So how was your day?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
tumblr_m8yr2jzEOj1r4l42a.jpg

lady_maneth

Transmural feline
My day's been pretty good so far, with a long walk in the early winter sunshine. Did my civic duty and voted in our municipal elections.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Indeed. :D The day continues to be good, even if I'll have to do the weekly vacuuming in a while... Argh!

Then we're practically neighbours! (I'm Swedish myself) :icon_mrgreen: Well I don't envy you, I managed to get my weekly cleaning done on Friday, so at least I can just sit back and relax today.

lady_maneth

Transmural feline
We call it the duck pond here. You know the theory that 6 steps should be enough to connect two randomly chosen people with one another (six degrees of separation)? Here among the Swedish-speaking minority it's something like three steps. I know someone who knows someone else who knows someone else who knows the other randomly selected person.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
We call it the duck pond here. You know the theory that 6 steps should be enough to connect two randomly chosen people with one another (six degrees of separation)? Here among the Swedish-speaking minority it's something like three steps. I know someone who knows someone else who knows someone else who knows the other randomly selected person.

Even though I'm American, Paavo Nurmi, "The Flying Finn", is one of my heroes. :winking0052:

(Beat that ESA! :congratulatory:)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Cool!

Today's "fall back" day here in the EU, and we're putting up our Christmas lights!

Today it's "Trick or Treat" for Halloween so in a couple hours the streets will be crawling with kids dressed up in costumes looking for candy.

lady_maneth

Transmural feline
Do you like Halloween? Retailers are desperately trying to introduce it here as yet another holiday to grab people's money, but so far it hasn't caught on. That said, kids go trick-or-treating on Palm Sunday instead, usually with the girls dressed up as witches and the boys as rabbits or chickens.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Do you like Halloween? Retailers are desperately trying to introduce it here as yet another holiday to grab people's money, but so far it hasn't caught on. That said, kids go trick-or-treating on Palm Sunday instead, usually with the girls dressed up as witches and the boys as rabbits or chickens.

Halloween can be a blast but last few years I've been way too busy to enjoy it. As for the kids that go trick or treating the last couple years the crowds have been down in my neighborhood so that is okay with me. It means less door bell ringing to answer.

Plus it bugs me that parents drive van-loads of kids around to various neighborhoods. That's so lame. When I was a kid we had to walk to the neighborhoods we wanted to get candy in -- we had to work for it! (and the candy tasted better for it too!)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Gotta do Halloween the Coneheads way....Scrambled Eggs and Beer!!!

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Here's what I think you should do on Halloween: Buy loads of candy, go home and put it in a great big bowl, turn of all the lights, pretend that nobody's home when the kids come knocking, and then eat all the candy by yourself while watching a good horror film. :beckett_new049:

lady_maneth

Transmural feline
Sounds good to me ESA!

I'm surprised anyone lets their kids out to go trick-or-treating in the US these days.

The kids who beg for candy here are all pre-teens. What's the "appropriate age" for that in the US? People any age can dress up, but I'd expect someone who's old enough to drive is rather a sad sight begging for free candy...

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Halloween can be a blast but last few years I've been way too busy to enjoy it. As for the kids that go trick or treating the last couple years the crowds have been down in my neighborhood so that is okay with me. It means less door bell ringing to answer.

Plus it bugs me that parents drive van-loads of kids around to various neighborhoods. That's so lame. When I was a kid we had to walk to the neighborhoods we wanted to get candy in -- we had to work for it! (and the candy tasted better for it too!)

Agreed! Kids today are already spoiled enough as it is. Part of the fun when the kids ring the bell is trying to figure out who they are.

Meh, I think I'll just hand out apples this year....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Agreed! Kids today are already spoiled enough as it is. Part of the fun when the kids ring the bell is trying to figure out who they are.

Meh, I think I'll just hand out apples this year....

Yeah, and you have to PUT the candy in the bag and not hold the bowl out. They will actually pick through the candy and get only what they like! :icon_e_smile:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi OM!

That is why I suggested doing Halloween the Coneheads way!

G

Graybrew1

Landed in Dublin. Stood in long line for ATM. Had to call Hotel to find out where to get shuttle bus at. That was a hike. Got Shuttle bus and checked in to my Hotel. Unpaced a bit of stuff. Set up my free internet for smartphone and laptop. Debating on nap or watching some free stuff online. It is cold and damp here, I packed a lot of sweaters so I am perfectly fine with that. :smug: