Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
how long ago did sarcasm leave your life... or is just a Belfast thing? :)
I just wasn't sure. I have a feeling I stepped on your D before once or twice.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So like the second episode was meant to build the character of Uhura, the third episode was intended to build the character of the first officer. I would use her name, but unfortunately I haven't learned it yet and I can't be arsed to look it up right now. I'm guessing we'll see a lot of character development during this season. Anybody want to venture a guess as to who will be the next character to receive some fleshing out?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So like the second episode was meant to build the character of Uhura, the third episode was intended to build the character of the first officer. I would use her name, but unfortunately I haven't learned it yet and I can't be arsed to look it up right now. I'm guessing we'll see a lot of character development during this season. Anybody want to venture a guess as to who will be the next character to receive some fleshing out?
Una Chin-Riley

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Episode 3......okay. I liked episode 2 better in some ways,

On the good side, nice story. Also Chapel was toned down a little and they addressed Singh's Augment ancestry. Really the episode was more a character piece on Number One and she handled her part well.

On the less good side, the glib, unprofessional dialogue was still a problem and both Number One and Doctor Mbenka should have been court martialed. I guess regulations are optional now...

Overall SNW is doing okay. But they should clean up the glib dialogue and casual approach to starfleet discipline. Both together make the crew feel unprofessional which breaks suspension of disbelief.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Episode 3......okay. I liked episode 2 better in some ways,

On the good side, nice story. Also Chapel was toned down a little and they addressed Singh's Augment ancestry. Really the episode was more a character piece on Number One and she handled her part well.

On the less good side, the glib, unprofessional dialogue was still a problem and both Number One and Doctor Mbenka should have been court martialed. I guess regulations are optional now...

Overall SNW is doing okay. But they should clean up the glib dialogue and casual approach to starfleet discipline. Both together make the crew feel unprofessional which breaks suspension of disbelief.
kind of feel there would be more by not having her related.

Singh is a pretty common name, and, even if "Khan" only had one child, 3 centuries later (or whenever they end up redating the Eugenics Wars to) he would have thousands of descendants, and only some with the surname of Singh

just seems forced so they can have some later "Khan" or Augment issue.. maybe another "in" for the Wesley Crusher traveler character to appear or something

what's next M'benga is descended from Daniel Greaves? So we will see him have internal conflicts on his having a genetically inferior daughter with such an ancestor? One who was a great admirer of Colonel Green

lazy writing

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So, report card three episodes in:

The Good

1) Decent stories. All three plots have been TOS style in construction and they have actually delivered on the episodic part.

2) Tone is HUGELY improved. So far this is an optimistic show and the crew have actual camaraderie and charisma.

3) Anson Mount and Rebecca Romjin both giving good performances. Really the only bad performance so far is Chapel.

The Not So Good

1) Occasional woke moments which have been cringey, especially in Episode 1. But nowhere near the SJW avalanche in shows like Picard or STD.

2) Chapel's characterization is off - she needs a rewrite and to be put in a normal uniform.

3) The crew sometimes (as opposed to all the time on STD) have glib dialogue together which feels unprofessional and can disrupt the suspension of disbelief.

The Baffling

1) Uhura. She really does feel like Hoshi Sato not Uhura.

All in all, I have been pleasantly surprised. This is definitely watchable and while there is a lot of room for improvement, the same could be said about TNG Season 1 (a lot of which was terrible). Had THIS been the first thing out from Kurtzman Trek the fanbase reaction would have been so much more positive...the issue is STD and Picard poisoned the proverbial well and destroyed any idea of trust.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
She really does feel like Hoshi Sato not Uhura.
Wouldn't Sato be a role model to young want to be exolinguists though? Kind of how we hear today's Astronauts talk about getting inspiration for Glenn or test pilots or even ocean going explorers/ mountain climbers?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, report card three episodes in:

The Good

1) Decent stories. All three plots have been TOS style in construction and they have actually delivered on the episodic part.

2) Tone is HUGELY improved. So far this is an optimistic show and the crew have actual camaraderie and charisma.

3) Anson Mount and Rebecca Romjin both giving good performances. Really the only bad performance so far is Chapel.

The Not So Good

1) Occasional woke moments which have been cringey, especially in Episode 1. But nowhere near the SJW avalanche in shows like Picard or STD.

2) Chapel's characterization is off - she needs a rewrite and to be put in a normal uniform.

3) The crew sometimes (as opposed to all the time on STD) have glib dialogue together which feels unprofessional and can disrupt the suspension of disbelief.

The Baffling

1) Uhura. She really does feel like Hoshi Sato not Uhura.

All in all, I have been pleasantly surprised. This is definitely watchable and while there is a lot of room for improvement, the same could be said about TNG Season 1 (a lot of which was terrible). Had THIS been the first thing out from Kurtzman Trek the fanbase reaction would have been so much more positive...the issue is STD and Picard poisoned the proverbial well and destroyed any idea of trust.
still got that "poo" to clean off for Shadow Man though :) :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Wouldn't Sato be a role model to young want to be exolinguists though? Kind of how we hear today's Astronauts talk about getting inspiration for Glenn or test pilots or even ocean going explorers/ mountain climbers?
meaning might she have watched her files and tried to mimic her style? Sato was a kind of Starfleet outsider as well

but, IRL, I say its just more of TPTB's doing a recycle of old character profiles and maybe some blending

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The thing is her whole character feels like Hoshi. You could literally substitute Linda Park for the current actress and call her Hoshi and it would feel right in place.

Not sure about the poo remark or Shadow Mann. STD and Picard did destroy fan trust and put the franchise on life support. Had THIS come out first everything would be different because even with its issues it IS telling stories of the type and form of Star Trek.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I must say that was a pretty nice visual of a black hole, the nicest one I've ever seen. But, there was no time dilation...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Nice visuals indeed. Overall a good, tense installment. I will likely come up with more detailed thoughts later but right now:

- Liked Singh's portrayal, Hemmer getting real screen time and Spock.

- Not happy with Pike lacking agency early in the episode - he is the Captain not Singh. She has no authority to order the ship to do anything when Pike is right there.

- Chapel is annoying.

- Pike later in the episode was VERY much a Captain, and the ultimate path out of the mess they were in came from him. Good!

- I liked the idea of remembrance day a lot.

All in all I still have to say that SNW is BY FAR the best NuTrek. And had THIS been the first thing out the door likely there is no disaffected fan base (like there is now).

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Come to think of it, I don't believe we actually got to see a single Gorn in that episode.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Come to think of it, I don't believe we actually got to see a single Gorn in that episode.
nope.. they are still just inflexible, lifeless rubber masked villains :)

1653693513222.png

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was a pretty decent way to use the Gorn without breaking continuity.

My laugh of late is some people being upset about the mind meld claiming TOS had the first Vulcan - Human mind meld. While the TOS episode said this at the time this was actually broken in Enterprise - remember the episode Kir'Shara? I am a proponent of adhering to canon but also can see where you need to see what canon actually is at the time you film - in this case Enterprise had already changed canon.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Murder-spock!
Kissy-spock!
Lover-spock!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Got the impression that they're gonna ship Chapel with Spock.

Overall I found it an entertaining episode, even though there wasn't anything spectacular going on.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Freak Friday....Star Trek Style.:icon_cool:

I did get a kick out of the old school TOS music during the battle scene, but it went on too long.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It had good and bad points:

To be different bad first:

1) Canonicity - there was none. Canonically it was ridiculous,.

2) Chapel was still annoying

The good:

1) I liked it showing La'an and Una learning to lighten up a bit

2) Pike's insightful solution to the diplomatic problem

3) Spock and T'Pring. They were good together mostly and Ethan Peck is starting to fill the Spock shoes better.

4) Actually having the Enterprise back at Starbase 1 being refit after the beating it took in the last episode was a good touch - sometimes episodic shows can suffer from it looking like things have no lasting consequences. This was avoided.

As comic relief while not "The Trouble With Tribbles" it was fun TV to watch albeit not very Trek.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Gotta say, Spock with pointy ears looks baller, but Spock with human ears looks like a f*cking dork.