Cat Lovers Thread

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He only likes being touched for so long before he becomes evil and hisses and/or tries to bite. If one is smart, one never tries to pet his belly. Well, unless one has decided that only having the full use of one hand is acceptable.

Ah...Fisher was like that too until recently. I know, you start petting him and then he turns his head quickly as if to say "Im gonna bite you, okay?" :) He also still does not like it if I reach directly over his head with my hand. He needs to see me extending my hand before he will allow me to pet him. But lately, he rubs against me and I can even stroke his belly a bit. You have had Jeffrey for years, right?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, I've been owned by Jeffrey since he was about 4 weeks old and now he's getting close to six years old.

Does he actually ever bite?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, and he does it to cause damage. It's not just a warning shot.

I got about 5 or 6 skin puncturing bites from Fisher in the first 6 months (the Fisher School of Feline Torture). :( It turned out that Fisher was biting the smell of the other cats on my hands, so I started washing my hands before petting him and that stopped. Now, since Fisher knows the smells he does not bite at all. Dante and Siete never EVER bite me or the vets or other people, but I think if pissed enough, Siete might bite. Dante never bites no matter what.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Neither of my cats will bite people unless seriously provoked (growl at people, yes), other animals is a different story.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Neither of my cats will bite people unless seriously provoked (growl at people, yes), other animals is a different story.

Neither Siete or Dante will bite, but Fisher will...in a heartbeat. :) Dante is like a Gumby...you can put him in a position and he will stay there like you bent him into place. :anim_59: He is so completely passive and agreeable, he makes no enemies. Perhaps that is why Fisher has made friends with him.

Check this out...another big time first. Even Siete and Dante dont cuddle like this (just taken):

2014-01-23 10.16.30.jpg

No doubt now, Dante and Fisher have bonded. Now, if only Siete could get with the program, I would have one big happy cat family. :)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I loved seeing the cat "hugging" him. So much for the prediction of him becoming an unsociable cat. LOL

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I loved seeing the cat "hugging" him. So much for the prediction of him becoming an unsociable cat. LOL

I can so picture him talking baby talk to that cat. :) I do it too, but never in front of other people! :anim_59: It is obvious to me that Norman loves this cat a lot and the cat shares that feeling for him too.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Apparently, Ian Somerhalder (LOST, Vampire Diaries) and also did the People Magazine photoshoot, has 8 animals , including (at least) one lovely orange cat who he refers to as his kid.

While I don't watch the shows he's on, I have to appreciate a fellow animal lover.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Apparently, Ian Somerhalder (LOST, Vampire Diaries) and also did the People Magazine photoshoot, has 8 animals , including (at least) one lovely orange cat who he refers to as his kid.

While I don't watch the shows he's on, I have to appreciate a fellow animal lover.

That is cool. :) I just found out that Sean Connery and George Clooney are lifelong cat lovers too. :) Both also love dogs. Clooney is a huge animal lover.

Way back....

tumblr_md4vkpBIY51qefgdko1_1280.jpg

Now:

seanconnerykitten.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Siete is getting very pissy lately. He attacked Dante last night for the first time in a very long time. I would see the occasional swat from time to time, but no cat screaming or fur flying. Last night, they got into it but nobody was hurt. And he is starting to "hunt" Fisher. No physical fights, just posturing, but Fisher is upset by it and so am I. :(

Anybody offer advice on playing with my cats? Should this be done every day and for how long? Things I am reading online say that these cats might not be getting enough playtime to work out aggression. Both Fisher and Siete respond to wand toys, strings, catnip, and only Fisher responds to the laser toy. Dante only responds to string, the Cat Dancer and catnip. I cant get him to play with the wand toys, and he ignores the laser toy too. :( He needs to work out in addition to staying on his high protein low carb diet.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I think you need the return of the nerf gun. Cedric does that to Shyla sometimes, shoot seite when he is going all stalker mode. I think what you really need though, is a few trips to the outside world to burn some of that excess energy off. Playing is all well and good for bonding and stuff, but it does not beat running around and climbing tree's and such.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think you need the return of the nerf gun. Cedric does that to Shyla sometimes, shoot seite when he is going all stalker mode. I think what you really need though, is a few trips to the outside world to burn some of that excess energy off. Playing is all well and good for bonding and stuff, but it does not beat running around and climbing tree's and such.

How can I do that safely? I have thru streets on both sides of the building, a pool, and there are single family homes with fenced yards that I cannot access if Siete decides he wants to explore them. Im just to afraid something might happen to him. I let him out inside the inner court of the building, but there is no yard there and there is already another cat out there from another neighbor and she is much smaller than Siete.

I have a cat harness, but I have yet to get Siete to allow me to put it on him. But Im gonna try. :)

B

Backstep

How can I do that safely? I have thru streets on both sides of the building, a pool, and there are single family homes with fenced yards that I cannot access if Siete decides he wants to explore them. Im just to afraid something might happen to him. I let him out inside the inner court of the building, but there is no yard there and there is already another cat out there from another neighbor and she is much smaller than Siete.

I have a cat harness, but I have yet to get Siete to allow me to put it on him. But Im gonna try. :)

Have you tried the most irresistible cat toy, cardboard box and cardboard tube? Then there is paper bag.

http://voices.yahoo.com/cardboard-box-cat-bed-toy-station-12255646.html

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member