Flotsam and Jetsam

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
it doesn't surprise me that there are more murders in warm climes- sociologists figured out years ago that the murder rate goes up in warm weather. In the winter when it's cold most people stay indoors and away from others. (other than domestic violence- those rates stay the same year around it seems) Years ago a sociology prof did a study that showed when ice cream sales go up so do murders- thus proving that correlation does NOT mean causation - the same thing causes both - warm weather and longer days. :D

But~! When you get much closer to the equator, worldwide, overall violence drops thought the severity of each incident is more vicious. Of course it varies among cultures--head hunting in New Guinea, female genital mutilation in Africa

"Cold" ppl have more violence while "warm" ppl have less but more violent acts. Conversely and perhaps ironically, equatorial ppl have been noted to be some of the most welcoming and sharing ppl when it comes to outsiders. In the 30's on New Guinea and on islands like Alor, anthropologists were treated as kings, some as divine. Just the same, Cora DuBois kept a pistol with her at all times :tealc-gun02:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Don't forget that many of the equatorial tribes have cannibalism tradtions too. So they may be nice but when they invite you for dinner - remember to ask what/who the main course is! ;)

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This is way trivial and I have some strong feelings about the lottery. This article though, IMO, seems to bring up the idea that since this mega lottery crosses state lines and that both winners and ticket merchants are treated differently state to state-might it violate the equal protection clause?

It doesn't seem right, the unbalanced application of the rules--

http://news.yahoo.com/store-owner-mega-millions-video-144609246.html

Editor's note: This story has been modified from its original form.

A store owner who sold one of the two winning Mega Millions lottery tickets for Tuesday's $636 million jackpot was overjoyed when a CNN reporter informed her she'd be getting a $1 million prize for selling the winning ticket.

"Now you know by selling the winning ticket there's also prize money for you," CNN's Martin Savidge told Young Soo Lee, the owner of the Gateway newsstand in Buckhead, Ga., just north of Atlanta.

"I know, but I don't know how much," she replied. "Long time ago, I heard it's $25,000."

"Let me tell you, it's a lot more than $25,000," Savidge replied. "It's about $1 million that you get."

"Really?" she gasped, clutching her chest. "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! I never had so much money!"

Only one problem: she won't be getting $1 million. In fact, she won't be getting anything for selling the winning ticket.

While a store owner in California who sold the other winning ticket will be getting a $1 million bonus, Georgia rules aren't so generous. Via NBC News:

Georgia lottery rules provide no retailer payout, spokeswoman Tandi Reddick said. Retailers get a flat 6 percent commission on the sales of the $1 tickets themselves, but no bonus for a winning ticket, she said.

Lee told NBC that she was “a little mad” after learning that she wasn’t getting the bonus.

Lottery officials say the other winning ticket was sold at Jenny's Gift Shop in San Jose, Calif., whose owner, Thuy Nguyen, a 37-year-old Vietnamese man and father of three, bought the store four months ago. Per California rules, Nguyen will receive a $1 million bonus.

Twenty $1 million tickets were also sold, with those tickets matching all of the winning numbers except for the Mega Ball.

The $636 million jackpot was the second largest in U.S. lottery history. The largest, a $656 million prize, was split by three winning tickets in March 2012.

According to Mega Millions, the odds of winning Tuesday's jackpot were 1 in 259 milli

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
For a jackpot this big the store owner should get something above the piddling amount they normally receive. The lottery is a shit game of chance to begin with and stuff like this sure doesn't help its image.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This kind of behavior-by the walmart staff-disgusts me. Why are they sucking up to her? Did they think they'd "get lucky" with her or something?

http://omg.yahoo.com/video/beyonce-...t-store-173728697-us-weekly.html?soc_src=copy

It's all just marketing nonsense by Beyonce. I guess she recently released a "down load only" album and now retailers like Target and Walmart are pissed at her because they are missing out on all those in-store sales, especially being Christmas and all. This is just her attempt to smooth some ruffled feathers for her corporate overlords, that's it.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
No, target refused to sell it, hence the publicity stunt.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
No, target refused to sell it, hence the publicity stunt.

No matter. I think it's funny that the general populace is too stupid to figure out that they're being played like a fiddle (except they generally don't know what the hell a "fiddle" is :daniel_new004:).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It's all just marketing nonsense by Beyonce. I guess she recently released a "down load only" album and now retailers like Target and Walmart are pissed at her because they are missing out on all those in-store sales, especially being Christmas and all. This is just her attempt to smooth some ruffled feathers for her corporate overlords, that's it.

I get her angle-it is the schmoozy behavior of the ppl in the store that I don't like. She puts her pants on like everyone else (kind of)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I get her angle-it is the schmoozy behavior of the ppl in the store that I don't like. She puts her pants on like everyone else (kind of)

Welcome to America. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
"I feel a song coming on..."

of course I only expect less then half of everyone to appreciate it and less then half of those to like it, but, I post anyway.... :icon_lol:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
"I feel a song coming on..."

of course I only expect less then half of everyone to appreciate it and less then half of those to like it, but, I post anyway.... :icon_lol:

Bilbo, is that you??
And more importantly, am I a Sackville Baggins??

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Bilbo, is that you??
And more importantly, am I a Sackville Baggins??

Man, the power of "connection" over the net and half a world away...

Anyhoo, this and whole butt load of other scenes; in the book and not, in the Appendices and just funny stuff was deleted and appear in the extended edition.

This song, if I remember correctly,was in the book, yes? The "mystery" of the goblin king-answered elsewhere of course

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Man, the power of "connection" over the net and half a world away...

Anyhoo, this and whole butt load of other scenes; in the book and not, in the Appendices and just funny stuff was deleted and appear in the extended edition.

This song, if I remember correctly,was in the book, yes? The "mystery" of the goblin king-answered elsewhere of course

I dunno dude, it has been AGES since I have read the silmarillion, or the unfinished tales.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I dunno dude, it has been AGES since I have read the silmarillion, or the unfinished tales.

I am pretty sure the Goblin town sing was in The Hobbit book.

In Tolkien's manuscripts, it was found--along with so much else about Middle Earth-that he fancied (as if someone else wrote the stuff) the goblin king was am unrepentant Maia formerly in the service of Morgoth. After his defeat, this Maia fled to the mountains and took the form of a great goblin. The orcs came to him as he was not cruel and did not torture and mutilate as Sauron and Morgoth did. This is why these orcs we see in the film are not mutilated or otherwise cut up with things like steel plates for stitches, etc.

As a Maia-the Goblin King is of the same order of Sauron, Gandalf, Saruman-the other wizards, and of course the Balrogs.

But now I am geeking again :redface:

I saw a random obscure comment today that someone in "Hollywood" is actually trying to garner support for making the Silmarillion. The Tolkien family has not yet sold the rights for it or any other of his material though. Would def make an interesting and very visually appealing film.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Ok, before anyone asks what I was doing at cosmo--it was a link from a Yahoo story (that was just about as ridiculous)

When I read stuff like this that comes from women I am wondering-do the women ever stop to think just how silly they sound by saying they fell for these corny men's lines? Sure they critique the guy's stupidity/creativity/desperation-but they never criticize the ladies who went along with it.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-lov...link=rel&dom=yah_life&src=syn&mag=cos#slide-1

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Ok, before anyone asks what I was doing at cosmo--it was a link from a Yahoo story (that was just about as ridiculous)

When I read stuff like this that comes from women I am wondering-do the women ever stop to think just how silly they sound by saying they fell for these corny men's lines? Sure they critique the guy's stupidity/creativity/desperation-but they never criticize the ladies who went along with it.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-lov...link=rel&dom=yah_life&src=syn&mag=cos#slide-1

I think it has to do with low self-esteem issues which are prevalent in our society.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
http://www.wistv.com/story/24313842...uffer&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Buffer

Police: Woman stabbed man with ceramic squirrel

3122740_G.jpg

NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -
A 41-year-old man was left bloodied early Christmas morning after his spouse attacked and stabbed him with a ceramic squirrel for not bringing home beer, according to an incident report.

Helen Ann Williams, 44, was arrested Wednesday and charged with criminal domestic violence of a high and aggravated nature.

Police say Williams claimed the victim fell and cut himself. When asked why she had blood on her hand and clothes, she said it was not the victim's blood and that it had been there.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*:shep_lol: