standby :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
oh wait

excuse me while I readjust for your goal post movement :)

this was all in reply to your insinuation that ONLY star wars uses such advertising

dont you have anythign to say about the Klingon whopper or the st happy meals

or the Mr Spock cereal...or the Grenadine decanter in the shape of SPocks head?!

in the future, pls inform me when you once again make a statement where you intend to change the requirements for what you will accept as an answer, "proof" or anything else that will otherwise point out that what you said or inferred/implied to generate the given answer, proof or anything else, was wrong or imprecise

this way i can have my goal post readjustment crew on standby :)

Dude. Really? Perhaps you should read the comment and digest it before wasting so much time! :) I said that Star Wars is a consumerist franchise. IT IS. The primary reason for it to exist is to drive toy sales, movie tickets, games, books and tickets to Disney's new Galaxy's Edge theme parks in Los Angeles and Orlando. You followed that up with 20 and 30 year old branding projects from Star Trek, and some merchandise for The Expanse? Could you not find the Hasbro and Mattel collectors editions of all the characters? You couldn't find the dedicated store sections for Star Trek and The Expanse at Target and Walmart? That's because they do not exist. What is the closest Star Trek or Expanse theme park? I wanna go! Disney has spent over 3 BILLION on just the theme park expansions for Star Wars. The whole reason Disney bought Star Wars was to use it to market products.

You really want to push back against the truth and dig and scramble to find a defense for Star Wars. I see you are doing that, but I don't know WHY you are doing it.

NOTE: All but one of the branded Star Trek products you posted are FORTY YEARS OLD. From 1979 when Star Trek sold licensing to non-toy manufacturers of products.

This is 2019:

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I said that Star Wars is a consumerist franchise.

every show and movie is for profit

i am sure the investors in every movie and show demand a high return from all possible methods. i guess if they want to put their characters on lettuce, then so be it

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Eps 9 should be pretty clear what may happen

we will see a return to power of a Sith or a dark force user

Kenobi foresaw this at his death/first moments has a force ghost. as well as the death of Han and the ageing and 'apostasy' of Luke

so, up to now, his vision has been accurate

egsh4f4hstsz.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
every show and movie is for profit

i am sure the investors in every movie and show demand a high return from all possible methods. i guess if they want to put their characters on lettuce, then so be it

True, the bolded. But profit is the basics. Even the illegal alien selling oranges is selling them for a profit. What takes Star Wars far beyond simple profit and franchises like The Expanse, The Orville and Star Trek (NuTrek) is the construct created of theme parks, branded produce and household appliances, tie-ins with McDonalds and themed cruises on the Disney Cruise Lines ships. And of course, for the little guys there are the "official" books and games and toys. All of which are NOT SELLING. Disney has published the numbers, this is not a guess. Unless rabid fans who are able to acknowledge that the SW franchise is flawed and suggest changes instead of saying everything is okay, will help it to become more like the Star Wars it's fans deserve.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
True, the bolded. But profit is the basics. Even the illegal alien selling oranges is selling them for a profit. What takes Star Wars far beyond simple profit and franchises like The Expanse, The Orville and Star Trek (NuTrek) is the construct created of theme parks, branded produce and household appliances, tie-ins with McDonalds and themed cruises on the Disney Cruise Lines ships. And of course, for the little guys there are the "official" books and games and toys. All of which are NOT SELLING. Disney has published the numbers, this is not a guess. Unless rabid fans who are able to acknowledge that the SW franchise is flawed and suggest changes instead of saying everything is okay, will help it to become more like the Star Wars it's fans deserve.

i dont care about products or tie ins or C3PO lettuce, Happy Meals (like Trek did) or a klingon Burger at Burger King

i only care about the story being told

there are plenty of fans who are saying that the new trilogy is NOT ok, as I have. It was inevitable that DISNEY was going to follow Lucas' plan to do another Skywalker trilogy

and, even if he was in charge for it, it wold still have been much of the same re-hash and parallelism with the OT like JJ and Johnson have done

you can only beat to death the same old characters (with or without the same actors) for so long

Lucas also wanted to tell anthology stories. one reason he tried to get a live action series on tv to do this very thing. the idea that became ROGUE ONE was initially approved by Lucas and got carried over into Disney-ville.

the anthologies and tv series' are the way to go. if they ever make a new trilogy outside of the Skywalker drama, that too would be good, so long as it told some new stories with new-or little used- characters

Every tv show and movie from SW's-except rogue one- all basically had some sort of open ending. but TPTBs have got to stop rehashing shit from previous works as they are doing now. something that is so very apparent in the EP 9 trailer

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i dont care about products or tie ins or C3PO lettuce, Happy Meals (like Trek did) or a klingon Burger at Burger King

i only care about the story being told

there are plenty of fans who are saying that the new trilogy is NOT ok, as I have. It was inevitable that DISNEY was going to follow Lucas' plan to do another Skywalker trilogy

and, even if he was in charge for it, it wold still have been much of the same re-hash and parallelism with the OT like JJ and Johnson have done

you can only beat to death the same old characters (with or without the same actors) for so long

Lucas also wanted to tell anthology stories. one reason he tried to get a live action series on tv to do this very thing. the idea that became ROGUE ONE was initially approved by Lucas and got carried over into Disney-ville.

the anthologies and tv series' are the way to go. if they ever make a new trilogy outside of the Skywalker drama, that too would be good, so long as it told some new stories with new-or little used- characters

Every tv show and movie from SW's-except rogue one- all basically had some sort of open ending. but TPTBs have got to stop rehashing shit from previous works as they are doing now. something that is so very apparent in the EP 9 trailer

FINALLY WE AGREE! I agree with everything you said there. :) Disney only eliminated the EU because they did not have control of it and therefore could not monetize any of the characters fleshed out in the EU. That is why all the new books and stories and characters have been created, because the licensing for them belongs to Disney. I also agree that TV would be a much better medium for Star Wars, and a live action Star Wars series would have been making mad money for Lucasfilm had they done it. Only movies can generate a billion dollars in a couple of weeks though. That is why the movies are so important to Disney. Anyone who thinks Disney actually cares about Star Wars in terms of the stories and creativity is mistaken. They will only change things to enhance the value of the movie in the box office.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
FINALLY WE AGREE! I agree with everything you said there.

i have been saying this or some variation of it, the whole time. i believe either my first or second post in this thread referred to 'jj fuckery'

Disney only eliminated the EU because they did not have control of it and therefore could not monetize any of the characters fleshed out in the EU.

no, the EU, was licensed by LUCAS ARTS, so since DISNEY bought it, they control it

one example of the chaos tha twas the EU under lucas only was that his company would license then call 'canon' nearly every thing that came out under the eu

the Yuzhon Vong (spelling) the alien race that invaded the galaxy core after ROTJ and caused the imperial remnant and the new republic to ally, was called 'canon'. even though that would have thrown a monkey fuck into Lucas' plans for the new Skywalker trilogy.

lucasarts/lucasfilm story group (the new canon controllers) ditched that and has not came close to bringing it back--hopefully it stays that way.

another example that could have been used (and may be still if PALPATINE "comes back" as a clone of himself) was the story of the game force unleashed.

in it the empire took over the clone facilites of Kamino. where palp and vader created a breif run of new non Fett clones for the army. and, created clones for himself.

the hero of the game, Star killer/ Galen Marek, was an apprentice of Vader in the game. he nature of his service-meant to be a Jedi hunter, is thought to be the 'spark' that helped create the Inquisitors in REBELS

So, the LUCASFILM GROUP/DISNEY does indeed pick and choose from the EU- which is now called LEGENDS

it is like a pool of reserve troops! and i have defi said this here and elsewhere = IMO, this is very lazy and borders on intellectual theft

they (pre disney lucas) blessed the works of individual authors of comics and novels and the creators of vid games, called them canon and then made money off of the material back then

thne Lucas sold out for what? A billion dollars, and probably residuals as well as a chunk of cash from anything new (guessing on that)

and, DISNEY has lucasfilm/ pablo hidalgo, call up from their ready reserve force of characters and ideas-aka LEGENDS- whenever they want something or someone new

Wedge Antilles in REBELS was one example as was Beckett and Dyden Vos from SOLO, yes they were criminals in the EU but for SOLO they were brushed off and repackaged in a new form

no one can call it retcon or any real change to them though, as their previous existence is verboten!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i hope that this is a clear statement of my position although long winded :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i have been saying this or some variation of it, the whole time. i believe either my first or second post in this thread referred to 'jj fuckery'

no, the EU, was licensed by LUCAS ARTS, so since DISNEY bought it, they control it

No, they only control the license, not the characters or the stories, and no they do not "own" the stories or characters any more than they own Mattell or Hasbro who make the toys under license.

one example of the chaos tha twas the EU under lucas only was that his company would license then call 'canon' nearly every thing that came out under the eu

the Yuzhon Vong (spelling) the alien race that invaded the galaxy core after ROTJ and caused the imperial remnant and the new republic to ally, was called 'canon'. even though that would have thrown a monkey fuck into Lucas' plans for the new Skywalker trilogy.

lucasarts/lucasfilm story group (the new canon controllers) ditched that and has not came close to bringing it back--hopefully it stays that way.

another example that could have been used (and may be still if PALPATINE "comes back" as a clone of himself) was the story of the game force unleashed.

They can bring Palpatine back in the flesh because he said it could be done in Episode II in the prequels. They do not have to use anything outside of the movie story to do it.

in it the empire took over the clone facilites of Kamino. where palp and vader created a breif run of new non Fett clones for the army. and, created clones for himself.

the hero of the game, Star killer/ Galen Marek, was an apprentice of Vader in the game. he nature of his service-meant to be a Jedi hunter, is thought to be the 'spark' that helped create the Inquisitors in REBELS

So, the LUCASFILM GROUP/DISNEY does indeed pick and choose from the EU- which is now called LEGENDS

Yes, I know about Legends.

it is like a pool of reserve troops! and i have defi said this here and elsewhere = IMO, this is very lazy and borders on intellectual theft

they (pre disney lucas) blessed the works of individual authors of comics and novels and the creators of vid games, called them canon and then made money off of the material back then

Money from LICENSING, not owned outright. You need to understand how that works.

then Lucas sold out for what? A billion dollars, and probably residuals as well as a chunk of cash from anything new (guessing on that)

and, DISNEY has lucasfilm/ pablo hidalgo, call up from their ready reserve force of characters and ideas-aka LEGENDS- whenever they want something or someone new

Wedge Antilles in REBELS was one example as was Beckett and Dyden Vos from SOLO, yes they were criminals in the EU but for SOLO they were brushed off and repackaged in a new form

no one can call it retcon or any real change to them though, as their previous existence is verboten!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i hope that this is a clear statement of my position although long winded :)

It was 4 billion. Still, Star Wars has been thrown into a blender and spun a few times. The Star Wars fandom is still in an uproar, even with the teases being thrown out for Episode IX.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Mattell or Hasbro who make the toys under license
Money from LICENSING, not owned outright. You need to understand how that works.

who do mattel and hasbro hold the license from then?

no, lucasarts/disney owns pretty much all of it outright

many of the games, for example, were developed by lucasarts

LArts and Disney own it all or they publish it or license it. you cant issue a license if you don't own what it is you are licensing to begin with. if they didn't own it and then licensed anyhow, then it would be like selling a license to ppl to use your neighbors car-which you do not own

they stole the original works of all of those writers of the novels and comic books and other material (not directly produced by lucasarts) the whole time along.

the little guys were paid a pttance and surrendered their rights to the material once they got lucasarts blessing to crerate the material

then lucas sold out (btw--the cry baby fans need to stop complaining about "disney is destroying lucas' vision" fuck him! he sold out and was paid handsomely, he deserves to not have any say in anything any longer--he washed his hands) to disney. all of lucas arts produced/made stuff ( i am guessing though it is not talked about, disney owns INDIANA JONES now as well ?) as well as all of the stuff lucas 'blessed' into EU 'canon'

then disney ditched all of that and put it into LEGENDS

Now they take from LEGENDS what they want when they want to. it is undeniable that they have taken several characters and ideas from LEGENDS. characters and ideas that were originally made by ppl who are now little known/unknown.

this is a lazy and uncreative way to make entertainment. they have enough material--written by someone else now uncredited--that they now own outright, to bring into canon when they want to with a few tweeks to fit their stories

i don't know how else to get across to you that I believe this to be a shit way to do business- idk, maybe the original writers of this LEGENDS stuff do get some on screen credit at the end of the film? doubt they get any more money though

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
back to the film of topic

in ep 9, it seems as if Palpatine will be back and TPTBs have said it will not be as a force ghost

more beating old characters into submission to get ppl in theatre

anyway- wonder how they will bring him back?

related--- inconsistencies from ep 4 to now

Kenobis became a force ghost when he disappeared in his fight with DV

but why does anyone need their body just to become a ghost?

well, seems they don't

Anakin became a force ghost without his body

Qui Gon became a force ghost/presence without his body as well

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
strange how so many ppl will give so much shit to these use of the Force actions that we have seen in the new movies--like Force projection across the galaxy, but every one seems to have just accepted that a Jedi can just go 'poof' into thin air--as if that is somehow easier then Force projection

-------------------------------------------------------------
and, it would seem that Luke is now one as well

or is he? i mean when we saw Kenobi disappear he was under imminent threat of death-- Luke was not

Kenobi disappeared in lieu of being killed outright.. there was no impending death to Luke

so is he actually dead?

i don't want to see Luke any more-- old and boring

but, since it seems JJ is giving a subtle middle finger to Ryan Johnson and some of the events that took place in ep 8, who knows what JJ's twisted mind may have cooked up for ep 9?

i will most defi NOT be going to see it in theatre