Star Trek: Picard

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
if you have Netflix UK, it is free, but you would need a VPN with a dedicated IP to be able to use Netflix UK.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It wont be included with prime, you can will still need a cbs pass, but you can get it via prime a bit cheaper with limited ads

unless you are using a vpn of course

Yep. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
if you have Netflix UK, it is free, but you would need a VPN with a dedicated IP to be able to use Netflix UK.

The IP does not need to be dedicated.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, it does for us. I have both and only the dedicated IP is not detected and blocked.

I have a dedicated IP for home, but my VPN (ExpressVPN) does not, and I am still able to access Netflix UK without a problem. Perhaps the ExpressVPN endpoint is dedicated?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
with the picard going to die speculation

making ppl go off in diff tangents--we are like in the 6th generation, or branches of 'theory' since the trailer!

on FB sci fi group, ppl are expanding the 'hes going to die' added to the Borg components of the story to get 'Picard is going to be the Borg King for a new Borg resurgence'

yeah, ppl get a grip. maybe you're right but get a grip and wait

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
it is just non stop

someone did the math and calculated that the Romulan 'borg prison' has its being referred to, with the signs that say 'this facility has not had an assimilation in...days' goes back to 4 years before the events of ST NEMESIS.

meaning the Romulans have been messing around with Borg tech for a long, long while

personally, i just see the signs has a bit of quirky humor parroting the real world work place signs that say things like 'this factory has not had an accident in xxx days, safety first'

so does that number even mean anything?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
it is just non stop

someone did the math and calculated that the Romulan 'borg prison' has its being referred to, with the signs that say 'this facility has not had an assimilation in...days' goes back to 4 years before the events of ST NEMESIS.

meaning the Romulans have been messing around with Borg tech for a long, long while

personally, i just see the signs has a bit of quirky humor parroting the real world work place signs that say things like 'this factory has not had an accident in xxx days, safety first'

so does that number even mean anything?

There are going to be a lot of Memberberry trees in this show. :facepalm:. In case you don't know what that means, it's when a show relies on nostalgia by putting things in the show and asking 'member this?

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I have a dedicated IP for home, but my VPN (ExpressVPN) does not, and I am still able to access Netflix UK without a problem. Perhaps the ExpressVPN endpoint is dedicated?
I am not really sure, but I suspect the streaming providers might spend more resources on blocking their US content than the other regions.

Even if my dedicated IP crashes for a second, I lose access to the US content. The streaming companies now have tech that search for mulitiple use IPs and block them as suspected "proxies", this is true for NF, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video and CBS all access. I suspect this will be the same for Disney + too, ( which I pre-ordered), and so we pay the extra for the dedicated IP.

I think Picard will most likely not be an issue however and will probably stream on NF UK for free like STD does.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I am not really sure, but I suspect the streaming providers might spend more resources on blocking their US content than the other regions.

Even if my dedicated IP crashes for a second, I lose access to the US content. The streaming companies now have tech that search for mulitiple use IPs and block them as suspected "proxies", this is true for NF, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video and CBS all access. I suspect this will be the same for Disney + too, ( which I pre-ordered), and so we pay the extra for the dedicated IP.

I think Picard will most likely not be an issue however and will probably stream on NF UK for free like STD does.
No it won't, it will be on Prime, not on Netflix. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
There is talk of Picard being a paid thing on Prime US

only 'on prime' via a amazon pass to cbs access

amz prime has about 100 add on channels--which also have their own service (at least they do on roku)--that you can buy access to through prime for a price that is usually lower then if you just got that service alone

with cbs deal, if you go through prime, you can get no commercials or limited for a price slightly less then through cbs. one of the options is also not available through CBS

its a tact not unlike the old ;'bundling' that cable and phone companies used to do, but this scheme is 'ala carte' so you just get want you want

not all inclusive--add cbs to the list

Here's a list of some of the better Amazon Channels:

• HBO ($14.99 per month)
  • Showtime ($8.99 per month)
  • Cinemax ($9.99 per month)
  • Starz ($8.99 per month)
  • Mubi ($5.99 per month)
  • Sundance Now ($6.99 per month)
  • Sports Illustrated TV ($4.99 per month)
  • Comic Con HQ ($4.99 per month)
  • History Vault ($4.99 per month)
  • Comedy Central Stand-Up ($3.99 per month)
  • PBS Masterpiece ($5.99 per month)
  • IndiePix Unlimited ($5.99 per month)
  • DocComTV ($2.99 per month)
  • Smithsonian Earth ($3.99 per month)
  • Reelz ($3.99 per month)
  • Daily Burn ($14.99 per month)
  • PBS Kids ($4.99 per month)
  • Shudder ($4.99 per month)
  • Cheddar ($2.99 per month)
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/amazon-channels-faq,review-4125.html

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
despite expected derision and criticism, i am just going to throw this out there. and old syfy forums fashioned "guess on what will happen" type of thing

probably I will be wrong, but, for those unseen and unreal 'atta boys', i want to get first claim just in case!

ok

- 1 group of romulans we see in trailer- the non military ones, who accompany Picard, represent a faction who are looking for a new home after the destruction of romulus

they know picard's history with them and with his record in starfleet

so, they know of Mintaka III and that there is a emerging civ there with people they can live with and in all likelihood, intermarry with

they also know that Picard introduced the Mintakans to the knowledge of advanced tech and civilizations-despite not wanting to. so they know of his relationship and how they revere him "never forget us Picard" as he left

so these romulans will try to use this to get the minatakans to allow them to peacefully re settle there with, probably, a small group of peace minded romulans (the types that Spock had influence with)

the other story, we will see romulans, still warlike and uncompromising, use borg tech (where dahj comes in) to find a new home, by force with their same old M.O.'s
-----------------------------------------------------
probably have about a 1% chance of being right, but hey, thats the fun of it. so tired of hearing these 'theories' that do nothing but prophesize how much a show ill suck.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We'll see what happens for sure. I agree that plot speculation is right now pretty much all we can do whether we are excited for the show or not, as we are not the writers or producers. As things stand now the next thing to look forward to is the Season 4 premiere of The Expanse on 12-13-19.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
is there a firm date for picard, or is still 'early 2020'?

it is being put out that filming for s2 will begin in march 2020 and Stewart has interviewed that he had to clear his schedule for s2 filming-which also means he wont die in s1--i guess?--

one would think that they would wait to get some reaction from initial episodes for s1 before they go into shooting s2, but who knows? most stuff seems to be getting a guaranteed s2 lately, no matter what

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Meh....There are things I like in the trailer, but lots of stuff I don't like. The whole thing looks and feels like Abrams' reboot Trek, with visuals being a combination of that plus Discovery. The overall vibe is off. Doesn't feel like Star Trek to me still. I hope I am wrong, but I watched that trailer like 4 times so I could take in scenery, tech, and a bit of what might be the core of the show. I need to see more. But not that much more. It is shaping up to be not as bad as Discovery, but still maybe not real Star Trek. I'll wait and see.

He no longer sounds like the Picard I know. He seems more like professor Dumbledore or Gandalf.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yea Overmind One. The visuals do look like Nu Trek to me too but maybe the feel the show needs a more modern look than that of the nineties?

I noticed they used Riker, Troi, Data and Seven in the trailer. I would have thought they would have kept the context of their involvement a surprise. They only teased Data and Seven in the teaser after all, without context. Instead they included them in longer scenes seemingly to draw in the veteran Trek fandom. That's a bit of a cynical ploy IMO. Although it also implies they've learned something from the mistakes made in Discovery.

More memberberries!

upload_2019-10-5_13-45-5.png

But they still haven't learned that fans can spot inconsistencies like a tribble in the Captain's ready room, cloaks on pre-Kirk Klingon ships, or in this case, the fact that Seven of Nine's ocular implant is NOT the same as the one in Voyager. We know she didn't have an assortment of them, so why is it so much different? I stopped the frames she was in to compare them, and they are a lot different in the details. Nothing was stopping them from recreating the original.

EightofNine.png

The answer to that is because they are once again using the Kurtzman alternate license to make this thing, which means that I am probably not wrong that this show could suck.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yea true Overmind One, although Picard and Data were wearing the TNG era uniforms.

I tell you though...that Jeri Ryan has barely aged a day.

They blocked your video already. :) They love the fans! Here is the video from CBS itself:

Uniforms cost less in licensing than a very specific, very individual piece like Seven's ocular implant. Another one would be Geordi's visor and familiar ship designs. I saw a hologram of the 1701-D, but none of the designs of the other ships look that familiar. I am not excited because there is too much which doesn't feel right. The music is also wrong. It needs to be more orchestral.

PS, that other man by the fireplace is The Traveler. That means time travel, which means *groooaaaannn*

Traveler.png

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Still looking forward to this. And I won't have you gloomsayers disrupt my excitement.