Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Notice that if anything the importance of Michael Burnham to the universe has been increased yet more. Where does it go next?

More and more the show feels like it is about an ordinary schlub named Michael Burnham working at a fast food restaurant who daydreams about being a Starfleet officer - hence her hilariously exaggerated importance to everything and her over the top Mary Sue qualities. What we see in the show is her daydreams.

Perfect analogy! This show centers around a minor officer on a ship which has gone for almost 2 years without an actual Captain, and no real mission. And she is all hooked in to Pike, Spock, this ridiculous Red Angel thing which turns out to be her mom who somehow invented a time travel suit while at Section 31? It is just ridiculous on every level. I absolutely hate the show.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Perfect analogy! This show centers around a minor officer on a ship which has gone for almost 2 years without an actual Captain, and no real mission. And she is all hooked in to Pike, Spock, this ridiculous Red Angel thing which turns out to be her mom who somehow invented a time travel suit while at Section 31? It is just ridiculous on every level. I absolutely hate the show.

This is why I said it feels like we are watching her fantasies. She is just too OP and too important to everything.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LMAO! This parody response to Discovery is too funny...

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Discovery about to time travel to the future. Control trying to gain consciousness by assimilating the sphere data stored in Discovery. Plot thickens. Getting more exciting by the episode.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Discovery about to time travel to the future. Control trying to gain consciousness by assimilating the sphere data stored in Discovery. Plot thickens. Getting more exciting by the episode.

I keep rating these posts funny because I know the actual Star Trek canon like the back of my hand, and this show absolutely trashes it. There was no time travel suit created by Michael Burnam's mom in Section 31, there is no badge worn by Section 31, no Control, no Discovery, no spore drive, no Michael Burnham or Red Angel. Captain Pike never commanded the Discovery, Spock is not an emo dyslexic, Sarek cannot make mind melds across interstellar space (no Vulcan can). The Federation never met the Gorn or had tribbles....so many things seen in this show were pulled out of a targ's ass that these episodes are actually funny to me.

You would be part of this show's new audience, and I can see that there are others like you who find the show entertaining. More power to you! This Star Trek is a sci-fantasy show. I only like the science fiction version.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not even thinking of it as Trek - it is the worst written show on TV - period. And Michael Burnham is easily the worst and most unlikeable character we have seen anywhere in years.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Season 2 finale was pretty good actually.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually I thought it was terrible. Part of it stems from the characters who remain thoroughly unlikeable and impossible to identify with. But a bigger part is the stupidity of the ending.

The only way catapulting Discovery into the future can fix anything would be if it were done by some anomaly that actually and literally erased all traces of its existence in the past even from people's minds. Their answer of just super classifying its existence is not a solution. Not to mention the fantasy time crystals the Klingons had the whole time and the fantasy time suit - they still exist and as such any number of actual Trek stories become silly because all that was ever needed was for Section 31 to break out the time suit and/or plagiarized spore drive and all is solved.

And as usual Michael Burnham is the ultimate Mary Sue - Rey has nothing on Mikey Spock in that department and the show has dripped with SJW crap since its inception.

That said, they did create a nice Enterprise bridge - updated but not looking like an Apple Store.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually I thought it was terrible. Part of it stems from the characters who remain thoroughly unlikeable and impossible to identify with. But a bigger part is the stupidity of the ending.

The only way catapulting Discovery into the future can fix anything would be if it were done by some anomaly that actually and literally erased all traces of its existence in the past even from people's minds. Their answer of just super classifying its existence is not a solution. Not to mention the fantasy time crystals the Klingons had the whole time and the fantasy time suit - they still exist and as such any number of actual Trek stories become silly because all that was ever needed was for Section 31 to break out the time suit and/or plagiarized spore drive and all is solved.

And as usual Michael Burnham is the ultimate Mary Sue - Rey has nothing on Mikey Spock in that department and the show has dripped with SJW crap since its inception.

That said, they did create a nice Enterprise bridge - updated but not looking like an Apple Store.

I haven't watched it yet. So, they are going to throw Discovery into the future? :) I think Q would have had a problem with that, as well as Starfleet of the future who has a fleet of timeships like the USS Relativity. I think the showrunners have read the hundreds of fan comments saying that the show would have been okay if it had been post-Nemesis because of the look and the tech. But it's too late for that. It needed to START in the future. They have already messed with Spock, Sarek, the Klingons, the way Starfleet works, the way tech works, just about everything is broken in the Discovery universe which would have allowed them to tie it together. And of course, we are still stuck with these dumb fantasy writers trying to write science fiction. We are still also stuck with the 25% difference required with the Bad Robot/Secret Hideout license which means dumb uniforms and a 25% different Jake Picard.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
world tptb's want us to watch STD so that we over snack and get bad teeth and then get put on anti depressants to battle our dental induced depression

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The funny thing about the article is it is classic shill media slop - no hard data quoted; no sources.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The funny thing about the article is it is classic shill media slop - no hard data quoted; no sources.

I am writing an article about this right now. But take a look at this:

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/screenrant.com

upload_2019-5-9_6-44-56.png

Screenrant is the National Enquirer of movie review sites. Nothing they say can be considered valid or true because they do not provide any proof or numbers or sources for anything they write. They often copy and paste from other sites, and they also create false rumors, fake news and make unsubstantiated claims.

upload_2019-5-9_6-47-45.png

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Answer this question for me. So, if discovery is no longer to be spoken of by Pike and Spock then why is it called Star Trek - Discovery? My guess that season 3 they will pick up into the future with Michael being the main character and the discovery crew tackling the borg.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Answer this question for me. So, if discovery is no longer to be spoken of by Pike and Spock then why is it called Star Trek - Discovery? My guess that season 3 they will pick up into the future with Michael being the main character and the discovery crew tackling the borg.

There is no logical answer for that. Or for other questions that the extremely poorly thought out ending caused. As stated upthread the only fix here would be to push Discovery to the future by some time anomaly that completely erases the existence both of the ship and of all on board (and anything they did beforehand) from history.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There is no logical answer for that. Or for other questions that the extremely poorly thought out ending caused. As stated upthread the only fix here would be to push Discovery to the future by some time anomaly that completely erases the existence both of the ship and of all on board (and anything they did beforehand) from history.

Season 1 incited the fans to complain about the hairless Klingons, the dark sets and the lack of mention of the bridge characters as well as the spore drive. Season 2 responded by putting hair on the Klingons, trying to explain canon inconsistencies by bringing in Spock and Pike and the Enterprise, introducing the bridge crew and turning up the lights. The result at Season 2's end was still failure. So, now they are going to take another chance at fixing the show by putting it in the future where there is no canon to conflict with. The problem with that is that they needed to do that BEFORE interacting with the Enterprise, Pike, Spock, and showing us a bunch of dumb unfamiliar ships and a Klingon race and culture that does not at all resemble canon. I am hearing the jump forward is going to be about 900 years. If that is true, just how relevant will this ship and crew be? Nothing they have will be modern. Besides that, they still have the deus ex machina of the time suit and dumb "time crystals". It is still going to continue failing.

CBS is throwing good money after bad, and they are not going to make that money back. Already, Star Trek conventions are suffering. Nobody wants to see the Discovery cast and they are not buying merchandise because none exists. Licensees do not want Discovery stuff because they can't sell it. The show is not driving new CBS All Access subscriptions. I think that if the CBS Viacom merger happens, Sherri Redstone will see to it that Kurtzman is fired and that Discovery and Picard and anything else in the Kurtzman pipeline is canceled.

I do not have high hopes for the Picard show.

Last edited: