Enough with the freakin' "Hunger Games" hype

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well it's breaking records so the marketing has obviously worked.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/hunger-games-scores-huge-1-8m-in-australia/

As much as people here might be annoyed with the adverts, this is marketing done right. While there is no direct comparison to be made here, Disney could learn a thing or two when balanced against there efforts for John Carter.

Yoshi, you have no way of knowing how many people have been turned off to this movie by the advertising. There simply is no way to rate that percentage.

As for it "breaking records", please, just please. Every single movie that does fairly well somehow manages to "break" records. You can believe the skewed numbers all you want but the truth is that no unknown entity, in this case The Hunger Games, can possibly beat a known success at the box office such as an anticipated Harry Potter movie. There's simply no way this can happen.

Also, you are more than a bit disingenuous with your link as it quotes people as speculating on the numbers, not the actual ratings numbers themselves. They are estimated numbers that they expect, not the final numbers themselves. Here is quoted proof:

My sources tonight say The Hunger Games is looking to open humongous with $66 million for Friday box office from 4,137 theaters in the U.S. and Canada, including the record $19.75M in midnight shows. A Lionsgate insider tells me that ”$70M is still a possibility for Friday with a little swing here or there”.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Yoshi, you have no way of knowing how many people have been turned off to this movie by the advertising. There simply is no way to rate that percentage.

As for it "breaking records", please, just please. Every single movie that does fairly well somehow manages to "break" records. You can believe the skewed numbers all you want but the truth is that no unknown entity, in this case The Hunger Games, can possibly beat a known success at the box office such as an anticipated Harry Potter movie. There's simply no way this can happen.

Also, you are more than a bit disingenuous with your link as it quotes people as speculating on the numbers, not the actual ratings numbers themselves. They are estimated numbers that they expect, not the final numbers themselves. Here is quoted proof:

[/FONT][/COLOR]

The first movie in a franchise doesn't do well with bad advertising. They've got an incredible number of people to go and see the movie; I don't see how else the marketing can be judged. As for the numbers; the record broken was on midnight showings (i.e. the premiers) which was the headline of the article until it was updated. Plus the other figures projected in that article are based on inside knowledge and tracking done by Lionsgate so they wont be far off. Still my point was that this movie is doing exceptionally well which is something that can't be disputed.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I've read the first two, they were pretty decent. It's a veiled commentary on the current direction society is heading towards where she emphasizes two points in her work, the reality tv phenomena and wealth gap. Hunger Games is basically a gladiator-like scenario. You just have to survive. Maybe read and/or watch before commenting? To me, some of the premise was a bit convoluted but not entirely out of the realm of possibility. I liked the main character in the first book, but it got pretty soapy towards the end and the second one was kinda ridiculous as well with bunch of things going on but it was finally reaching a climax. Still have to read the third, I'll get around to it when I have the time.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I've read the first two, they were pretty decent. It's a veiled commentary on the current direction society is heading towards where she emphasizes two points in her work, the reality tv phenomena and wealth gap. Hunger Games is basically a gladiator-like scenario. You just have to survive. Maybe read and/or watch before commenting? To me, some of the premise was a bit convoluted but not entirely out of the realm of possibility. I liked the main character in the first book, but it got pretty soapy towards the end and the second one was kinda ridiculous as well with bunch of things going on but it was finally reaching a climax. Still have to read the third, I'll get around to it when I have the time.

I think I'll save time and just go see the movie. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, did they really compare this to Harry Potter and Twilight? Just LOL!

This movie is strictly fodder for children who are just getting over Santa Claus not being real :facepalm:. Contrived, overdone costumes and sets, shallow premise and immature relationship interactions. I could not make it through the film. I did not go to see it in theaters, and I may decide at some later time to watch the thing in it's entirety but my initial impressions are OMG did they really waste money hyping this turd?"

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
This movie is strictly fodder for children who are just getting over Santa Claus not being real :facepalm:. Contrived, overdone costumes and sets, shallow premise and immature relationship interactions. I could not make it through the film. I did not go to see it in theaters, and I may decide at some later time to watch the thing in it's entirety but my initial impressions are OMG did they really waste money hyping this turd?"

It's a shame that it isn't good. It just had the third best opening weekend ever, right behind The Dark Knight. Kind of annoying as TDK is excellent...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The first movie in a franchise doesn't do well with bad advertising. They've got an incredible number of people to go and see the movie; I don't see how else the marketing can be judged. As for the numbers; the record broken was on midnight showings (i.e. the premiers) which was the headline of the article until it was updated. Plus the other figures projected in that article are based on inside knowledge and tracking done by Lionsgate so they wont be far off. Still my point was that this movie is doing exceptionally well which is something that can't be disputed.

It would help if you used actual figures and not projections.

As for the movie, I really can't judge the content but rather am just voicing my dislike of the heavy handed marketing. It's a HUGE turn off.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Apparently, it had the 3rd biggest opening "ever", whatever that means.

That said, I'm still not interested in seeing it.

ABC Family has apparently just bought the rights to air the movie when it hits broadcast television, as well as the television rights to the sequel.

One wonders if and when they will come up with "The Hunger Games: The Series"?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Apparently, it had the 3rd biggest opening "ever", whatever that means.

That said, I'm still not interested in seeing it.

ABC Family has apparently just bought the rights to air the movie when it hits broadcast television, as well as the television rights to the sequel.

One wonders if and when they will come up with "The Hunger Games: The Series"?

I'm sure the CW already has a knock-off show all ready in production. ;)

This reminds me of the time my mom confusedly mentioned to me that "There's a show on TV about teenage vampires called The Vampire Diaries. Now why would they do a show about teenage vampires?" I had to explain the whole Twilight thing which was a chore in itself.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm sure the CW already has a knock-off show all ready in production. ;)

This reminds me of the time my mom confusedly mentioned to me that "There's a show on TV about teenage vampires called The Vampire Diaries. Now why would they do a show about teenage vampires?" I had to explain the whole Twilight thing which was a chore in itself.
I hate teenagers, humans or otherwise, in rut. Moody, angsty, annoying creatures who should ALL be exposed to the sun.

I've gotten a lot of feedback from fans of my current book and story who are pleased as hell that neither can be found in my writing. Apparently, I've discovered a niche. LOL

Vampires who aren't part of "Melrose Place By Night".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I hate teenagers, humans or otherwise, in rut. Moody, angsty, annoying creatures who should ALL be exposed to the sun.

I've gotten a lot of feedback from fans of my current book and story who are pleased as hell that neither can be found in my writing. Apparently, I've discovered a niche. LOL

Vampires who aren't part of "Melrose Place By Night".

:thoranime12: Well put! Your vampires are dark, but not brooding and NEVER silly or contrite. The whole teen angsty slew of shows is so...targeted. They all seem the same. I think that the best example of the utter shallowness of this Teen Angsty/Melrose Place/90210/Emo Tearfest/Abercrombie/Prada world of TV and film to date is Skyline. The accelerated pace of having to be a two hour movie made it all so clear.

But this movie, it is just immature and overdone to me. The mentality approaches that of Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
How do people tell people that Hunger Games is not sci-Fi some people on another forum are telling me dystopian fiction is a sub-genre of Sci-Fi ?

Someone just gave me a statement from Wikipedia

""As fictional dystopias are often set in a future projected virtual time and/or space involving technological innovations not accessible in actual present reality, dystopian fiction is often classified generically as science fiction, a subgenre ofspeculative fiction."

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How do people tell people that Hunger Games is not sci-Fi some people on another forum are telling me dystopian fiction is a sub-genre of Sci-Fi ?

""As fictional dystopias are often set in a future projected virtual time and/or space involving technological innovations not accessible in actual present reality, dystopian fiction is often classified generically as science fiction, a subgenre ofspeculative fiction."

Did you see it CA? If so, what did you think? Put spoilers in tags. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I haven't seen it mate but I think that definition is taken from wikipedia its a definition of dystopian fiction. Seeing the movie is a waste of my time I think.

I have "acquired" it. But even free, it could still be a huge waste of time.
:icon_e_wink:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Umm, niether your statement, nor thier response makes any sense to me, sorry dude :(
Are you saying it is NOT Sci-fi, or that it is?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I suspect that it is watchable - just need to remember the intended audience is teens.