Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Thinking the Spock- T'pring thing isn't going to work out, Spock and Nurse Chapel are definitely the right couple

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Well, I don't care what Dave Cullen thinks, but anyway.

Thought this last episode was pretty good. Compared to episode 4 of Obi-Wan this would get an oscar. Or I guess an emmy or whatever it's called. Even so, a lot of things in the episode were pretty predictable. But it still made for a good watch.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think you missed my point. Cullen likes SNW and hates STD and Picard. So it is indicative that people are responding positively to the tone and pacing changes and also being episodic.

This last episode was solid. Not awesome but solid.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
No, I got that point. I'm just not interested in some random YouTuber's opinion on a show, whether it aligns with my own or not. Now, if he wants to come here and write about his opinions, that is a different matter, because a forum like this is a discussion platform. I just don't have time for opinion pieces, whether those be in the mainstream media, in web-based "news" outlets, or on video platforms. At best they are just out to make some money from clicks and views and ad revenue. At worst they are trying to influence other people's mindsets with whatever crap they decide to push. "Hey look at me with all those views I got. You know, that means that everyone agrees with me, so you'd better fall in line too, or you're not part of the cool club." It's like politics but at a pedestrian level, yet on a potentially fairly large scale. And I hate those things even more because they get in the way of informative pieces which offer real value by means of facts and knowledge, which people could use to form their own opinions about things.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It has dawned on me that so far we have not seen any Klingons in Strange New Worlds. I find that refreshing!

Perhaps it's a deliberate decision. Perhaps the Klingons will come later. Perhaps the Klingons from Discovery weren't liked very much and they couldn't put the same Klingons in this show, nor could they put different Klingons in it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to think we will see Klingons sooner or later.

I did like this last episode as an entertaining piece of science fiction filmmaking. Yes some elements were naff (like how easily the Enterprise was taken over) but overall it was fun and not turgid like the preceding one was. As with all of them if you want to enjoy them you need to take a very loose approach to canon because they have all been canonically ridiculous.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I never understood those elevator handles in TOS. They have them in SNW too. The turbo-lift is voice activated, so why do you need to grab some handle in order to activate the voice activation. I'm not sure this is even in any way better than pushing a button, and definitely less hygienic. Plus those handles look stupid and ugly. And they take up unnecessary space. And it looks like one could get killed if one's head bangs against that handle, in the event the turbo-lift goes bonkers.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Nurse Chapel don't need no weapons.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Spock's family is ever-groing.

Or maybe not. Sybok sounds kinda familiar.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sybok = Lawrence Luckenbill in Star Trek V

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It looks like this week is the Doctor Mbenka episode.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And this week's episode was VERY weird. I'm not sure which TOS episode it throws back to if any (but it feels like it does). Decent performances across the board and while I was not thrilled with a lot of it the ending redeems the episode for me.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
That was a weird episode indeed. I didn't find it particularly interesting. What they did in the end, on the one hand I found it a ridiculous scene, with the father having to decide about whether to keep his daughter or to let her go with this "space nebula entity", but on the other hand it means that story line has been put to rest. I don't really feel there was a need to though. It was just, weird. Sure, the father is happy to let the young daughter make the decision that will affect the rest of both of their lives. Right. Sure, the daughter is happy to stay with the space entity she just met instead of remaining with her father whom she loves dearly. Seriously WTF. That is just piss-poor writing to be honest.

It was kinda fun seeing Pike run around like a cowardly subordinate as opposed to his regular position though. And the actress who plays the security officer got to show a different side of herself in this one, rather than the stoic face she generally keeps.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
They killed off the most interesting character.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yeah. I was unhappy with this episode.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Much better episode than last week.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to do a season ending writeup and will soon. Overall a VERY uneven show but BY FAR the best NuTrek

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Wait, what? It's the end of season already? Geez! I miss the seasons from the TNG days...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
10 episode season.