Helix: Love it or Hate it? (Awards Given)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This show is off the rails. Wait...the trainwreck already happened out in the boonies somewhere and nobody knew. The survivors are just wandering aimlessly and the show is about them. That is about how to see this show now. Its just completely shattered. This HAS TO BE it's last season. The ratings trajectory was already heading towards zero, but I do not have them for the past three episodes. They are no longer easy to find on TVbythenumbers. Anybody have them?

This show is not the Helix show that premiered last year. It is a completely different thing but the actors are still in it. Strange. Not worth watching except to see it heading towards cancellation.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
This show is off the rails. Wait...the trainwreck already happened out in the boonies somewhere and nobody knew. The survivors are just wandering aimlessly and the show is about them. That is about how to see this show now. Its just completely shattered. This HAS TO BE it's last season. The ratings trajectory was already heading towards zero, but I do not have them for the past three episodes. They are no longer easy to find on TVbythenumbers. Anybody have them?

This show is not the Helix show that premiered last year. It is a completely different thing but the actors are still in it. Strange. Not worth watching except to see it heading towards cancellation.

Only due to the low ratings.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Of course. :) And those low ratings are because the show is a ball of dung.

Yeah, I totally gave up on this show. It's so incomprehensible and stupid this season that it's not even worthy of watching for a laugh.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh my...this one went full Jim Jones, mass suicide by order. And this jumping forward and back is starting to make sense, sort of. But, they have added inevitable schtick elements like the miracle baby who is the key to the cure and the future of the now dying immortals (from the post-pandemic future). Thing is, this show is tedious and is more fantasy than science fiction. And the soap elements are the center of the show. Ronald Moore's name is on this thing? :( How can this be the same man who wrote DS9 and much of TNG and Voyager? Well, he went off the rails with NuBSG and Caprica, so...

Anyway, this episode was just full of a bunch of disjointed (but surprising) twists in an already twisted storyline. But there was a very satisfying scene of a sword decapitation. :)

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Oh my...this one went full Jim Jones, mass suicide by order. And this jumping forward and back is starting to make sense, sort of. But, they have added inevitable schtick elements like the miracle baby who is the key to the cure and the future of the now dying immortals (from the post-pandemic future). Thing is, this show is tedious and is more fantasy than science fiction. And the soap elements are the center of the show. Ronald Moore's name is on this thing? :( How can this be the same man who wrote DS9 and much of TNG and Voyager? Well, he went off the rails with NuBSG and Caprica, so...

Anyway, this episode was just full of a bunch of disjointed (but surprising) twists in an already twisted storyline. But there was a very satisfying scene of a sword decapitation. :)

I liked the episode, but I especially liked the decapitation scene. It was good to see the laid back guy from Wings have a meaty role on television again.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
More important than whether or not I like the show (I do) is the fact that this show is not what fans of SG-1 and Battlestar Galactica Miniseries and Season 1 want in a Syfy television program.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

It appears that I have a greater tolerance for the schlock elements of a Ronald Moore program than I used to.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

His role as Michael was good in this show. But the story arc in season 2 just sorta started way out there and they wrote the first 8 episodes about him and his cult on that island. I think they should have started it back up with Ilaria and Julia running it. Instead, they changed the entire show into something else. But Michael did get developed pretty well, and his death was very satisfying. Julia and Peter may be the best developed characters in the show. This was supposed to be Alan's show (Billy Campbell), but he has turned out to be lackluster and a drag on the show (IMO).

Yeah, Im complaining about the changes in the show and the lack of direction, but I am still watching it every week. :) More than I can say about The Last Ship or Defiance.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
More important than whether or not I like the show (I do) is the fact that this show is not what fans of SG-1 and Battlestar Galactica Miniseries and Season 1 want in a Syfy television program.

If one ignores season 1 and thinks of season 2 as the beginning of Helix, then I might agree with you. This show is not Lost, even though writing elements are similar. But the whole CDC angle needs to be dropped. There is very little recognizable science in the show. They have added this new military unit, but I don't see where they are going.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Episode 9

Now, they are throwing everything into the mix. They have brought back Colleen (the fat lesbian chick who they never should have killed off), only she is a figment of Alan's imagination. She seems smarter than he does, IMO. They have introduced cannibalistic infected zombie-sentient people who somehow change when they drink the infected honey, and some weird apple tree named Mother has gone missing...wtf? Its like being on a sober acid trip. We have crazy zombie couple who are fond of eating human eyeballs and choice body parts.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Episode 9

Now, they are throwing everything into the mix. They have brought back Colleen (the fat lesbian chick who they never should have killed off), only she is a figment of Alan's imagination. She seems smarter than he does, IMO. They have introduced cannibalistic infected zombie-sentient people who somehow change when they drink the infected honey, and some weird apple tree named Mother has gone missing...wtf? Its like being on a sober acid trip. We have crazy zombie couple who are fond of eating human eyeballs and choice body parts.

At least, they got killed before the end of the episode.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Episode 9

I watched this one believe it or not. What struck me was the complete disconnect from season 1. The only connection I saw were the dream sequences with the lesbian chick (that shouldn't have been killed off in season 1). But the rest of it was shrill mumbo jumbo about some religious cult gone wrong.

To be honest I barely made it through this episode because I quickly tired of the crazy-mean-religious chick shrilly threatening the scientist. ("You'll never see your baby again!!!" :rolleye0014:) I'm sorry but that shit was really boring and tedious. And I couldn't help but wonder why the scientist chick didn't just kill everyone involved, after all, she's smart enough to do it.

And the cannibal thing was just dumb. This show needs to end -- quickly.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I watched this one believe it or not. What struck me was the complete disconnect from season 1. The only connection I saw were the dream sequences with the lesbian chick (that shouldn't have been killed off in season 1). But the rest of it was shrill mumbo jumbo about some religious cult gone wrong.

To be honest I barely made it through this episode because I quickly tired of the crazy-mean-religious chick shrilly threatening the scientist. ("You'll never see your baby again!!!" :rolleye0014:) I'm sorry but that shit was really boring and tedious. And I couldn't help but wonder why the scientist chick didn't just kill everyone involved, after all, she's smart enough to do it.

And the cannibal thing was just dumb. This show needs to end -- quickly.

Season 2 is a different show than the Helix which was season 1. A complete disconnect, as you say. Even the cool music is gone. The dumb crazy mean cult chick is just a cliche character like Adria from SG-1, Seska from Voyager, the Wraith Queen from Atlantis...the evil bitch character. :rolleye0014: All the dead characters from season 1 are in it, but as "ghosts" manifesting as imaginary characters. Must be a contract clause with those actors or something, I reckon?

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Season 2 is a different show than the Helix which was season 1. A complete disconnect, as you say. Even the cool music is gone. The dumb crazy mean cult chick is just a cliche character like Adria from SG-1, Seska from Voyager, the Wraith Queen from Atlantis...the evil bitch character. :rolleye0014: All the dead characters from season 1 are in it, but as "ghosts" manifesting as imaginary characters. Must be a contract clause with those actors or something, I reckon?

Good point. Either a contract clause or the producers lame attempt to connect the two completely different stories by using familiar characters from the first season. As gimmicks go it doesn't work though. The two seasons are two completely different stories and trying to link them via the use of old characters falls flat.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Good point. Either a contract clause or the producers lame attempt to connect the two completely different stories by using familiar characters from the first season. As gimmicks go it doesn't work though. The two seasons are two completely different stories and trying to link them via the use of old characters falls flat.

Totally flat. :) Seeing the lesbian scientist (still in her lab coat) on that dumbass island is just a huge WTF moment. Somebody watching this show wont even know who the hell she is or why she is wearing a lab coat, or why Alan is even seeing her.

Season 1

265912.jpg

Season 2

_1420164641.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Last Ship is in its between seasons hiatus, so you'd have a hard time watching it just now. It starts back up on June 21st.