Cat Lovers Thread

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Jeff gets into bed at night next to me and takes up "his" side of things, but always close to me. Pix will eventually jump onto me and fall asleep stretched out across me. The dog sleeps under the covers next my leg.

Pixel looks like a mischievous cat. :) Does she get along with Abby like Jeff does? How about her and Jeff?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
There is a similar situation with Pixel and the gal I got her from. While the woman raised her and had her until she was nearly 4 months old, the cat now wants nothing to do with her. When the woman shows up, the cat hides and waits until she leave before she comes out again.

Somehow, this woman has managed to raise little freak-out cats that disappear whenever anyone other than this woman enters the house. They stay in hiding until it's just her again.

She's currently got SEVEN cats in her tiny apartment. I just can't understand having that damn many cats. As she feeds them both canned and dry food, that's also too damned much money to spend for someone living on social security (and not much of that, either).

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Pixel looks like a mischievous cat. :) Does she get along with Abby like Jeff does? How about her and Jeff?
Pixel is my fetch playing kitty. She and Jeff have an odd relationship. Every so often, he'll decide he has to chase/attack her, at which point the dogs both jump up and rush to break it up in whatever room it's happening in.

She's more of a people cat.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
An Oregon man has contracted the plague -- a disease that killed a third of Europe's population during the Black Death pandemic in the 14th century -- from a cat bite, public health officials have confirmed.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/16/oregon-man-gets-the-plague-from-cat-bite

If you were bitten by a cat that got the plague from a flea and you bit somebody (heY, its just a whatif :)), you would pasS it on. Cats do not carry plague, fleas do. The carriers of the plague got it from fleas riding on rats.

And the cat probably contracted it from an infected flea from an infected rodent, just like in the bad old days.

And the story is from 2012.

Yep. This article tells how that works:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/02/dogs-fleas-plague/

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There is a similar situation with Pixel and the gal I got her from. While the woman raised her and had her until she was nearly 4 months old, the cat now wants nothing to do with her. When the woman shows up, the cat hides and waits until she leave before she comes out again.

Somehow, this woman has managed to raise little freak-out cats that disappear whenever anyone other than this woman enters the house. They stay in hiding until it's just her again.

She's currently got SEVEN cats in her tiny apartment. I just can't understand having that damn many cats. As she feeds them both canned and dry food, that's also too damned much money to spend for someone living on social security (and not much of that, either).

WHAT? That leans heavily into "irresponsible" territory. I still think three cats is a bit much, and although I make good money I still make my own wet cat food and buy my dry cat food online to keep costs down. I have not yet calculated what it costs me to have these cats, but it isnt much. Raw turkey, the powdered raw food supplement, dry grain-free cat food from Blue Buffalo and the biggie...cat litter. Even I dont want more than three cats. Has she thought of re-homing any of these cats? How many litter boxes does she have? I have to clean all four litterboxes every day to have no smell at all of kitty pee in my place. The poo gets cleaned out immediately if I can smell it, even if I have just cleaned the box (the cats favorite time to soil it).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Pixel is my fetch playing kitty. She and Jeff have an odd relationship. Every so often, he'll decide he has to chase/attack her, at which point the dogs both jump up and rush to break it up in whatever room it's happening in.

She's more of a people cat.

I have been trying to get Siete to play fetch, and he is not quite understanding that he needs to being the ball back to me every time. :) Siete is my people cat. He loves humans, and his goal is to add all of them to his estate assets list. :) My window by the door faces the common walkway and the base of the stairs which lead to the upstairs apartments so he gets to see and talk to every human who lives in the building. He meows loudly and because he is one of those cats who lift one of their paws when they want attention, it appears to them that Siete is "waving hi" to them. They love this cat too. :) The ones who talk back to him, he can recognize their voices and will go to the window if he hears them. Im gonna catch his big cat vocalizing on video..he is loud and demanding. But it is cute as hell. :)

Dante is a people cat, but he is picky with his humans. He will hide first, then sneak into the hallway where he can see my guests from afar (a recon mission), if he likes the vibe, he will come out and climb into my lap. Once there, he feels safe but can check out my friends. If he decides he likes them, he will move into one of their laps (if they allow). Fisher only seems to like me, but he will sometimes sit in the window and watch people on the street. He is the only cat who is not freaked out by the sound of cars or trucks or Harleys. Those sounds will send my other two cats scrambling for hiding spaces.

Last edited:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
WHAT? That leans heavily into "irresponsible" territory. I still think three cats is a bit much, and although I make good money I still make my own wet cat food and buy my dry cat food online to keep costs down. I have not yet calculated what it costs me to have these cats, but it isnt much. Raw turkey, the powdered raw food supplement, dry grain-free cat food from Blue Buffalo and the biggie...cat litter. Even I dont want more than three cats. Has she thought of re-homing any of these cats? How many litter boxes does she have? I have to clean all four litterboxes every day to have no smell at all of kitty pee in my place. The poo gets cleaned out immediately if I can smell it, even if I have just cleaned the box (the cats favorite time to soil it).
She's got four litter boxes, I think, and no, she's not looking at rehoming them. Should I mention that she's in Section 8 housing?

I use flushable cat litter. It's more expensive, but I can't really haul bags of the stinky used stuff around. It's fine enough that it flushes very easily. I order it from Amazon.com on one of their subscription programs.

As for soiling, the kids almost seem to have a competition as to who can decorate it first.

<le sigh>

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I have been trying to get Siete to play fetch, and he is not quite understanding that he needs to being the ball back to me every time. :) Siete is my people cat. He loves humans, and his goal is to add all of them to his estate assets list. :) My window by the door faces the common walkway and the base of the stairs which lead to the upstairs apartments so he gets to see and talk to every human who lives in the building. He meows loudly and because he is one of those cats who lift one of their paws when they want attention, it appears to them that Siete is "waving hi" to them. They love this cat too. :) The ones who talk back to him, he can recognize their voices and will go to the window if he hears them. Im gonna catch his big cat vocalizing on video..he is loud and demanding. But it is cute as hell. :)

Dante is a people cat, but he is picky with his humans. He will hide first, then sneak into the hallway where he can see my guests from afar (a recon mission), if he likes the vibe, he will come out and climb into my lap. Once there, he feels safe but can check out my friends. If he decides he likes them, he will move into one of their laps (if they allow). Fisher only seems to like me, but he will sometimes sit in the window and watch people on the street. He is the only cat who is not freaked out by the sound of cars or trucks or Harleys. Those sounds will send my other two cats scrambling for hiding spaces.
Pixel is especially fond of plastic coin wrappers. I put something in the center to weigh them down a bit, tie it in a knot around the weight, and then throw them all over. She's gotten really good at retrieving them from all sorts of places, high and low.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Pixel is especially fond of plastic coin wrappers. I put something in the center to weigh them down a bit, tie it in a knot around the weight, and then throw them all over. She's gotten really good at retrieving them from all sorts of places, high and low.

LOL! Who would have known? Siete's favorite toys are those black plastic twist ties that come off electrical stuff. The rubber insulated type. He will throw them up into the air, bat them around and chase them for hours. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
LOL! Who would have known? Siete's favorite toys are those black plastic twist ties that come off electrical stuff. The rubber insulated type. He will throw them up into the air, bat them around and chase them for hours. :)
I've thrown hers onto high shelves on bookshelves and she will climb up to get them...or go behind things to find them and bring them back to be thrown all over again.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I never had a kitten. :) Owners say that kittens form a closer bond with their humans than older cats who are adopted. I dunno about that! Kittens are so darned cute though...

View attachment 29220

This is my cat Dante snuggled in under my arm whilst I watch a movie. He gets there all by himself, through a complicated series of adjustments and positioning, until his head is nestled "just right" under my arm. I know he is done when he puts his paw across my chest. Then he starts purring until I notice he stops (because he has fallen asleep). He also does this at night.:)

View attachment 29219

Congratulations. You have earned your cat's love. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's round. It's either a boob or his belly. :icon_lol:

Belly. Im a bit preggo right now...need to lose 10 pounds. :) I went to put on my suit today and the slacks would not fit! (34"). I had to go to Kohl's and buy a pair of matching 36" waist slacks to wear with the jacket. :( THIRTY SIX INCHES! Im at 185lbs right now. Need to be at 175-180.

Bluce Ree

Weight is not your problem. Distribution of your weight is. You can either cut your food intake and slim down or you can do that other thing.

You know.

What's it called.

JOIN A GYM!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Weight is not your problem. Distribution of your weight is. You can either cut your food intake and slim down or you can do that other thing.

You know.

What's it called.

JOIN A GYM!

Im cheating royally on my low carb diet. :( I just re-stocked my low carb stuff today and I am back on track. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Diet alone just makes you skinny.

I would rather get back to skinny and then build up from that than carry this weight. I can actually feel the difference. Been this way since New Year's Day. :(

Bluce Ree

I would rather get back to skinny and then build up from that than carry this weight. I can actually feel the difference. Been this way since New Year's Day. :(

Or ... you can do both quite effectively combined with your diet.

Stop trying to justify your lazy ass.