Anything goes 1

Red Mage

Boney
All it takes is one idiot in the circle, what you call roundabouts, and it screws up the whole mess. Unfortunately, more often than not you will find one of those idiots.

They recently put several circles up near my house. I hate them. :facepalm:

There was one of those traffic circles near my college. It was awful and caused so many traffic issues. Fortunately, they converted it to a normal 4 way intersection during my junior year and just like that all the traffic problems went away.

G

Graybrew1

There was one of those traffic circles near my college. It was awful and caused so many traffic issues. Fortunately, they converted it to a normal 4 way intersection during my junior year and just like that all the traffic problems went away.

My state is convinced this is the way they want to go. They did not just put up one. They put up four within a 15 mile radius. They don't care what problems it causes. Their way or the highway, pun intended :P. The funny thing was when they first built them they screwed up and did not make them big enough for School buses to fit through so they had to re do them. :facepalm: DumbA@#es. That is our tax dollars at work. :rolleyes:

S

Stonelesscutter

My state is convinced this is the way they want to go. They did not just put up one. They put up four within a 15 mile radius. They don't care what problems it causes. Their way or the highway, pun intended :P. The funny thing was when they first built them they screwed up and did not make them big enough for School buses to fit through so they had to re do them. :facepalm: DumbA@#es. That is our tax dollars at work. :rolleyes:

You'll get used to them.
They can offer a real advantage or they can clog up the traffic, it all depends on the situation. If the planners do their job well you'll learn to love them. :P

G

Graybrew1

You'll get used to them.
They can offer a real advantage or they can clog up the traffic, it all depends on the situation. If the planners do their job well you'll learn to love them. :P

They people where I live mostly cannot drive, so I doubt that. :rolleyes: Time will tell.

G

Graybrew1

If people cannot drive then it's not the fault of the rounabouts now is it. ;)

But the circles make it impossible to get away from them. And make things much, much worse.

I prefer inches to millimeters. I prefer regular 4 way intersections to circles. I am an American girl. Most other Americans feel the same way. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This

If you are an illegal alien daylabor worker or under 16 years of age. Very rarely do you see an adult riding a bike unless he/she is an avid cyclist in full spandex gear. If you don't own a car, it's hard to get around in the suburbs. Atleast around here, the suburb mass transit is absolutely terrible.

However, maybe in major cities you might see some bicycles. Even then most of the time, it's people just walking or driving cars in insanely congested traffic.

Too true!

The infrastructure simply isn't in place for bicycle traffic. "Sharing the road" really isn't an option here. Sure there are bike lanes on a couple roads in a couple cities, but they are pretty useless for the most part. There's one right by my house that runs a couple blocks on a road and then ends. Then there's the weather. Riding a bike all year long simply isn't an option for a good portion of the country. The rain and cold are bad enough but the snow is a deal breaker.

I'd love to be able to walk or ride a bike to the big grocery store nearby but it's literally impossible because it's accessible only via a super highway -- and I mean SUPER! There are on-ramps and off-ramps on this thing. There is no sidewalk.

This is America. We don't have the idyll pleasure of living in windmills, wearing hand carved shoes and peddling into the village center to get a quart of fresh "squeezed" milk on a daily basis. ;)

S

Stonelesscutter

But the circles make it impossible to get away from them. And make things much, much worse.

I prefer inches to millimeters. I prefer regular 4 way intersections to circles. I am an American girl. Most other Americans feel the same way. ;)

But circles are such beautiful mathematically perfect things.

G

Graybrew1

The infrastructure simply isn't in place for bicycle traffic. "Sharing the road" really isn't an option here. Sure there are bike lanes on a couple roads in a couple cities, but they are pretty useless for the most part. There's one right by my house that runs a couple blocks on a road and then ends. Then there's the weather. Riding a bike all year long simply isn't an option for a good portion of the country. The rain and cold are bad enough but the snow is a deal breaker.

I'd love to be able to walk or ride a bike to the big grocery store nearby but it's literally impossible because it's accessible only via a super highway -- and I mean SUPER! There are on-ramps and off-ramps on this thing. There is no sidewalk.

This is America. We don't have the idyll pleasure of living in windmills, wearing hand carved shoes and peddling into the village center to get a quart of fresh "squeezed" milk on a daily basis. ;)

Move to Delaware Shaved.

We have bike lanes on almost all the semi major highways. We are very bike friendly. This is afterall a very touchy feeling let's kiss the trees kind of state. ;)
We also have a lot of professional and semi professional bike races here, so maybe that is why.

S

Stonelesscutter

Too true!

If you were REALLY bold you'd walk to that grocery store over the highway. If people started honking their horns you'd just flip them the bird. Then if they really got mad you'd open your fly and piss on their car. :)

G

Graybrew1

But circles are such beautiful mathematically perfect things.

Mathematically?

Yes, I see.
1 circle + 1 idiot driver+ 3 regular drivers= 1 Big frakin Mess enough to make you get road rage and want to rip your hair out. :facepalm:

That kind of Math Bud? :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
If people cannot drive then it's not the fault of the roundabouts now is it. ;)

You fail at math. The roundabouts are EVIL therefore they are to blame, i.e. it is their fault!

G

Graybrew1

If you were REALLY bold you'd walk to that grocery store over the highway. If people started honking their horns you'd just flip them the bird. Then if they really got mad you'd open your fly and piss on their car. :)

Come try that on I-95 , I dare you. And that is a tiny little highway compared to ones in CA. They won't honk their horns at you they will run your butt over. :icon_lol:

S

Stonelesscutter

Mathematically?

Yes, I see.
1 circle + 1 idiot driver+ 3 regular drivers= 1 Big frakin Mess enough to make you get road rage and want to rip your hair out. :facepalm:

That kind of Math Bud? :P

It's all to make you feel much better when you get to your destination.

G

Graybrew1

You fail at math. The roundabouts are EVIL therefore they are to blame, i.e. it is their fault!

First Camelot now this, Holy Crap Shaved, that is two things in a row you and I agree about. :icon_eek: :biggrin:

Tropicana

Council Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MywmtskFiiI

Seems easy enough IMO, lol.

Though one difference is in the UK (compared to this video), while not ideal but here you can change lanes in the roundabout (assuming it's 2-3 lanes wide), but you must use an indicator and the whole mirror and blind spot check routine. Also here when we approach an exit, we put our indicators on to signal that we are about to leave the roundabout; for I noticed in the video (for the American roundabouts), they don't require you to put the indicators on which is weird but again that's just me.

At least in the States, you have a sign that tells you which lane you should go, over here, as part of your learning process, we are taught to look at the big ass route map like -

dd45a16eeb52b77a0b9298d657fd_grande.jpg

Which is located before the roundabout, then use common-sense to choose the correct lane.

G

Graybrew1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MywmtskFiiI

Seems easy enough IMO, lol.

Though one difference is in the UK (compared to this video), while not ideal but here you can change lanes in the roundabout (assuming it's 2-3 lanes wide), but you must use an indicator and the whole mirror and blind spot check routine. Also here when we approach an exit, we put our indicators on to signal that we are about to leave the roundabout; for I noticed in the video (for the American roundabouts), they don't require you to put the indicators on which is weird but again that's just me.

Thanks for vid, but I do know how to use one. LOL.

The problem is the idiots that don't. :icon_e_wink:

They will stop and not go until nobody is in sight because they are wimps and can't see when to take an opening.
They will stop in the circle and everybody has to slam on their brakes.
They will go naught miles an hour in circle.

What is even more frakin fun? When a Tractor, not trailer I live close enough to farm land, is in one. Joy, Let me just sit back and enjoy the view. That takes FOREVER.