Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And the musical was okay. I would prefer they had waited on an episode like this until they have all the bugs in the overall show worked out.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I've just stopped trying to fit it into Trek at all. Once I did that it became an easier watch.

I will praise the acting, the overall tone and SOME of the writing and directing. But the show has not achieved consistency - the quality of episodes still goes up and down like an EKG. And I still think there are too many characters which is causing none to really get properly served in the scripts. Like I said upthread drop Uhura and Chapel and turn the "serious and professional" dial on Ortegas more to that side and give her some meatier stories - Melissa Navia has acting chops but is not being given much to do here.
I get the seriousness aspect you are saying

but I KNOW there is something far different and better, about this than STD, when I can watch multiple eps of this back to back but cannot get through more than 10 minutes of ANY STD episode

What would be the number 1 issue you would select for why it "doesn't fit"? -- not arguing, just curious

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So, they ended the season on a cliffhanger. Guess we're gonna get a third season, and it will involve the Gorn. Montgomery Scott was in the episode. It wasn't the greatest piece of writing, but then, it was okay. I must say the Gorn are done quite well. Wonder how long it will be now before we get to see how it continues. Probably summer 2024.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, they ended the season on a cliffhanger. Guess we're gonna get a third season, and it will involve the Gorn. Montgomery Scott was in the episode. It wasn't the greatest piece of writing, but then, it was okay. I must say the Gorn are done quite well. Wonder how long it will be now before we get to see how it continues. Probably summer 2024.
Strikes in effect.. probably no new season till 2026 or so

the only issue I have with the Gorn is same as all shows that depict aliens like this-- HOW can some slobber tooth aliens that crawl on all 4s be capable of building tech that is more advanced than the Federations'?

oh, and the musical episode? hard pass at the first line of Spock signing :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
As aliens they are not bad. But the Gorn have a very specific depiction that goes back to TOS and also in ENT and IIRC DS9. They should have been given a different name - maybe they could be the Xindi insectoids? Because they act more like insects or Xenomorphs.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I thought the casual mentioning that the settlement on the planet was purposely modelled after 20th century United States rather jarring. Just seemed like an excuse to spend less on the set.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Agreed that the planet was odd and it felt like more presentism from the writers.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I thought the casual mentioning that the settlement on the planet was purposely modelled after 20th century United States rather jarring. Just seemed like an excuse to spend less on the set.
yes, pretty cringe - I was half expecting to see a demonstration on the street for trans rights or some other present day issue

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well now that Season Two is done some general thoughts:

1) This is still an excellent cast that have talent and charisma. Generally the acting was good within the constraints of the writing.

2) It still is tonally a big improvement over the rest of Kurtzman Trek and the episodic format still serves it well.

But....

3) The writing this year was frankly subpar as a whole. The quality was even more uneven than last season which surprised me - I was hoping they might hit some type of stride. The show did better earlier in the season but kinda fell apart later in it. Episodes 1,2,3 and 4 were cool. 5, 6 and 7 not so much. 8 was decent, 9 and 10 again were deficient.

4) The handling of Spock is getting annoying. Ethan Peck is easily able to play this role well but they need to give him better material, as in give him back Spock's intelligence and wisdom and general logic.

5) And PLEASE FIX ORTEGAS. She is grating to watch because she is written like a smart aleck millennial. This is also a disservice to Melissa Navia who is capable of so much more - give her better material.

Overall assuming there is a Season Three the issues are fixable. What is needed are better writers who have a Science Fiction genre background. A major reason the Orville turned out to be such good quality was the writers room was filled with people like Brannon Braga, Andre Bormanis, Joe Menosky and David A Goodman who are both accomplished screenwriters and accomplish Science Fiction writers.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Well now that Season Two is done some general thoughts:

1) This is still an excellent cast that have talent and charisma. Generally the acting was good within the constraints of the writing.

2) It still is tonally a big improvement over the rest of Kurtzman Trek and the episodic format still serves it well.

But....

3) The writing this year was frankly subpar as a whole. The quality was even more uneven than last season which surprised me - I was hoping they might hit some type of stride. The show did better earlier in the season but kinda fell apart later in it. Episodes 1,2,3 and 4 were cool. 5, 6 and 7 not so much. 8 was decent, 9 and 10 again were deficient.

4) The handling of Spock is getting annoying. Ethan Peck is easily able to play this role well but they need to give him better material, as in give him back Spock's intelligence and wisdom and general logic.

5) And PLEASE FIX ORTEGAS. She is grating to watch because she is written like a smart aleck millennial. This is also a disservice to Melissa Navia who is capable of so much more - give her better material.

Overall assuming there is a Season Three the issues are fixable. What is needed are better writers who have a Science Fiction genre background. A major reason the Orville turned out to be such good quality was the writers room was filled with people like Brannon Braga, Andre Bormanis, Joe Menosky and David A Goodman who are both accomplished screenwriters and accomplish Science Fiction writers.
I am biting my tongue so hard it's bleeding! :icon_lol:

My issues with this show have nothing much to do with the excellent cast or production values, it has to do with canon and established character destruction.

1. The ship they are on is not the USS Enterprise 1701 that will later become Kirk's ship
2. The Klingorcs from STD and the fact that this ship has been in the same space as USS Discovery means it's in Kurtzman's mold-infested universe that has spore drive in it.
3. Spock feels like an insult to me. I have seen him singing, and he somehow had T'Pring on the ship when he never even saw her before TOS. Plus he was banging her and there is no Pon Farr.
4. The mission of SNW is to ERASE the TOS canon, and I am not having it.

I am not willing to accept any of this crap as Star Trek, even though it's better than Discovery S1-3. It's NuTrek. This is NOT Star Trek (in my opinion only!)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjy6idrqHqo

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I gave up on canonicity and just tried to look at it like a show with no Star Trek connotations.

I really do think the "writers" of NuTrek have little to no exposure to anything Classic before DS9, Nemesis and TUC. The whole tone and look of NuTrek suggests this.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
All things considered, how many TV shows (or media franchises) are out there, which have gone on as long as Star Trek has, and have managed not to sway from "canon". Is it really fair to expect a modern TV show to stick to "facts" which were presented more than half a century ago? For that matter, can those "facts" actually be interpreted to be hard facts (no quotes), or could it be conceivable that those things weren't actually facts but more like interpretations made by viewers based on the constructs of what they consider to be known and true, or even interpretations of the creators of the earlier shows? I think it is more than fair to expect a show to sway from the past over such a long period of time, especially considering the radical changes that have occurred in society in real life since then. Of course that means that some changes are not to everyone's liking, but that doesn't make them any less deserving of existing. It's not like history is set in stone, as it constantly changes based on new discoveries, realizations, and hypotheses. For that matter, even science is not set in stone, as the "reality" of this has shifted massively over time, and will no doubt continue to shift radically in the future. Taking such things into consideration, I think a change in a fictional character's history for the benefit of creating an engaging story, compared to what it was originally over five decades ago is no reason for concern. Just enjoy what it's there on its own merits and stop comparing it to what you already know it's not.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
All things considered, how many TV shows (or media franchises) are out there, which have gone on as long as Star Trek has, and have managed not to sway from "canon". Is it really fair to expect a modern TV show to stick to "facts" which were presented more than half a century ago? For that matter, can those "facts" actually be interpreted to be hard facts (no quotes), or could it be conceivable that those things weren't actually facts but more like interpretations made by viewers based on the constructs of what they consider to be known and true, or even interpretations of the creators of the earlier shows? I think it is more than fair to expect a show to sway from the past over such a long period of time, especially considering the radical changes that have occurred in society in real life since then. Of course that means that some changes are not to everyone's liking, but that doesn't make them any less deserving of existing. It's not like history is set in stone, as it constantly changes based on new discoveries, realizations, and hypotheses. For that matter, even science is not set in stone, as the "reality" of this has shifted massively over time, and will no doubt continue to shift radically in the future. Taking such things into consideration, I think a change in a fictional character's history for the benefit of creating an engaging story, compared to what it was originally over five decades ago is no reason for concern. Just enjoy what it's there on its own merits and stop comparing it to what you already know it's not.
This show, if it were named something else and had no connection to Star Trek, would not be appealing to me. I can clearly explain in great detail why I feel this way. The fact that it has the Star Trek name makes everything else about it seem even more extreme. Much like what has happened to Doctor Who and Star Wars. Once you are making a completely different product, you can't expect the same fanbase of the original to rally behind the new (and much different) product. Personal tastes are one thing, but we have seen a mass rejection of NuTrek by the more than 100 million strong fanbase worldwide. The toys do not sell, the shows have less than 1 million viewers (or even half that amount). Sure, it has fans and some of them are rabid fans. But there are only a tiny amount of them, nowhere near enough to carry NuTrek past the point where it is canceled. Once the last of the shows is gone, it will be forgotten while the original shows endure. In my opinion.

Last edited:

Shadow Mann

Staff member
And the musical was okay. I would prefer they had waited on an episode like this until they have all the bugs in the overall show worked out.
I missed this comment! Yes, I watched the musical episode. The music was good and the dancing was good. The only thing wrong with it was that it was made for something named Star Trek. It was their highest rated episode and put the show (low) on the Nielsen for a week. I dunno, there is no timeline or occasion for there to be a literal musical episode in anything named Star Trek. In my opinion!

Mixed Martial Arts Idk GIF by UFC