Cat Lovers Thread

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
DUDE
MY arms are darker than that right now!! (just don't ask about my legs, I could frigging blind you :lol:)
I dunno if it was shadow in the pic you posted, but, you be black in that one brother :D

It is shadow. That pic was taken without flash, by the light of my TV set using the front facing camera on my phone. :) My face is the same color as my arm.

She did, otherwise he would not be so balanced.
Never jump on the "I play more therefore I am better with animals" train, She gave him what he wanted, and you just happen to give him what he wants now.

Perhaps, but it was more that she had Bella (her Yorkie), and Bella and Siete were best buddies. Even closer than Dante and Siete. I have only seen Siete try and groom Dante maybe twice...but he would groom Bella every day. They would play together, eat together and hang out together. I would find little Bella curled up with Siete in a fur ball sometimes. Sherry is a very loving person and she probably did love Siete. But she was quick to tell me she would put him in a shelter when she had to move! She had already thrown her hands up with Dante, and Dante is also a lovebug. He is the clingy one, and he gets in my lap and snuggles with me every night. He was 100% outdoor when I moved in with Sherry (cause she kicked him out). He is the sweetest, most well adjusted cat of the three. If he were a human, he would be soft-spoken and sensitive like a poet or an artist. Siete would be a bar hopping man's man chasing women, and Fisher would be a militant participating in the Occupy movement. :anim_59:

He wants to be with you, make sure you are ok, you are the "pet" in his mind, not the other way around :P

Yes, he does. :) He is never more than about 3 feet away from me when I am home. He is always nearby, "helping" me. He loves being held and when he is sitting on the couch or within paw's reach, he will extend his paw to "hold me down". :)

For all their arrogance, cats really CARE about people, even if it comes from a selfish place sometimes. If Mike is housebound to an extent, you should let Siete just go when he wishes, and enjoy the company.

THIS! Once when I was at Sherry's house, I was eating and choked on a piece of food. Siete saw this and gave me the most shocking "WHAT"S WRONG?!" look I have ever seen in a pet. He was leaning forward as if to say "Are you OK?". Amazing. He also runs to me if I say "ouch" or hurt myself.

Good choice, they are great cats. Most of mine have been long haired Persian mixes (I like fluffball cats, what can I say :P ) and they tend to be pretty "cluey" about people, far moreso than domestic shorthairs.

Persians are cool too. So people friendly! But I think I am in love with the big, friendly Maine Coon. They make the most interesting sounds for a cat. They "trill" a lot.

Last edited:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I have to laugh whenever I hear people talk about "owning" cats, as I tend to feel it's the other way round. If any of your cats didn't like the situation, they'd find a way to get the hell out and find someone else more amenable to training.

One of our cats was an itty bitty feral kitten when we got him. When people would come to the house, he'd fluff up and walk TOWARD the door to find out who was there (rather than running away and hiding). We also have a white cat who came from someone I've known for a long time who has managed to raise little freaks of cats who run and hide whenever someone else comes over to visit. It's really annoying, actually.

The male is the one who helped to raise the dogs. He's best buds with the younger of the two dogs, and they play (roughly) daily. Almost invariably, he'll let the dog "win", too, even though he's easily twice her size.
IMG_1585.JPG

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This video was taken in 2012 when Siete and Bella (Sherry Jackson's yorkie) were living together. I got it with my cellphone. Siete has known this dog since it was a puppy and basically raised it. Siete would frequently groom the dog and they slept curled together in a ball. This video is one of their typical play sessions. :) As you can see, Siete is much bigger than Bella, but he does not take advantage of it. I absolutely love that cat and now he is mine. :)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Amazingly, since December 26, all three cats have ceased any hostilities towards each other. It looks permanent. :) Siete and Dante never had an issue, but brave little Fisher was left outside of the club for a whole year. Now, he is sleeping with them, eating with them and hanging out with them daily. Entire dynamics have changed. Fisher can freely use all of the litter boxes and eat from any of the food dishes (there are three in the apartment). Evidently the other two cats have given Fisher timeshare privileges on some choice perches he was never allowed to be on. I find him chilling out on the choice window perch next to my front door after 1:00am which was already being shared by Siete and Dante on a timeshare basis. :cat:

Something else, I notice that the cats sniff the sleeping spots and perches before they lay down, and they sometime lay exactly on the spot where you saw the previous cat. I guess I can see this because I have three cats instead of one or two? Whatever cat is there at the time will rub his cheeks on the spot and mingle his scent in with the other two cats. Whatever is going on, it is great to see Fisher finally living a low stress life with my other two felines. No more hiding under the couch all day, or holding up in his "safe spot" from his isolation days last year. I have even started keeping that cabinet door closed because Fisher is no longer using that spot. I will leave his bed in place just in case he wants to check it out. But he can jump on the bed, walk past Siete without getting swiped or hissed at. Dante has fully accepted him and will allow Fisher to plop down right next to him and hang out.

Right now, they are all three sleeping peacefully together on my bed about 12 inches apart from each other and I am off to work. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
YAY! I get to telecommute today. :) So, Im back home. Cats are confused...but I just snapped this pic of Siete right next to Fisher. Siete is on his back, with his eyes covered, and Fisher is less than a foot away and he is grooming (a relaxed behavior). This cant be interpreted as anything but a new trust between these two previously battling cats. My neighbor said this would never happen because Fisher was such a cat from hell when I adopted him last year. But take a look:

2014-01-10 10.03.38.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Came across this old photo of our white one when she was still a kitten, but already too big for the inbox on top of my desk...
View attachment 29262

What's her name? She is awesome! I was just coming back to post this vid of a Maine Coon playing fetch like a dog. My Siete does this sometimes too, and it is also a foam ball like in this video:

I know fetch is over when he just looks at the ball and lays down. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
What's her name? She is awesome! I was just coming back to post this vid of a Maine Coon playing fetch like a dog. My Siete does this sometimes too, and it is also a foam ball like in this video:

I know fetch is over when he just looks at the ball and lays down. :)
Her name is Pixel. She fetches plastic bits. Her favorite plastic bits are the plastic wrappers for quarters.

And a very old pic of Abs and Jeff when Abby was all of 10 weeks old and had already won over our household Evil Old Man. (we'd had her for all of a week at the time this picture was taken)
AandJresized.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Her name is Pixel. She fetches plastic bits. Her favorite plastic bits are the plastic wrappers for quarters.

And a very old pic of Abs and Jeff when Abby was all of 10 weeks old and had already won over our household Evil Old Man. (we'd had her for all of a week at the time this picture was taken)
View attachment 29263

OMG...cute overload! :encouragement:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wait....cats like music? Found this out by accident. :) So, I always play ambient sounds from Atmosphere Deluxe (http://www.vectormediasoftware.com/atmdeluxehome.htm). I use it to sleep with and to meditate with. It plays infinite loops of nature sounds and ambient collections of sounds, plus you can make your own. You can schedule it to change scenarios based on the time of day. In the morning, I have a Summer Meadow which is birds and a soft breeze and such. In the afternoon, it is gentle Ocean with seagulls and even a campfire crackling. At night, it is Forest Night with crickets and night sounds like the occasional owl. It gives my place a very outdoor feel, because the volume of this program is way down low, just above the perceptual threshold.

Anyway, I was listening to some music on my phone without the headset, and I was walking around with it. Fisher was following me around while I was doing this and I went into the bathroom and he flopped down while I was sitting there listening to the music. Then I left there and went into the livingroom and laid my phone down on the table. Fisher jumped up there and laid down right on top of the phone, rolling on it like it was catnip. :anim_59:. I have now put a small radio inside of one of the cat houses in the cat tree and he is in there lying next to it listening to the music. Trippiest thing I ever saw! My first cat Felix hated music. perhaps he didnt like what I was playing? I wonder if cats actually have preferences in what they listen to?

During my search for information on this, I found this video:

Fisher acts just like that when he is listening to the music. It is a classical station I listen to (KUSC). Interesting! So, I have a TV watching cat (Siete), and a music fan (Fisher). What is Dante's special feline pleasure?

Every day now, after I make up the bed this little meeting happens and I go off to work. AMAZING. I wonder if there is a cat treaty they have agreed upon or something.

2014-01-12 16.07.17.jpg

Seeing this is still a shock after what I have been through for the past year. Siete cut Fisher pretty bad with a sharp claw a couple of months ago and although it healed, it worried me. Now, they never fight.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Was feeling crummy today and Jeff came over to cuddle against me. As he's not a particularly social cat, I know that it was something special.

He can really surprise me at times. Underneath his curmudgeonly exterior, he's got a sweet spot inside there, somewhere.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My neighbor Mike called to tell me Siete was crying for me. He sits in the window by the door and talks to my neighbors. But he really likes Mike my veteran neighbor. I feel bad sometimes but he has Dante and Fisher. Such a dedicated cat. I love that big guy. :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Was feeling crummy today and Jeff came over to cuddle against me. As he's not a particularly social cat, I know that it was something special.

He can really surprise me at times. Underneath his curmudgeonly exterior, he's got a sweet spot inside there, somewhere.

Why do you call him curmudgeonly? He is a hider or an anti-social cat? Just curious. :) Dante is very picky with who he will come out of the bedroom for. He stays in there mostly all day because everything he needs is in there and the other cats leave it to him. Anyway, he only likes my neighbor Mike and my blonde neighbor Lila from upstairs. Otherwise, he ignores everyone else. Fisher now hangs out with Dante in the bedroom, and before that he was hiding all day alone.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Why do you call him curmudgeonly? He is a hider or an anti-social cat? Just curious. :) Dante is very picky with who he will come out of the bedroom for. He stays in there mostly all day because everything he needs is in there and the other cats leave it to him. Anyway, he only likes my neighbor Mike and my blonde neighbor Lila from upstairs. Otherwise, he ignores everyone else. Fisher now hangs out with Dante in the bedroom, and before that he was hiding all day alone.
He only likes being touched for so long before he becomes evil and hisses and/or tries to bite. If one is smart, one never tries to pet his belly. Well, unless one has decided that only having the full use of one hand is acceptable.