So how was your day?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Oh, ye of little imagination! I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a girl who has an uncle who knows a guy who knows a guy ... anyway, the end of that line concludes with a type of "ID". :D

Guido we know what your family connections are like....but are they willing to sacrifice a finger for verification? yep any question about the validity of the ID and the right forefinger is removed and sent with a copy of the ID for verification. If the ID proves okay they get a nice apology letter from the state and a coupon for a free order of chicken fingers! :biggrin:

G

Graybrew1

After a long day back dealing with business junk again, I find myself craving something sweet. It is both sad and good that I have none in my house at the time so I have to settle for an orange. :( Too bad I don't really like them. :culpability:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Guido we know what your family connections are like....but are they willing to sacrifice a finger for verification? yep any question about the validity of the ID and the right forefinger is removed and sent with a copy of the ID for verification. If the ID proves okay they get a nice apology letter from the state and a coupon for a free order of chicken fingers! :biggrin:

Substitute "sacrifice" for "acquire" and you have your answer. :D

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Hello all- it's been quite the past few weeks! I was sicker than a dog with my cold and then we got a midnight call from one of mr rac's bros (he has 2- one acceptable the other a total pain in the azz) about their dad. soooo an emergency trip to boston to decide what will happen with "dad"- he's 83 a total pain and in bad health. He's been hospitalized and is now in a rehab facility waiting for a room in a nursing home. So the house he bought in 1967 needs to be cleaned out- turns out the old goat had turned into quite the hoarder- well he'd always been one but his wife's death last year seemed to take the brakes off- he had trash neatly piled everywhere- get this- rinsed out bread bags neatly folded and stacked 2 feet high on the kitchen table, washed (yes WASHED) aluminum cans neatly stacked pyramid style to 4 and a half feet high. all with neat pathways through them- like you see in formal gardens (and to our right is the aluminis cannus from the early century period, see how neatly they stack, next to them is the oldus newspaperus - ironed no less.....) So after two and a half weeks and two filled dumpster roll-offs the house is mostly empty and will stay that way until it's sold. Mostly caught up on life in Indy now- just a few more days of craziness and i'll be back here more! :)

poundpuppy29

Scifi & Fantasy Junkie
Mine was ok

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hello all- it's been quite the past few weeks! I was sicker than a dog with my cold and then we got a midnight call from one of mr rac's bros (he has 2- one acceptable the other a total pain in the azz) about their dad. soooo an emergency trip to boston to decide what will happen with "dad"- he's 83 a total pain and in bad health. He's been hospitalized and is now in a rehab facility waiting for a room in a nursing home. So the house he bought in 1967 needs to be cleaned out- turns out the old goat had turned into quite the hoarder- well he'd always been one but his wife's death last year seemed to take the brakes off- he had trash neatly piled everywhere- get this- rinsed out bread bags neatly folded and stacked 2 feet high on the kitchen table, washed (yes WASHED) aluminum cans neatly stacked pyramid style to 4 and a half feet high. all with neat pathways through them- like you see in formal gardens (and to our right is the aluminis cannus from the early century period, see how neatly they stack, next to them is the oldus newspaperus - ironed no less.....) So after two and a half weeks and two filled dumpster roll-offs the house is mostly empty and will stay that way until it's sold. Mostly caught up on life in Indy now- just a few more days of craziness and i'll be back here more! :)

IRONED newspapers? My father used to do that too! I am glad you are back. :) At least the old guy was neat about his hoarding. But bread bags? They dont make very good trash bags, but grocery store bags do. :P Those thin plastic bags have saved me a fortune in small wastepaper basket bags. :anim_59:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
IRONED newspapers? My father used to do that too! I am glad you are back. :) At least the old guy was neat about his hoarding. But bread bags? They dont make very good trash bags, but grocery store bags do. :P Those thin plastic bags have saved me a fortune in small wastepaper basket bags. :anim_59:
Sweetie he never used ANY of it-- he was saving it incase he might need it! luckily he hadn't gone Howard Hughes on us! :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I hear that! :biggrin:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Sorry to hear about all the drama. It's too bad no one found out about the hoarding earlier. Does he have no friends at all who might have come over and noted that he was trying to "dig the Panama Canal"? (a la Teddy in "Arsenic and Old Lace").

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Sorry to hear about all the drama. It's too bad no one found out about the hoarding earlier. Does he have no friends at all who might have come over and noted that he was trying to "dig the Panama Canal"? (a la Teddy in "Arsenic and Old Lace").

the problem is he has NO friends and my bros in-law were only calling him on the phone to check on him (they live close to him -in neighboring towns)- it wasn't until he couldn't answer the phone that anyone went to his house- it had been over 9 months since they had seen him (and they are the "good" sons according to them!) So off to the hospital and then into rehab. he can walk 100 ft with a walker- that is it! Hubby and his sister (who both live far away- she's in Az now) are quite angry that their brothers weren't keeping an eye on him- after their mom died the brothers promised they would! :facepalm: dipshits the both of them! which is why we stayed to try to help clear out the house! :daniel01:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I've seen the hoarding thing several times now in both work situations and with friends of mine. I thank God everyday that it's not prevalent in my family. The last couple years my mom has been diligently cleaning out the family home so that when she passes us kids won't have to deal with a huge mess. She's actually become the opposite of a hoarder in many ways, which I appreciate.

Unfortunately it's the opposite with a good friend of mine who I think is slipping into becoming a hoarder. His father was and his brother definitely is. In fact, there isn't a flat surface in his brother's house anywhere as every area is covered in piles of junk. I'm not exaggerating, it's really that bad. I guess the hoarding thing really took off when his brother got divorced and his kids were grown and left the house. Now it's out of control but no one can say or do anything about it as this guy just doesn't care. The kicker is that these guys belong to a family of firefighters and they all know the hazards of living in hoarding situations, but it doesn't matter to them; they rationalize their hoarding behavior.

And the argument that hoarders are mostly old people who lived through the Great Depression and therefore don't throw anything away is a lot of nonsense. Just about every hoarder I've met was born in the 50's or later.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
My ex mother in law is a hoarder, but not a tidy one.

When she went on vacation with her husband and daughter for a week (and before I knew what a hoarder was), I thought I was going to do them a solid by cleaning their house. Imagine my surprise and outright shock when she became positively unglued by what I had done.

Last "nice" thing I ever did for that beyotch.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
My ex mother in law is a hoarder, but not a tidy one.

When she went on vacation with her husband and daughter for a week (and before I knew what a hoarder was), I thought I was going to do them a solid by cleaning their house. Imagine my surprise and outright shock when she became positively unglued by what I had done.

Last "nice" thing I ever did for that beyotch.

Yeah they do not like it when you mess with their junk. It has to be a mental disorder, no doubt about it. You can't reason with those types I've found. My friend for instance has been letting old newspapers pile up. Whenever I mention it to him he defensively claims that he hasn't had time to read them yet and will get around to it one day soon. Now, my friend is not the literary type, he's never cracked a book other than the required ones for school and that's it. He doesn't read the newspaper and the only reason he gets it is for the coupons and store ads. I know this for a fact. He just isn't the type to read an article yet he has this bizarre attachment to keeping newspapers.

He's also starting to do that thing where he doesn't throw out plastic butter containers and shit like that. When I question him about it he says that they're the perfect size for stuff to pack in his lunch. When I point out that he's got tons of them already plus an entire cabinet filled with various sized Tupperware containers he doesn't have a response for me.

And the weird thing is that he isn't a cheap ass; he makes good money and is generous with tossing it around, dinners, concerts, etc. So his need to save useless junk doesn't seem to be a matter of frugality. Like I said, there's something going on mentally there that has to be a disorder.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
From what I've read, a lot of hoarders are mainly 'OCD' types with other accompanying anxiety issues.

The old people and great depression thing is most likely true, but, it is also most likely OCD/Anxiety that was triggered by the experiences in the "big one" or the fear of it happening again.

my mom-born in '25-would grab everything she could from a restaurant; ketchup packs, sugar, salt and pepper packs, straws, napkins, plastic ware, etc, etc... She would also argue with any cashier over the value of coupons and if she got 'shorted' even a penny.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
From what I've read, a lot of hoarders are mainly 'OCD' types with other accompanying anxiety issues.

The old people and great depression thing is most likely true, but, it is also most likely OCD/Anxiety that was triggered by the experiences in the "big one" or the fear of it happening again.

my mom-born in '25-would grab everything she could from a restaurant; ketchup packs, sugar, salt and pepper packs, straws, napkins, plastic ware, etc, etc... She would also argue with any cashier over the value of coupons and if she got 'shorted' even a penny.
This is now referred to as "urban survival" tactics. Sad that our economy has pushed people to this point.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is now referred to as "urban survival" tactics. Sad that our economy has pushed people to this point.

Hey, we PAY for that shit! I went to a restaurant recently and all the condiments were no longer on the table. No salt or pepper shakers, no napkin dispensers, nothing. I even had to ask for water! But the prices were higher than the last time I went there. I damn well did ask for the water and all the condiments and I wrote a written complaint about the smaller portions of food. I am slowly eliminating my eat-out days because it is no longer a value. Convenience be damned. I can easily pack my lunch.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
LOL have you tried grocery shopping? one example- jello puddings USED to come in six packs and at around $2.50 were an acceptable lunch cost for hubby (he's diabetic so sugar free is what he gets) Now the same jello pudding cups are 4 packs yep that is right FOUR packs at the same cost six packs were- so buying generic pudding mix and making hunny his own puddings! that is just one thing! Don't let the politicans and press kid ya - inflation is sky high in the grocery stores!

My father in law was born in 1930- and yes hoarding is considered a form of OCD and tends to run in families. my hubby's eldest brother would be ahoarder if his wife let him- they have one shed in the back yard he can store whatever he wants in- that is it! since she's the breadwinner, he HAS to comply! ;)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
LOL have you tried grocery shopping? one example- jello puddings USED to come in six packs and at around $2.50 were an acceptable lunch cost for hubby (he's diabetic so sugar free is what he gets) Now the same jello pudding cups are 4 packs yep that is right FOUR packs at the same cost six packs were- so buying generic pudding mix and making hunny his own puddings! that is just one thing! Don't let the politicans and press kid ya - inflation is sky high in the grocery stores!

My father in law was born in 1930- and yes hoarding is considered a form of OCD and tends to run in families. my hubby's eldest brother would be ahoarder if his wife let him- they have one shed in the back yard he can store whatever he wants in- that is it! since she's the breadwinner, he HAS to comply! ;)
Just like you can't buy a "pound" of coffee anymore (in a can). Nor a gallon of ice cream

The bastards!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just like you can't buy a "pound" of coffee anymore (in a can). Nor a gallon of ice cream

The bastards!

You cant even buy a true PINT of Haagen Dazs anymore...its 14oz (there is a thread here). Even Premium saltines now come in a lame box with 6 small rows in it turned to the side. They think they are slick, but the total weight is 2oz less. Peanut butter, same thing. But they are the same price or HIGHER than before.