THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
8B7A6D97-93BB-4AEF-A38A-201C1A779CD5.jpeg

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
First and last effen time I buy something from Amazonk . I first get an email saying my ordered is shipped . Then a few hours later I get an email from the seller informing me that they do not have season 1 and have refunded me what they hope will cover the cost of purchasing season 1 elsewhere but have shipped season 2 and 3 ffs ! I asked for the 3 season set. Not 2 season set bitch !!!
fukrs ... I cancelled the complete order even tho it has been shipped . No idea what happens now but amazon is never going to see my credit card ever again .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
First and last effen time I buy something from Amazonk . I first get an email saying my ordered is shipped . Then a few hours later I get an email from the seller informing me that they do not have season 1 and have refunded me what they hope will cover the cost of purchasing season 1 elsewhere but have shipped season 2 and 3 ffs ! I asked for the 3 season set. Not 2 season set bitch !!!
fukrs ... I cancelled the complete order even tho it has been shipped . No idea what happens now but amazon is never going to see my credit card ever again .

I love Amazon, but there are many things I will never buy on there, including any sort of media (books, video or music). Its just too easy to find it on the internet elsewhere...for free. But for shoes, appliances, and other stuff, I love it. They are actually very good on refunds.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What country are you trying from? I see The Expanse on Amazon Prime and it plays with no problems.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
What country are you trying from? I see The Expanse on Amazon Prime and it plays with no problems.
Canada . Amazon prime would not let one video play . I tried around 10 different shows and it kept tellng me to turn off my vpn or that this item is unavailable in your area . So I switched out the vpn locations from Canada to the USA and a few from Europe . Nothng would open and play . I also tried without the VPN and still not nothing would play . Also The Expanse was not on there list of shows to watch . So amazon can go stuff it .
I have zero issues with netflix . I can watch netflix from any location on the planet practically . I watched season 1&2 on Euro Netflix no problem .

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sounds like the VPN method does not work on Amazon. It knew you were in the US and as such they are still for now under the original distribution deal which says Netflix outside the USA and Amazon - SyFy in the USA.

Binged the first couple seasons on Amazon. I'm pretty sure the episodes were edited down to fit the SYFY hour long format though. I think they were longer when they were originally aired. No matter though as the show is still amazing. It's way better than the usual "science fiction" crap we get these days.

Oddly enough season 3 is behind a paywall and I'm not that interested in dropping $30 just to watch it. I don't know why that particular season is pay per view as Amazon should just run the whole damn thing. I'm sure I will catch up with the show eventually.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Binged the first couple seasons on Amazon. I'm pretty sure the episodes were edited down to fit the SYFY hour long format though. I think they were longer when they were originally aired. No matter though as the show is still amazing. It's way better than the usual "science fiction" crap we get these days.

Oddly enough season 3 is behind a paywall and I'm not that interested in dropping $30 just to watch it. I don't know why that particular season is pay per view as Amazon should just run the whole damn thing. I'm sure I will catch up with the show eventually.

Well, what is your overall impression? I think you have at least 4 people on here who think (as I do) that The Expanse is the best science fiction series ever produced for TV, and is the best show on television right now. I am totally, unabashedly a squeedrone for it and yeah, I dropped the $30.00 on the series too. :).

perfection.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Some thoughts on the story going on in the show....

Fans of Star Trek and Star Wars and to some degree Stargate, are used to seeing "aliens". I put that in quotes because in all of those shows the "aliens" are depicted more or less like humans, and frequently are able to speak English. You recognize them as aliens who are individuals and those shows gave them human values and morals and similar behaviors.

images.jpg is-worf-coming-back-to-star-trek-what-would-you-want-to-see-447890.jpg

The Expanse has had an alien (aliens?) in it since the first episode. The Proto Molecule is itself an alien, but it can create new aliens from existing creatures. It is fleshed out as both organic and yet artificial, having technical existence as well as biological. TRULY alien. It is curious and also immensely intelligent, and appears to be able to assimilate new knowledge and apply it to biological as well as inorganic resources. And the show makes it mysterious, benevolent and dangerous all at once. You never get to figure it out, even later on in the story (in the books). It has redefined what "alien" means to me in scifi.

a23c718eaa1bb13931278e5b62a847e8.jpg expfin.png

We will never see rubber faced aliens in this show. All the dialogue is between humans, yet the alien presence is always there too. The protomolecule can manifest human forms in the mind and communicate, but it never takes on a personality because its like, alien.

Last edited:
Well, what is your overall impression? I think you have at least 4 people on here who think (as I do) that The Expanse is the best science fiction series ever produced for TV, and is the best show on television right now. I am totally, unabashedly a squeedrone for it and yeah, I dropped the $30.00 on the series too. :).

Yes, the story is definitely science fiction. They did a great job of realism in regards to not just the tech but also the politics and even the "alien" stuff. The production is really well done and looks "big budget". I hope they can sustain a long run with the series.

It's great to have some genuine science fiction for once. Even the drama is informed by the scifi elements of the story. How many faux scifi shows have we seen over the years where the science aspects had almost nothing to do with the interpersonal drama?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I should also mention that I pretty much like all the characters. What I mean is that they all seem to work within the story. No one is super annoying (so far). Even the bad guys are interesting and have some depth. (My only criticism would be the whole Creole language thing they got going on. It seems overdone in spots.)

Yeah, I like a bit of everything in each of the characters. And I don't have to really think about suspending belief in this story. I agree that the whole Belters thing with the mishmash language was a bit over the top, it was still uniquely human and unfamiliar at the same time. It contrasted great with the more authoritarian Martian culture and also the plutocratic Earth culture. But is it still all Human culture tying it all together.

Please forgive my over the top praise of this show! :icon_redface: :anim_59:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, I like a bit of everything in each of the characters. And I don't have to really think about suspending belief in this story. I agree that the whole Belters thing with the mishmash language was a bit over the top, it was still uniquely human and unfamiliar at the same time. It contrasted great with the more authoritarian Martian culture and also the plutocratic Earth culture. But is it still all Human culture tying it all together.

You're such a fucking squeedrone. I wonder what the people over at theexpansesucks.com would have to say about you.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The only character right now I'm not so fond of is David Straithern, or whatever the actor's name is.

Yeah I can't really complain as the show is so well done. If the biggest issue is the language mishmash (as a way to denote class structure) I can easily live with that.

The original writer really did an amazing job in creating a believable futuristic world from top to bottom. It takes skill to create that many layers with countless characters all interacting in some way with each other, even if they are on different planets and don't meet face to face.

One more thing I should mention is the fidelity the writers have to respecting the physics of space travel. They constantly reference gravity and how it affects people on various worlds and also when they travel on space ships. From gravity boots to telling crew members to "belt in" when hitting the acceleration to Det. Miller getting sick when on a space ship -- this show kept it real. This might sound like a trivial point but it's an important acknowledgement of what space travel would probably be like on a day to day basis. It's great to have writers who don't treat the viewers like morons in this regard. :beckett_new049: