Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Interesting:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
std focuses too much on the characters and not enough on the story

of course, this is entirely based on my extremely limited exposure to it through ads and yt vids

TOS and TNG , voyager, etc.. they all had character stories but they were all subservient to the overall story of the "mission". i don't get a sense of any mission in std

What story? There is no story. This show has removed the "Trek" from Star Trek.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, this is good and also hilarious! Be SURE to follow this to YouTube and read the comments!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
About to watch the latest episode. Wanna make a prediction right now about the red angel.

I bet it'll turn out to be Michael Burnham.
I was about to say "called it", but alas, I can't.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I think that's because the idea was from the start that he would only be there for one season, to make a bridge to the original series. I'm guessing that at the end of this season they will introduce a new character. Perhaps Kirk.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think that's because the idea was from the start that he would only be there for one season, to make a bridge to the original series. I'm guessing that at the end of this season they will introduce a new character. Perhaps Kirk.

This is exactly right. Captain Pike's ship is the USS Enterprise. Anyone who came onboard from the Enterprise will be leaving. One got killed in the beginning of the season "mansplaining" while flying in the shuttle through the asteroids, then Number One had about 2 minutes of airtime, and Captain Pike needs to go back to the Enterprise and do the events of The Cage. Anson Mount was not "fired" so much as his role was complete in the show. Also, you have a point. Each season appears to build up to a character which comes on stage at the end. This season that character was Spock. He should be leaving too (hopefully). I am still shocked this show got a 3rd season. It is not improving in viewership from what I can tell.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm actually finding myself looking forward to new episodes these days and am not disappointed.

Yeah yeah. Come out and say I'm not a real Star Trek fan. I just have all Star Trek movies (except for the new ones) and series on DVD and have watched TNG, DS9 and Voyager at least five times and the rest less but still multiple times.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm actually finding myself looking forward to new episodes these days and am not disappointed.

Yeah yeah. Come out and say I'm not a real Star Trek fan. I just have all Star Trek movies (except for the new ones) and series on DVD and have watched TNG, DS9 and Voyager at least five times and the rest less but still multiple times.

I have no problem with people watching this show, and nah, I don't necessarily challenge anyone's fan credentials for liking it. But the reality is that this show is not really aligned with Star Trek (but The Orville is). As an example, let's say 10 people ordered the same dish in a restaurant, say...a hamburger. Without notifying the guests beforehand that the chef does not know how to make hamburgers, the restaurant served up grilled chicken sandwiches. EVERYONE will be taken by surprise, and of the 10 people who ordered, most will be unhappy with the substitution but a couple of them might just accept the chicken sandwich anyway and not ask questions why they did not get a hamburger. And of that couple of people, maybe one will even say how good the chicken sandwich is, forgetting that they were all supposed to be eating the hamburgers they ordered. This is the situation we have with Discovery AND those reboot movies.

I could forgive Discovery if it at least it tried to be Star Trek, but it is not doing that at all. It could have been a show placed post-Nemesis where they could do what they wanted visually and tonally without affecting established canon. Instead, they are trying to pull some revisionist crap and rewrite established canon so they can use their alternate license to profit Star Trek without being Star Trek.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Another interesting episode of Star Trek: Discovery tonight.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
watched a Yt vid, by someone who is not a fan, saying that STD is possibly moving into origins of the Borg and that this is how they will "erase" non canon stuff and bring it into the canon

something about a time traveling red angel or something as well

i am glad i never started watching it

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
watched a Yt vid, by someone who is not a fan, saying that STD is possibly moving into origins of the Borg and that this is how they will "erase" non canon stuff and bring it into the canon

something about a time traveling red angel or something as well

i am glad i never started watching it

The thing is, the writers of STD do not have the capability to write canon-level Star Trek. They are not smart enough. They lack the intellect, the background in Star Trek lore, and interest in science and complex stories of exploration. Every episode, every story arc and every character is part of some interpersonal story having nothing really to do with space exploration or alien cultures or building on existing Star Trek principles.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Another interesting episode of Star Trek: Discovery tonight.

I laughed at several things in the episode, but I don't think they were meant to be funny. :) This show is a piece of work, no doubt. But it still isn't Star Trek.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Notice that if anything the importance of Michael Burnham to the universe has been increased yet more. Where does it go next?

More and more the show feels like it is about an ordinary schlub named Michael Burnham working at a fast food restaurant who daydreams about being a Starfleet officer - hence her hilariously exaggerated importance to everything and her over the top Mary Sue qualities. What we see in the show is her daydreams.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The thing is, the writers of STD do not have the capability to write canon-level Star Trek. They are not smart enough. They lack the intellect, the background in Star Trek lore, and interest in science and complex stories of exploration. Every episode, every story arc and every character is part of some interpersonal story having nothing really to do with space exploration or alien cultures or building on existing Star Trek principles.

that is more or less what the video maker said. seems he wants them to be successful at spinning it around but still feels that they are incapable

let me find that

<<ps-- i would like to see the origin of the Borg hashed out on a live show/movie. seems they had some story worked up for an episode of ENTERPRISE which they wanted Alice Krige for--who would have played the human that became the Borg queen. the ep would have built on what we already know from first contact and the ep with the borg in enterprise>>

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
here it is..kurtzman's jigsaw puzzle (which seemingly has no foreseeable solution)

again, glad i am NOT watching this

like how you are glad you are not in a car wreck but can't take your eyes off of it, kind of way

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
oh and i see that the klingons now have hair!!!

there could have been a smart way to 'fix' that massive klingon appearance f$ck up

we almost never have seen subject peoples of the empire, faithful subjects would/ may have been able to call themselves 'klingon' in the same way non italic ppls were able to call themselves 'roman'

the s1 std klingons could have been that

or, they could have been descendants of another species of klingon that the core canon klingons defeated and forced off of Q'onos in the past

being from q'onos originally could have also given them the 'right' to claim they are klingon

but no, like you say, these showrunners are just plain shallow and dumb lacking imagination that is meaningful

many may still not like it, but at least in enterprise (and just a small bit in DS9) we got a 'fix' for the diff in appearances with TOS and movie/TOS klingons

it was an explanation that could make sense in a sci fi kind of way

have the std jerk offs ever attempted to explain their choice of appearance in klingons? i am guessing they have not and are probably of a mind that makes them believe they are somehow above having to give explanations

now some shows work well without everything explained...ST is not one of them. there is too much canon/history out there to be f^cking with it without an explanation

what a shit-show, shitshow