Star Trek VOY: General Discussion Thread

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm sorry, but even the skin hugging catsuit designed to show of her rack had more class :lol:

Oh, there was a catsuit. Here's both their arch nemesis, Fourteen of Twenty-Five from the secondary adjunct in unimatrix 22. She was to be introduced in the second half of season 8 after Eight of Nine.

huge_boobs.jpg

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I am guessing that stance is just to get upright..............

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
The food issue was to conserve overall power. Even if systems convert power into different forms to become usable for a specific system, they still all come from the warp core (AFAIK). WHY they did not create 2 way converters is a fair issue though...

If you wanted to conserve power, you would replicate food from poop and pee and not beam down to any planets.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
And where are you getting the power to make this transformation?

In the real world, you would use the power that would otherwise have been used to beam down to planets.

In the Dingleberry world of Voyager, you could not transfer power from the transporter to the replicator.

Bluce Ree

If you wanted to conserve power, you would replicate food from poop and pee and not beam down to any planets.

What is it with you people and all this "making sense" stuff? GO AWAY and take your common sense with you!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
In the real world, you would use the power that would otherwise have been used to beam down to planets.
Cause, ya know, they never sent shuttlecrafts and landed on the planets for supply runs did they..................:rolleye0014:

In the Dingleberry world of Voyager, you could not transfer power from the transporter to the replicator.
You could stop power going from the warp core to either system if you wanted to however.

Bluce Ree

Odd, since both operate on the premise of transforming matter to energy and back. One conserved molecular integrity while the other transforms the molecular structure.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The food issue was to conserve overall power. Even if systems convert power into different forms to become usable for a specific system, they still all come from the warp core (AFAIK). WHY they did not create 2 way converters is a fair issue though.
--- merged: Mar 13, 2013 at 5:03 PM ---

Thats natural dude, if you don't care about the main bits of a story (IE, the characters involved), then you are just gonna look for things not to like. :)

i kind of thought the "food issue" was just a foil to give the Neelix character a reason to exist...:rolleye0014: :anim_59:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
i kind of thought the "food issue" was just a foil to give the Neelix character a reason to exist...:rolleye0014: :anim_59:

His foil is more the knowledge of the Delta Quadrant and to act as a "ambassador" (who is about as useful as Jar Jar most of the time).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
While sending shuttlecrafts are an improvement, it is still more energy-effective to make food out of poop and pee.

Strictly speaking, yes it would be but stuck out in the delta quadrant with no reliable chain of supply, refit and repair may make it impractical to do it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
While sending shuttlecrafts are an improvement, it is still more energy-effective to make food out of poop and pee.

ok this may sound really stupid-but since my knowledge of science is limited and all i know of reclamation of waste is from sci fi--so

If a crew is recycling their crap and pee for water and food, with limited intake of "fresh" food, won't the nutritional quality of the recycled food degrade with each recycle?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
ok this may sound really stupid-but since my knowledge of science is limited and all i know of reclamation of waste is from sci fi--so

If a crew is recycling their crap and pee for water and food, with limited intake of "fresh" food, won't the nutritional quality of the recycled food degrade with each recycle?

Some, because each recycling loses some material. But that could be replenished by periodically taking in those minerals lost in the recycling process. It would not take much.

Bluce Ree

Some, because each recycling loses some material. But that could be replenished by periodically taking in those minerals lost in the recycling process. It would not take much.

Why don't you guys run an experiment where you both sustain yourselves on a steady diet of fecal patties and melted yellow snow for 30 days then have your blood levels taken to see how your bodies have fared?

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Remember the Ocampa age far more rapidly. So if Kes is 2-3 (per the show) she is really somewhere around 25 human years of age. It was still kind of silly though.

As to the Kazon, while I wouldn't call them Klingon ripoffs they were unmemorable as alien villains. And the showrunners recognized the error and not only wrote them out at the end of Season 2 but even made fun of themselves early in Season 4 - Seven of Nine references the Kazon as having been encounted by the Borg but rejected as unworthy of assimilation (episode Mortal Coil). They also recognized the Kes error and likewise wrote her out early in Season 4.

If only TPTW had 4 seasons to correct the mistakes they made in SGU. :neglected:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

i have read where the japanese were working on a similar tech for the ISS. Any idea ow that is coming along-or any other procedures in the area?