Random Banter

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the JDF has been in a growth state for the past few yrs. the new changes for military activity in the constitution requires more personnel

they got a bunch of strange commercials for all the branches

Why is there a Japanese military at all? They don't need one.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member

Given China's increasing hostility and expanding unilateral claims of the South China Sea I don't see why Japan wouldn't want to be able to protect itself. China is trying to increase its footprint into international waters with man-made islands. They're already at odds with American forces running exercises in that region. Someone is going to eventually push that game of chicken one step too far.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Given China's increasing hostility and expanding unilateral claims of the South China Sea I don't see why Japan wouldn't want to be able to protect itself. China is trying to increase its footprint into international waters with man-made islands. They're already at odds with American forces running exercises in that region. Someone is going to eventually push that game of chicken one step too far.

LMAO, Japan can't protect itself against China no matter what they do. They are wasting time and money on a military. China is one of the big boys now, militarily. Only Russia, the US and North Korea have enough force to threaten it. If China and Russia ever ally into a unified force, they will be more powerful than the United States on EVERY level, including nuclear.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
LMAO, Japan can't protect itself against China no matter what they do. They are wasting time and money on a military. China is one of the big boys now, militarily. Only Russia, the US and North Korea have enough force to threaten it. If China and Russia ever ally into a unified force, they will be more powerful than the United States on EVERY level, including nuclear.

China could also annihilate Europe. The point of having a military for a country like Japan is its effectiveness as a deterrent. However big and advanced your military is you'll think twice about invading a country that is armed vs a country waving broomsticks and pickaxes. Iraq's military compared to America was the equivalent of Star Trek vs the stone age, figuratively speaking. Look how well that turned out.

For what concerns China and Russia vs the US, no matter how strong the the former alliance is there is assured mutual destruction for all parties involved.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
China could also annihilate Europe. The point of having a military for a country like Japan is its effectiveness as a deterrent. However big and advanced your military is you'll think twice about invading a country that is armed vs a country waving broomsticks and pickaxes. Iraq's military compared to America was the equivalent of Star Trek vs the stone age, figuratively speaking. Look how well that turned out.

For what concerns China and Russia vs the US, no matter how strong the the former alliance is there is assured mutual destruction for all parties involved.

This is true. But the deterrence factor will be new for the US. For the first time in history, another superpower would be able to tell the United States "NO", and be able to back it up with enough power to stand their ground. The South China Sea may or may not fall under China's authority, but one thing is for sure: The US has absolutely no claim to anything over there.

Japan is still wasting their time. They aren't in NATO and they have no nukes or any air force that would make anyone take pause. Both the Koreas have more personnel in their militaries than the US or Russia does.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
This is true. But the deterrence factor will be new for the US. For the first time in history, another superpower would be able to tell the United States "NO", and be able to back it up with enough power to stand their ground. The South China Sea may or may not fall under China's authority, but one thing is for sure: The US has absolutely no claim to anything over there.

Japan is still wasting their time. They aren't in NATO and they have no nukes or any air force that would make anyone take pause. Both the Koreas have more personnel in their militaries than the US or Russia does.

Agree with most of what you say except the part about Japan wasting their time. I encourage them to build their own military, even if it's just a scarecrow. They have a lot at stake in the region.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Agree with most of what you say except the part about Japan wasting their time. I encourage them to build their own military, even if it's just a scarecrow. They have a lot at stake in the region.

If they want efficient deterrence, then they should jump right into nukes and drone equipment. Forget about building carriers and ships and submarines, because they would be destroyed in dock before ever setting sail to address any incursions. However, a swarm of say....1000 armed drones flying as a coordinated unit could take out a ship, a jet, and hundreds of soldiers and not risk a single life. A nuclear armed backbone would deter outright invasion.

Frankly, I am tired of the US being the global bully. Yes, I am American and I served in the US military, but I also know we are the world's bully and we have been stealing everyone's lunch money and daring them to do anything about it. Time for that to end.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

they absolutely do!!!

this way we can get the hell out of there; that was a fast one they pulled back in the 50's when they obligingly agreed to not have a military!

way for them to put all of their efforts into rebuilding the nation and their industrial power with us being the guard dog for them

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

there main issue s china and then, if they ever do, a united Korea

if war broke out it would be one based on long held hatreds and sparked anew by some perceived threat or aggressive act over these islands claimed by japan-- a similar situation exists in the east sea with islands claimed by both koreas and japan as well

the islands would just be excuses for the chinese and/or koreans to avenge past wrongs nether nation feels they have ever been atoned for by the Japanese

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
had to stop ep 7 season 3 of VAN HELSING

it is really racking up the SJW cred

--context for those who don't partake

in this world of VH there is an ancient order of kick ass vampires, all female, called The Sisterhood

they hold their vampirism almost as a religion and worship as such where most other vampires just have a kind of 'meh..just trying to make it' attitude

therefore, the Sisterhood has always held as in as nearly bad contempt, other vampires as they do for humans----

so, we get this male vampire character last season who was sent to make an alliance with the Sisterhood

his boss got whacked so one Sister takes him under her care, he is a masterless vamp

this ep, we see him tied down to a altar of a type, surrounded by the surviving sisters, he wants to be a full time member of the gang

so, they say, sure. they give him their face scars and say "one more thing"

he says "what's that?" Sister number 1 pulls out a big old honking set of old fashioned iron snips

yup, we now have a case of a sex reassignment surgery, by a vampire, in the SYFY (note spelling) world

btw--other then this, it is still a pretty decent show

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
its ok..i can handle your rejection

just know that:

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You two may force me to start deleting comments....:daniel01:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
re-watched this today

one of my favorite scenes from a comedy

"i'm a dude that's playing the dude pretending to be another dude"

apropos in many ways

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Baiting posts have been DELETED. I will delete any more of them that show up here. :icon_neutral:

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
If they want efficient deterrence, then they should jump right into nukes and drone equipment. Forget about building carriers and ships and submarines, because they would be destroyed in dock before ever setting sail to address any incursions. However, a swarm of say....1000 armed drones flying as a coordinated unit could take out a ship, a jet, and hundreds of soldiers and not risk a single life. A nuclear armed backbone would deter outright invasion.

Frankly, I am tired of the US being the global bully. Yes, I am American and I served in the US military, but I also know we are the world's bully and we have been stealing everyone's lunch money and daring them to do anything about it. Time for that to end.

Agree again with most of your post except Japan acquiring nukes. They don't need an absolute deterrent, just enough to make others think twice about coming ashore. I don't expect Japan could hold off an all-out assault by China under any circumstance, even if they had nukes. That's what allies are for.

Last edited: