THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The only character right now I'm not so fond of is David Straithern, or whatever the actor's name is.

That is Ashford (Klaes Ashford). He is from the Belters, and is the closest thing they have to a General, although Drummer is the one with the real power. He is an asshole, but he plays his part like it portrays him in the books.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You're such a fucking squeedrone. I wonder what the people over at theexpansesucks.com would have to say about you.

Guilty as charged. :smiley_joy: If only such a site existed, they would probably label me as a rabid squeedrone. They would be right, except for the rabid part (at least for now :P). What's not to like about this show? Seriously, I have not read a single negative comment about this show from either critics or viewers.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
That is Ashford (Klaes Ashford). He is from the Belters, and is the closest thing they have to a General, although Drummer is the one with the real power. He is an asshole, but he plays his part like it portrays him in the books.
Yeah I'm sure he's an asshole because he's supposed to play the character that way, but there is something about his performance which I can't quite put my finger on which makes me deem it (the performance) slightly unbelievable.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I actually liked the way Straithern played Ashford. Sure he was an a*****e but ultimately he was on the right side. I liked the scene at the end where Drummer visits Ashford in the infirmary with a bottle of spirits and glasses.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah I'm sure he's an asshole because he's supposed to play the character that way, but there is something about his performance which I can't quite put my finger on which makes me deem it (the performance) slightly unbelievable.

The Belters are very tribal. At the root of Ashford's aggression is fear.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I actually liked the way Straithern played Ashford. Sure he was an a*****e but ultimately he was on the right side. I liked the scene at the end where Drummer visits Ashford in the infirmary with a bottle of spirits and glasses.

That was cool. :) And another example of where the series gives a bit more fleshing out of their relationship than in the book.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Unlike some of you , I was hooked completely after the sjw scream from Julie Mau . Every second after that , I was hooked . Never once not being impressed and in awe of such briliant wizardry of science fiction being put to screen from paper . I will be purchasing the novels very soon and enjoy the story once again from it's original source .
;)

Unlike some of you , I was hooked completely after the sjw scream from Julie Mau . Every second after that , I was hooked . Never once not being impressed and in awe of such briliant wizardry of science fiction being put to screen from paper . I will be purchasing the novels very soon and enjoy the story once again from it's original source .
;)

:icon_rotflmao:

;)

mySuperLamePic_ff2700e5b6416037913dbfc40f064ad6.jpg

Well, what is your overall impression? I think you have at least 4 people on here who think (as I do) that The Expanse is the best science fiction series ever produced for TV, and is the best show on television right now. I am totally, unabashedly a squeedrone for it and yeah, I dropped the $30.00 on the series too. :).

That's because you're "California rich", but us Belters don't have that kind of scrip to toss around. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's because you're "California rich", but us Belters don't have that kind of scrip to toss around. ;)

Its the first series I have ever purchased. But I also understand that for the show to continue it has to make money for Amazon. I suspect this show is being bought buy its fans and has NOTHING to worry about. $30.00 is equivalent to two movie tickets.

Its the first series I have ever purchased. But I also understand that for the show to continue it has to make money for Amazon. I suspect this show is being bought buy its fans and has NOTHING to worry about. $30.00 is equivalent to two movie tickets.

#1. Neither you nor I go to see movies in the theater anymore so that analogy is moot. ;) :icon_lol:

#2. I'm glad that Amazon has picked up this show but I'm confused as to why they are pricing it the way they are. Like I said, the first two seasons are free for Prime members but season 3 is pay per view. What I don't understand is how can they put out season 4 as a Prime offering but have season 3 be a paid offering? That doesn't make sense to me.

If they're planning to eventually make season 3 free with Prime why not just do it now? Or are they planning to make all the new seasons pay per view also? It's very confusing because I get all the Prime original stuff for the base price already. And Amazon is going to be producing the series from here onward which makes it an Amazon show now so why have it priced the way they do?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
#1. Neither you nor I go to see movies in the theater anymore so that analogy is moot. ;) :icon_lol:

#2. I'm glad that Amazon has picked up this show but I'm confused as to why they are pricing it the way they are. Like I said, the first two seasons are free for Prime members but season 3 is pay per view. What I don't understand is how can they put out season 4 as a Prime offering but have season 3 be a paid offering? That doesn't make sense to me.

If they're planning to eventually make season 3 free with Prime why not just do it now? Or are they planning to make all the new seasons pay per view also? It's very confusing because I get all the Prime original stuff for the base price already. And Amazon is going to be producing the series from here onward which makes it an Amazon show now so why have it priced the way they do?

Good points. Perhaps it's a test? Will people be willing to pay for a new series if they like it enough? The buyers of box sets and HD editions of older series are already doing this. How about new viewers? A show like this can make Amazon more money than any Hollywood blockbuster.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I suspect that any new season of The Expanse on Amazon will initially be pay per view and later on those seasons will be either free or heavily discounted. It's good for them to keep the first two seasons free so that people can watch those and get hooked. That is when they'll be willing to fork out cash for the rest of it, as is evidenced by @Overmind One's purchase.

I suspect that any new season of The Expanse on Amazon will initially be pay per view and later on those seasons will be either free or heavily discounted. It's good for them to keep the first two seasons free so that people can watch those and get hooked. That is when they'll be willing to fork out cash for the rest of it, as is evidenced by @Overmind One's purchase.

I'm not contesting your point but it's still confusing for me because they have a bunch of Prime originals that are included with the Prime subscription already, so why single out The Expanse? Additionally, seasons 1 and 2 are definitely edited down and don't contain all the original scenes so why should I pay for season 3 when chances are it is abridged also? (I'm assuming the seasons Amazon produces will be complete.)

*I think we're still in the early days of streaming services and they are still fleshing out how to do things. On one hand it's good to have an ala carte option but on the other hand it's annoying to be nickled and dimed for every show I want to see. What's the point of paying for a streaming service to begin with ($100 a year) if there's no difference compared to people who aren't subscribers and who can simply pay for the shows they want to see ala carte anyway?

**I'd be willing to pay a higher subscription fee to Amazon if they gave more access to better movies and shows. I don't know if they have that option yet to be honest. If not they really should. Don't make me pay a subscription fee and then dangle stuff in front of my face and tell me I have to pay even more for it. That's annoying.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Hmmm....this doesn't appeal to me much. Mostly because The Expanse is already a story and the roles and events are already written. It isn't like most other shows which can just make changes willy nilly and shift like a school of fish.