Helix: Love it or Hate it? (Awards Given)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am still liking Helix. I am afraid that it end on cliffhanger, and the ratings will not be high enough for renewal.

Episodes 10 and 11....the show (the new one) is somehow getting better. It is totally 180 degrees different from the first season, but it is getting more interesting. :) The evil bitch cult girl is dead, and they got her in a brilliant, most satisfying way. But lots of characters died in episode 11, including the military unit. The root stock from "Mother" is dead, killed by some high tech spray that has killed all life on the island which was exposed to it. Ilaria is about to unleash Narvik 3 worldwide which will kill most of the global population. We already know they will do it because of the earlier flash-forward scenes with Julia in them. I think we know who the dude is in the future with Julia (Jordan's son?).

Hate to say it, but Im starting to like it again. Go figure! :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So what happened with this show? Is the season ending on a stupid note?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So what happened with this show? Is the season ending on a stupid note?

You just reminded me to download episode 12. :) I will let you know...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, Season 2 cliffhanger...yes, it is supposed to be a cliffhanger but...

We already know Julia is still alive 30 years after Narvic 3 was released, and as far as we know, Alan is not an immortal

The real tension point is Peter's sudden turn back into a raging psychopath and his new allegiance with Ann. Dr Jordan has become silly crazy-mommy with her immortal baby in a jar thread going. And Alan is just a sidenote. This show was supposed to showcase Campbell but it overpowered him and now it looks like (maybe) they will kill him off in the show?

To answer Ape's question, yes they ended this season with a cliffhanger, but we already know at least most of the outcome so it isnt really a cliffhanger. Second, I really do not see them renewing this show for a full season. I have noticed that Syfy has been trying to actually end the shows they make now, even if they return for "last and final seasons" of only 6 episodes. Dropping a show at the end of a cliffhanger and never resolving it was INFURIATING!. I think this show will get one of those, and we will be done with it.

Having said that, I think they made a huge mistake using the flash forwards, because we already know what the world will be like. All we don't know is who the man is that Julia meets from the future (but we already know). We know that the virus decimates the human population, and that Julia and Dr Hitake survive. We just dont know if the immortals all die as well. I see no room or reason for any more "ghosts" from season 1, because the context they lived in is completely disconnected from season 2. Nobody except those who watched the entirely different Helix of season 1 would know who they are.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'd think so. Especially as they folded up Eureka which was pulling 5x that in the demo and over 3x that in overall. Likewise Warehouse 13 which was pulling roughly 4x that in demo and 3x that in overall.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
On the off chance that Syfy renews Helix, will the SGU lovers claim that SGU, a much, much more expensive show, should have been given another season?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I'd think so. Especially as they folded up Eureka which was pulling 5x that in the demo and over 3x that in overall. Likewise Warehouse 13 which was pulling roughly 4x that in demo and 3x that in overall.

I think that those shows were more expensive than Helix.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
On the off chance that Syfy renews Helix, will the SGU lovers claim that SGU, a much, much more expensive show, should have been given another season?

I am not sure if there is still a significant remnant of SGU fans left out there. At it's peak, it was only around a million people, and since cancellation I have not seen any cultism form around the show. There is still a significant fandom around SG-1 though. :) Do you really think there is a chance they would renew Helix after this dismal season (following the first slightly less dismal) season?

I think that those shows were more expensive than Helix.

They were more expensive. Helix 2.0 looks like it is being done on a shoestring.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Helix 1.0 was big budget - Helix 2.0 was shoestring. Neither Eureka nor Warehouse 13 were big budget.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It had good SFX, the set was purpose built and so forth. S2 was shoestring and also nonsensical, and the ratings reflected it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It had good SFX, the set was purpose built and so forth. S2 was shoestring and also nonsensical, and the ratings reflected it.

Season 1 did have better effects, they used CGI a lot, had better video shooting and obviously higher production values. They actually had a wardrobe department, the props and snow environment was all created for the show. Helix 2.0 was all "analog" with few special effects.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Interesting point to ponder. I wonder if Helix was given a two-season order originally and the production company spent the majority of the budget on the first season? Either that or they shot their load on the first season thinking that would be it for the show but then got the renewal order and found they didn't have that much left in the production coffers.