Helix: Love it or Hate it? (Awards Given)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He is still having his feathers ruffled at not getting the ultimate prize in the universe, the helix ball of power. :shame:

He will get his chance at a Precious when season 2 starts :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This show returns on January 16. I was left cold with the last season ending...Ill watch, not expecting much. Watch the Season 2 teaser on Syfy here:

http://www.syfy.com/videos/Helix/Sneak Peeks

This is one of those HEAVY interpersonal dramas with a tiny bit of scifi thrown in to make it interesting. They should have doubled down on it.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, in case nobody knew (or cared), this show is back. :chargrined: The Arctic base is gone, and the first episode of Season 2 is full soap. Interpersonal drama is up to full and there just isnt much anything else except some new cult they found on an island. They aren't even trying to have a plot IMO.

The last episode of last season showed us Julia sitting down at a board table at Ilaria. But they did not pick up the show there. This season they have split the timeline by 30 years so we get flashbacks and flashforwards piecing together a story that really is going nowhere. Now, they are on an island together, with a mysterious cult and interpersonal soap stuff going on, and it is just dumb fluff writing.

I just watched both episodes back to back looking for a thread of plot to latch onto and there just isnt one. It seems silly for them to mention "CDC" in it now. Its just dumb. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
999,000 watching this crap during the next ep . My guess lol :) :) :) . It sounds frakin horrible ,,,

It was already bad, now its AWFUL. It "looks" like all the other sepia tone/bluish apocalypse-chic type shows, and it has pretty people in it, but there is nothing else. Not worth watching more of it IMO

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I tried to watch a little of the new season but I just couldn't get into it. I'm not saying that I hate the show, just that I don't care about it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I like Helix. I still want to dance in a silly manner to the music.

They got rid of the cool music, and now they only have the "Do you know the way to San Jose" left. They even had that line in the first episode dialogue. :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's telling that years ago people used to rush to their computers to comment on Friday night shows but now, with Helix, there are only crickets chirping.

Last edited:

Annoyed

Surly Old Curmudgeon
I time shifted the entire first season of this, and watched in a marathon. Past about the 6th or 7th episode, it was becoming a chore to watch.

I'm not even gonna bother tagging season two for the DVR.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I time shifted the entire first season of this, and watched in a marathon. Past about the 6th or 7th episode, it was becoming a chore to watch.

I'm not even gonna bother tagging season two for the DVR.

The first season kept me going for the season because of the virus, the evil plot to depopulate the world, the isolation of the Arctic base, etc. Now, it's just on an island with dumb soap dialogue.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The first season kept me going for the season because of the virus, the evil plot to depopulate the world, the isolation of the Arctic base, etc. Now, it's just on an island with dumb soap dialogue.

Exactly. I know we suspected it might be bad but at least we gave it a chance during the first season. There were a few moments where it looked like it would get good but then it sort of pooped out.

As it is I still don't understand the "zombie" thing that's going on. It's like the writers wanted to capitalize on the zombie craze but they didn't actually want to do zombies. That's just weird.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Exactly. I know we suspected it might be bad but at least we gave it a chance during the first season. There were a few moments where it looked like it would get good but then it sort of pooped out.

As it is I still don't understand the "zombie" thing that's going on. It's like the writers wanted to capitalize on the zombie craze but they didn't actually want to do zombies. That's just weird.

Is it so weird? :) Syfy is all about making money, not about making good shows.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Is it so weird? :) Syfy is all about making money, not about making good shows.

I think they would make more money in the long run if they produced quality shows that developed a loyal following. There's a ton of money in a "franchise" type of show like SG-1 for instance. Genuine fans buy the DVD's and other related paraphernalia thereby making the show exponentially profitable. I can't see people clamoring for Helix stuff though. Who would want that? Who is going to dress up as a Helix character when they go to a convention? Who is going to write Helix fan fiction? No one, that's who.

And that's the problem SyFy has, they aren't thinking long term. Their soapfi shows and pathetic characters don't stand the test of time. A million people might tune in during the first run eps of some of these shows but these viewers aren't clamoring for more once the season ends. And that's the fault of SyFy execs who only live for short term results. In the financial world this is mockingly called "Quarter-itis" because it's a short-sighted view towards quick quarterly profits while completely ignoring the long term outlook. Such a philosophy is foolish and reveals the immaturity of those who hold it, like SyFy execs.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think they would make more money in the long run if they produced quality shows that developed a loyal following. There's a ton of money in a "franchise" type of show like SG-1 for instance. Genuine fans buy the DVD's and other related paraphernalia thereby making the show exponentially profitable. I can't see people clamoring for Helix stuff though. Who would want that? Who is going to dress up as a Helix character when they go to a convention? Who is going to write Helix fan fiction? No one, that's who.

And that's the problem SyFy has, they aren't thinking long term. Their soapfi shows and pathetic characters don't stand the test of time. A million people might tune in during the first run eps of some of these shows but these viewers aren't clamoring for more once the season ends. And that's the fault of SyFy execs who only live for short term results. In the financial world this is mockingly called "Quarter-itis" because it's a short-sighted view towards quick quarterly profits while completely ignoring the long term outlook. Such a philosophy is foolish and reveals the immaturity of those who hold it, like SyFy execs.

They are the hipsters of the cable industry. They follow the current, fickle fashion. As abruptly as they adopt one fashion trend, they drop it for another. Helix is basically an all new show. It has the same characters pretty much, but the seriousness and the solid core of "We are Ilaria, the Immortals who want to depopulate the world with an engineered virus that we also can cure. Stop us before we have a chance to decimate Humanity" is gone. This season, they have introduced the Island, which has a cult on it. But then we get Julia of the Future (30 years later) after the plague has essentially killed most of Humanity, searching for it's source which is on that island. If we already know the plague hits, why watch?

It's a trainwreck. Im downloading episode 3 and will watch, just to see where it went. But damn, I dont even care about the damn prediction ball on this anymore. :moody:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Episode 3

Episode starts with 5 minute handjob being given to fat cult member by woman who is telling him he needs to like...do stuff for her in the interests of the cult :facepalm:. They have brought back the Asian doctor (Tanaka?, not sure), as well as Daniel and other dead ones, all through delusional visions. Remember, these people all were supposedly killed at the Arctic Base. Its just dumb dumb dumb.

The story/plot is now fragmented to such a degree that you just watch and things move and people talk but you dont understand what is going on or why. And it does not matter, because it is impossible to care about any of these characters with all the shit going on.

HOW do these episodes get to air without anyone watching them and seeing how dumb they are? How are the producers allowed to call this stuff "finished"? It makes no sense.