Cat Lovers Thread

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Charcoal Grew Russian Blue

Beautiful cats! My sister had one of those...sable gray with bright yellow eyes. :) Better break out that phone or camera and post some pics/video on here! :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Most of the cats I have ever had have been the same dude.

If I had been able to choose, that is the way I would have gone. But these were Sherry's cats (Siete and Dante), and both are distinct breeds. Fisher is a pure Asian Smoke (Burmese), and Siete is Maine Coon. Dante is an American Domestic Shorthair. The more refined breeds have special issues. Fisher has respiratory issues, but it evidently comes with the breed. Maine Coons are exceptionally vocal and they are very large (as large as a medium sized dog). Dante is the only "normal" cat I have. :) Besides his weight issue, he is Average Joe Cat. He is a bit clingy though.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude, get a kitten.

no-vacancy.jpg

Im all catted up now. :) I never planned on THREE cats, and two was enough. But, at about 8 years old each, I have at least 8 more years before one of them passes, so I cant get a kitten. :( But I still melt when I see a cute one at Petsmart when I am buying stuff for my cats and fish.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Dude, 16 years is a damn stretch for an outdoor cat, let alone a housecat. I would realistically be looking at 5 years at best, and everything else being a bonus. My first cat (who lives at my parents house) is 14, and he is looking VERY ragged now. Personally, I don't think he will see out this year, which sorta worries me as he attached himself to my Nan more than me, and she is getting quite tired of life as well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude, 16 years is a damn stretch for an outdoor cat, let alone a housecat. I would realistically be looking at 5 years at best, and everything else being a bonus. My first cat (who lives at my parents house) is 14, and he is looking VERY ragged now. Personally, I don't think he will see out this year, which sorta worries me as he attached himself to my Nan more than me, and she is getting quite tired of life as well.

Indoor cats live much longer than outdoor cats. :) My neighbor's cat is also 14 years, but she is fine. She moves slower than my cats, and she has gray hair but she is healthy and active. Im gonna hurt when one of my boys passes. :( I love these cats.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Indoor cats live much longer than outdoor cats. :) My neighbor's cat is also 14 years, but she is fine. She moves slower than my cats, and she has gray hair but she is healthy and active. Im gonna hurt when one of my boys passes. :( I love these cats.

Trust your research, or trust someone who has always had cats, your call dude.
Smokey (who was the family cat we got when I was born) lived till she was 17, and she was a combination inside at night, outside by day cat, and she only died because she developed a brain tumor. (oh, she was older, and crotchety, but she was still *herself* up until the very end)

I am not trying to "piss on your parade", not by any stretch, but EVERY cat I know has lived longer as a "combo-cat" simply because there is more to "hold their interest" in the outside world, just like people. Give it 2-3 years, but I really, really suggest getting a kitten, because being able to "train an new master for you" will keep THEM (your brood) younger. They are not so different from us in that regard.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
A friend of mine has a 16 year old cat, and when I was at the vet the other day, a woman there had brought in her 13 year old cat for a checkup.

With proper veterinary care, an indoor cat can very easily live well into its teens.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Cats can live into their 20's under the right conditions, but it is rare.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Trust your research, or trust someone who has always had cats, your call dude.
Smokey (who was the family cat we got when I was born) lived till she was 17, and she was a combination inside at night, outside by day cat, and she only died because she developed a brain tumor. (oh, she was older, and crotchety, but she was still *herself* up until the very end)

I am not trying to "piss on your parade", not by any stretch, but EVERY cat I know has lived longer as a "combo-cat" simply because there is more to "hold their interest" in the outside world, just like people. Give it 2-3 years, but I really, really suggest getting a kitten, because being able to "train an new master for you" will keep THEM (your brood) younger. They are not so different from us in that regard.

Im just going by the ASPCA data I have read, as far as indoor cats living longer than outdoor cats or combo outdoor/indoor:

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/features/should-you-have-an-indoor-cat-or-an-outdoor-cat

The consensus among veterinarians and organizations such as the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) is that it’s wiser to keep cats indoors. “Considering the potential dangers outdoors, an indoor lifestyle is much safer for cats,” Brunt says. “Indoor cats have a much lower likelihood of becoming hurt or ill from outdoor hazards.”

As evidence, indoor cats live longer than their outdoor counterparts. Cats who are kept indoors can reach the ripe old age of 17 or more years, whereas outdoor cats live an average of just two to five years. Another reason for indoor cats’ longevity is that it’s easier for their owners to identify health problems early, before they become life threatening.

Before I had these cats, I had another cat when I was in my 20s. He was a huge cat and had the coolest personality ever. But when he died I was devastated and told myself I would never be owned by another cat. I discussed this with Illiterati before I ended up with Sherry's cats. :) But Felix was an indoor outdoor cat.

As far as the kitten, although it might appear that I am the male version of a cat lady, I really am not. :) Im a sensible, regular guy! Four cats is too many even for an animal lover like me. So far, no females have reacted negatively to me having three cats, because I told them before they ever saw the cats. My best friend however, was shocked that I would decide to have ANY cats, so when I ended up with three of them, he was shocked. But he is my best friend so none of that matters. He is not that responsive to cats, so of course they want to be all over him. :anim_59:

If I didnt have three cats, a kitten could tempt me. :) I am not sure I would have had any cats at all if Siete had not adopted me when I was living with Sherry. He is such a love bug and his personality is so unique, he was irresistible. Dante got in because he was Siete's friend. If I never had met these cats I might not have small pride of cats in my apartment. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Im just going by the ASPCA data I have read, as far as indoor cats living longer than outdoor cats or combo outdoor/indoor:

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/features/should-you-have-an-indoor-cat-or-an-outdoor-cat
Note what they are speaking about however, THREATS. I have little doubt that in a built up area, an indoor cat has a greater chance of survival, cause, ya know, there are no cars on the 5th floor :lol:
If you look at long lived felines however, they are mostly outdoors for a long time, even if it is just to lounge around in the sun after their servant has fed them :P
Before I had these cats, I had another cat when I was in my 20s. He was a huge cat and had the coolest personality ever. But when he died I was devastated and told myself I would never be owned by another cat. I discussed this with Illiterati before I ended up with Sherry's cats. :) But Felix was an indoor outdoor cat.
Well, that's more a fear of loss and hurt, and I don't blame you for that in the slightest. The cat that sits on your chest, purring because it is happy is a hard thing to replace. That little sound fills you with.........love, much like hearing a child when you tickle them (and there is NO better sound, believe me)
As far as the kitten, although it might appear that I am the male version of a cat lady, I really am not. :)
I don't think you are a cat lady, I just think you like the company.
Im a sensible, regular guy! Four cats is too many even for an animal lover like me. So far, no females have reacted negatively to me having three cats, because I told them before they ever saw the cats. My best friend however, was shocked that I would decide to have ANY cats, so when I ended up with three of them, he was shocked. But he is my best friend so none of that matters. He is not that responsive to cats, so of course they want to be all over him. :anim_59:
Don't get a kitten now, get one in 3-5 years, when yours are getting tired, or when THEY loose one of their friends. I am not suggesting you have 4 cats, I am suggesting a kitten is a good way to keep your other cats young. It forces them to play, and to engage rather than being old, crotchety pricks.
If I didnt have three cats, a kitten could tempt me. :) I am not sure I would have had any cats at all if Siete had not adopted me when I was living with Sherry. He is such a love bug and his personality is so unique, he was irresistible. Dante got in because he was Siete's friend. If I never had met these cats I might not have small pride of cats in my apartment. :)
You learned to be a parent, a little late, but that's ok.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Note what they are speaking about however, THREATS. I have little doubt that in a built up area, an indoor cat has a greater chance of survival, cause, ya know, there are no cars on the 5th floor :lol:
If you look at long lived felines however, they are mostly outdoors for a long time, even if it is just to lounge around in the sun after their servant has fed them :P

Im not sure...I am constantly looking for insights and tips. I notice the commonality of cats now because I have more than one of them. Felix was my first cat and I had no other cats to compare him to. He was so crazy. :) He would have loved Siete who is also crazy. But the differences between my cats are their personalities, yet many things they do are common between them.

Well, that's more a fear of loss and hurt, and I don't blame you for that in the slightest. The cat that sits on your chest, purring because it is happy is a hard thing to replace. That little sound fills you with.........love, much like hearing a child when you tickle them (and there is NO better sound, believe me)

It is cathartic. I look forward to seeing them when I come home, and they are waiting for me.

I don't think you are a cat lady, I just think you like the company.

Yep. And cats are so much more interactive than fish are! :anim_59: Now, I cant imagine not being owned by at least one cat. And watching the cats from remote (I have cameras I can remote to in my place), I see that it would probably be cruel to have just ONE cat. Although, two would have been sufficient.

Don't get a kitten now, get one in 3-5 years, when yours are getting tired, or when THEY loose one of their friends. I am not suggesting you have 4 cats, I am suggesting a kitten is a good way to keep your other cats young. It forces them to play, and to engage rather than being old, crotchety pricks.

I think this is good advice. It is hard to guess which one will go first, but when he dies will I just keep two until a second one dies and end up with just two? When I moved into my place, it was allowed to have up to two cats with an additional deposit for each cat. When I got Fisher, the landlords allowed me to keep three cats because they saw how I kept my place with two (very tidy and clean). Still, most places will not allow three cats. :( I figure that in the next 8 years, I will probably move.

You learned to be a parent, a little late, but that's ok.

Siete did it!

siete.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Siete looks like my Smokey that I grew up with. :) :(

He is a big, loud affectionate lovebug of a cat. He is a lot like a dog in his personality, and that is evidently part of the Maine Coon attraction. But the bond I have with this cat...he would be the one I would keep if I was forced to have only one cat.

As I type this, he is sitting right behind my head on the top of the couch. Just snapped this with my front facing phone camera:

siete2.jpg

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
OFF TOPIC
Did you ever notice you arms look like a white dude, yet your face looks more like a black dude?? You are actually darker than I thought you were :P

ON TOPIC.
Maine Coons are known for their "empathy" so the fact that if you were *forced* to make a choice it would be him is not a real surprise to me. He has probably imprinted on you quite a lot by now, moreso than a lot of other breeds can.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OFF TOPIC
Did you ever notice you arms look like a white dude, yet your face looks more like a black dude?? You are actually darker than I thought you were :P

Not only that, but my skin color is "seasonal". I am lighter in the winter, and darker in the summer, with the awkward "in between" look during the change. My exposed skin will darken whilst my legs and arms wont darken until I get some sun. The picture of Dante on the couch was taken in the daytime, and the recent pictures of Siete were taken in the dim light of my livingroom. This is a picture of my arm in the bathroom light:

2014-01-07 00.33.45.jpg

ON TOPIC.
Maine Coons are known for their "empathy" so the fact that if you were *forced* to make a choice it would be him is not a real surprise to me. He has probably imprinted on you quite a lot by now, moreso than a lot of other breeds can.

Yes, he is imprinted heavily on me. Sherry never could give this special cat the attention and love he deserved. That was one of the reasons he would ask her to be let out. He asks me too, and I actually do let him out but I go out with him (usually to smoke). He is good to obey me when I say he cant go to the gate or under the stairs, and he always comes to me when I call him. He "owns" all the humans in the building (about 20 people total), and he recognizes the voices of many of them. He will follow the voices to the apartments they are coming out of. My veteran neighbor Mike loves Siete. He speaks to him through the window when I am at work, and whenever he hears Mike's voice he will jump to the window. When I go over to Mike's place, he wants to come along and Mike allows him.

I think if I get a kitten later, it will be a Maine Coon. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Not only that, but my skin color is "seasonal". I am lighter in the winter, and darker in the summer, with the awkward "in between" look during the change. My exposed skin will darken whilst my legs and arms wont darken until I get some sun. The picture of Dante on the couch was taken in the daytime, and the recent pictures of Siete were taken in the dim light of my livingroom. This is a picture of my arm in the bathroom light:

View attachment 29227
DUDE
MY arms are darker than that right now!! (just don't ask about my legs, I could frigging blind you :lol:)
I dunno if it was shadow in the pic you posted, but, you be black in that one brother :D

Yes, he is imprinted heavily on me. Sherry never could give this special cat the attention and love he deserved.
She did, otherwise he would not be so balanced.
Never jump on the "I play more therefore I am better with animals" train, She gave him what he wanted, and you just happen to give him what he wants now.

That was one of the reasons he would ask her to be let out. He asks me too, and I actually do let him out but I go out with him (usually to smoke). He is good to obey me when I say he cant go to the gate or under the stairs, and he always comes to me when I call him.
He wants to be with you, make sure you are ok, you are the "pet" in his mind, not the other way around :P

He "owns" all the humans in the building (about 20 people total), and he recognizes the voices of many of them. He will follow the voices to the apartments they are coming out of. My veteran neighbor Mike loves Siete. He speaks to him through the window when I am at work, and whenever he hears Mike's voice he will jump to the window. When I go over to Mike's place, he wants to come along and Mike allows him.
For all their arrogance, cats really CARE about people, even if it comes from a selfish place sometimes. If Mike is housebound to an extent, you should let Siete just go when he wishes, and enjoy the company.

I think if I get a kitten later, it will be a Maine Coon. :)
Good choice, they are great cats. Most of mine have been long haired Persian mixes (I like fluffball cats, what can I say :P ) and they tend to be pretty "cluey" about people, far moreso than domestic shorthairs.